Failed Car Inspection.

Guest the.rev

Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guests

yea i have a 93 formula firebird... got it inspected the other day ... and it got the big R...and he said the my steering wheel has a bad pull.... i noticed it i guess but it doesnt seem big to me... might be the tire rods he said and if its that then correct me if im wrong but thats like 600 bucks.... thats how much my friend payed for his to be replaced...

Also one of my brakelights...the left side... is dimmer then the other said making cops think thats it out but its just like half as bright.. (already got new bulbs same thing) i assumed it had to be the wiring to those lights or something cuz the reverse and park lights on the left side are bright like the rest of the car just the 2 brake lights are duller....

Any of this (mainly the expensive stuff) am i able to repair myself...

Suggestions... comments... anything would be helpful... thnx

With the steering, it could be a number of different thing. You might have worn steering components, tires could be bad, or the alignment is just out. Take it to a good mechanic and have it checked out and a good estimate on the repairs if needed.

The buld that is dim is probably something to do with the wiring. More the likely a wire has been partially grounded where it shouldn't be. That is some thing you might be able to check out. Look for the ground connection and make sure it is secure (but it should be since the other bulbs are working fine). And look at all the other wires to ensure they aren't exposed.

Let me know if this helps.

Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guests

i checked the wiring very quickly.. is there an instrument i could use to like say .... cut a little of the covering off and touch the wire itself to see how far down into the wiring i am losing power?...

i want to get stuff fixed the cheapest possible way but fixing it good 2 tho... tough to find a good mechanic if you dont know of any already... have to ask around...

my tires are pretty good... perellis.... not that much wear... but i gotta get it looked at .... =\

Wiring can be pretty tricky. Make sure you do a good visual inspection of all the wire to see if the outer covering is gone and exposing the wire. The tool to check the wiring is called a voltmeter. You can use it to check continuity of the wires, but it can be a little hard if you don't know about it.

Make some calls to repair facilities and to freinds to get the best one for the money.

The way it was setup in Missouri was that a local garage could certify the vehicle. It wasnt done by a state official just certified mechanics. If you didnt pass at one place you could take it down the road and hope the next guy would pass it. Considering how picky those things were I bet another guy wouldnt mind it. I had to do that for a crach in my windshield once. One guy said it was in the driver's view and the next guy never mentioned it.

If you have to get certified at a state run place than that wont work. :disgust:

i'm not like a master electrician or anything. But you asked for a tool to measure. Get a multimeter, see how many amps are being delivered to the light. If the light requires a certain amount of Amps to light up and it's not recieving that much, then you have to trace back to the problem. It's all about troubleshooting!

What really suprises me is that the communists of Michigan doesnt even require a car safety inspection... at all!

They don't in Florida either, or at least not in the Tampa Bay area, but now I'm living in Atlanta, GA, but they only check for emissions, not any of that other crap.

Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guests

im gonna try going to a diff place .. i never said i had to go to a state official place did i? cause its just a cert mech... multimeter or voltmeter? same thing?