DDR memory question

Chief

I saw HOmer's post in Rev's thread about 1GB RAM for HL2 and some of the newer games coming out and that got me to thinking. I only have two sticks of 256 memory (512 total).

the question:

Will my DDR be happy/stable with a 512 stick AND the two 256s?

I have ASUS A7n8x Deluxe. If it will, I assume that it should go in slot 1 and the two small ones in 2 & 3?

It'll be a while before I could afford this anyway, but it might be worth asking for for christmas.

Thanks in advance!

LUUUNNNNNNKKKKK!!!!! Ack! On "Dual-DDR" boards like the 800mhz FSB Intel and nForce2 boards you NEED to have RAM in pairs ONLY for the "Dual" to be happening. Lunk buy another 512mb stick! You are running at basically half speed!!!

And the RAM should be correctly rated, speed wise. 333mhz Barton chips should be running DDR333/PC2700 DDR (the DDR and PC designations are synonymous). If you have the 400mhz FSB AMD or 800mhz FSB Intel chip you should be using PC3200/DDR400. These RAM comments also assume no overclocking.

(edited)

heres how my amd deluxe works..

you have 3 memory banks, as long as one stick is in slot one, it doesnt matter which the other is in, it will be Dual channel. I have 1x512 and 1x256 and the book says the size doesnt of the chip doesnt matter as long as they are in the correct slots so im pretty sure its running dual channel..

Edited by NOFX

I'm looking at that too in the manual Chief, bizarre. EVERYTHING I've read (numerous places on the net) and personally talked to at my local pc shop says pairs only and of the same size and type. Anything in an odd number of modules drops it back to "Single-DDR" status. I'm wondering if it's a typo....

Now checking a bunch of manuals online at different manuf's websites..... Some don't mention it at all, some say "2 or more" for "maximum performance".

From this article on Tom's about the nForce2:

DIMM Support:

1 DIMM@DDR400 Single

2 DIMM@DDR400 Dual

2 DIMM@DDR333 Dual

3 DIMM@DDR333 Single

In addition, we took the fastest board (Asus) and repeated the benchmark suite with only single-channel mode to find out what the real performance gap is

And then the benchmarks show virtually no change in performance from the single to dual setup. Very odd.