Need help! Buying New MOBO!

Guest AlphaTeam

Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guests

I'm stuck between SOYO DRAGON KT333 ULTRA PLATINUM EDITION

and Asus A7 - series. I'll be puting in AMD XP 2400 CPU, 512 MB of GEIL PC3500 DDR. Any thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Alpha

Asus is known for the quality motherboards. I've been using Asus motherboards for over 7 years and they are really reliable.

I'm not familiar with that particular Soyo so I can't really do a comparison. But I have an A7 series Asus and it's been going well for a long time.

Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guests

well im looking into the new KT400 series boards that has the new VIA chipset. Also a board that will support higher memory speeds (like DDR400+). I like ASUS for two reasons; stability and lower price in comparison to other KT400 boards.

Well, thanks for the reply DJ, I should look into ABIT, gigabite, and MSI as well. I just wisj that nForce2 boards are out!!!

Alpha

I agree with DJ. I've been using Asus boards for a few years now and have no problems at all and they have been really stable.

I run an Asus A7V333 currently with an AMD 2200 and a gig of Corsair 2700 XMS DDR memory. I havent any problems whatsoever.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Kt400 in its current state performs LESS than Kt333 ram and boards.

one exception is this gigabye kt400 board. take a look at it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1721

And it is looking like Nvidia's Nforce-2 chipset is leading up to be the best of the batch when it is released soon. Reviews of it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1719

good luck.

ZD

AMD sucks you say? Why would you say that?

They provide very good performance for the price. I've been using AMD for the past few years and they are great! I've never had quality issues as long as I don't try anything dumb like overclock.

The Intel lovers should be happy that AMD is around or Intel chip prices would be double what they are today.