Crime and Punishment

Last night I read something that made me honest to goodness angry. Now I don't get angry every day, in fact, most of the time I hold my cool after others have lost it....but last night I got tinkled OFF.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/09/missing....dent/index.html

(this is an article about the subject, not what I read...can't find that now)

Ok, so this convicted sex offender that they captured, he had just gotten out after serving 23 (or 26 can't rem, its early) years in prison. This guy was categorized as a sexual predator, the most dangerous of sexual criminals, and the most likely to strike again, with violence. This guys own sister had asked the police to watch him because she felt that he was a threat to strike again. Now the police have matched blood and given up on the search for this poor girl, and I can understand why. At this point, shes probably dead.

AND THIS REALLY tinkleES ME OFF!!!!

Everyone who knew this guy, including his sister, thought he was a threat to strike again, and they let the sob out of prison to roam free and attack again. Now I'm a firm believe in paying for your crimes and afterwards a clean slate...but come on! Can people like this man ever be reformed?

Ok, so I'm babbling now because a night of sleep later it still tinklees me off.

Can we reform criminals? Should we enhance our use of the death penalty to include more serious crimes for those who probably can't be reformed?

Any thought?

Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guest the.rev
Guests

i dont think it said that have stopped looking? maybe i read incorrectly but they said they dont believe for her to be alive anymore but the search for her is far from over..

"It looks, at this time ... like there's no chance we're going to find Dru alive," Grand Forks County Sheriff Dan Hill told reporters. "I believe that it is more of a recovery than a rescue [mission] at this point in time."

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty added, "This is not over by a long shot, and the search and the efforts continue."

I agree he shoudn't have been let out of jail.. i dont know sentences for raping or w/e but 23 years is long... i guess someone could reform in that amount of time. obviously not this guy.

first off...why is this in Spirituality?

secondly I believe we can reform most criminals...but there is a certain type of human that is just beyond hope when it comes to things like this......and this man seems to be one.

I'm of the opinion that our punishment system is WAAAY too lenient....in my opinion things like rape = death penalty.

murder = death penalty

now don't think that I mean we should just throw around the death penalty. I think, say in a murder case, 12 impartial jurors should be selected (i.e. they don't hold previous opinions about this specific case) and they should be presented with the facts of the case and if they find that there is no doubt the accused did it...death penalty....

I actually look at countries like Singapore and think they have AMAZING criminal justice systems and wish we had those too.

Why in Spirituality?

Well I was attempting to start a conversation about the using Punishment as a way to reform criminals (like our system is set up to) or whether we should just be punishing them, also maybe sneak in a bit of a death penalty debate in here, but it doesn't look like that happened.

oh well. :peace:

I'm in total agreement with Willie.

Willie Nelson that is...

"Take all the rope in Texas find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys, hang'em high in the street for all the people to see"

I think if you used the worst of criminals as object lessons, that it would serve as a lesson for those that might follow in their footsteps. I can understand prison terms for lighter crime, but sicko's like this need to have their necks stretched. This man should not have been given a second chance to do this...and I don't want to spend my tax dollars to feed and clothe this guy until he dies of extreme old age.

My only issue with the death penalty is the possibility of an innocent being condemned, but I believe that with our legal system and advances in technology, those condemned have a resonable opportunity to free themselfes if wrongly imprisoned.

"We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces

Singin Wiskey for my men,

Beer for my Horses!"

Edited by White Knight