XP Home?

LongHair

Intro: After i built my machine back in March... I think it was march... anywho, when I was setting up the internet connection, I set it up as:

"Connect to Internet by Broadband" (connected to internet at all times)

I used this one because I had my other computer and was going through my netgear router.

What i should have chosen was:

"Connect to Internet by PPPoE or DSL that requires a Login and Password"

Unfortunately when I try to go back to that spot... and create a new connection, that choice is no longer available to me.

Anyone, know how I can fix this? Unfortunately I bought the copy OEM so Microsoft won't help me without dropping $35

Edited by LongHair

In XP Pro here at work at least:

Start | Control Panel | Network Conections

Create a new connection (opens wizard)

Wizard:

Next

Connect to the Interent

Set up my connection manually

Connect using broadband connection that requires a user name and password (Under this it says "This is a high-speed connection using either DSL or cable modem. Your ISP may refer to this type of connection as PPPoE.")

Hopefully Home is the same.

Homer,Jan 7 2004, 05:32 PM] In XP Pro here at work at least:

Start | Control Panel | Network Conections

Create a new connection  (opens wizard)

Wizard:

Next

Connect to the Interent

Set up my connection manually

Connect using broadband connection that requires a user name and password  (Under this it says "This is a high-speed connection using either DSL or cable modem.  Your ISP may refer to this type of connection as PPPoE.")

Hopefully Home is the same.

Yeah, this is exactly the same as Home... BUT... the choice that I want to choose is not available. ITs not "dark" so to speak...its that type of light grey that means that choice isn't gonna work... actually the

"Connect using broadband connection that requires a user name and password" is the light grey... but the

This is a high-speed connection using either DSL or cable modem. Your ISP may refer to this type of connection as PPPoE is black... like the choice should be available...

Playaa... I almost brought the hammer in... as I have decided not to imbibe alcohol for awhile, my frustrations were quite high last night.

Follow-up question: A complete reinstall of XP Home... what will i lose and what will stay?

Before you reformat, as much of a fan of it as I am, it seems like you should just be able to delete all your internet connections and start over.

So your other/old pc was going through the netgear router. Is this one going through the router as well? If it is you should be setting up the PPPoE password, login, etc. in the router itself. WinXP would be nothing special setup-wise then.

Can you tell us if the old PC went away and/or the netgear router?

I don't recommend this yet Longhair, but here's the skinny:

Reformat: You'll lose everything on your C drive. This is the only option I ever do 'cause if Windows is tinkleing me off this much and I can't fix it it deserves to die before I reincarnate it.

Reinstall: Most stuff will remain, you may have to reinstall some programs. You email messages, data should all be there - but back up everything before you start. You never know.

I think you are going through the router still, and that's why it's grayed out.

Homer,Jan 7 2004, 09:01 PM]

Can you tell us if the old PC went away and/or the netgear router?

the old computer is exactly that... its old. Its still a good machine, but if/when it dies, then I won't be able to access the router settings.

Right now both computers are running through the router. I would like to get it so that my gameing/main machine will be able to function without the router and without the other computer.

I figured that a full zap may be needed. I have a secondary HD that I can move most things too, so all the sensitive stuff and non-replaceable (downloadable drivers) I should be able to hold onto with little remorse.

As far as deleting the existing connections, I think I've tried that in the past (I knew this was gonna be aproblem, but never wanted to address it until now...)

Here are the current connections I show under LAN or High-Speed Internet:

1) 1394 Connection 2, enabled, 1394 net adapter. (its 2 becuz I deleted the first one)

2) Local Area Connection 3, Network cable unplugged, NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

3) Local Area Connection 4, enabled, 3Com #A###A-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (This is my current connection to the internet)

Thanks for all your help Homer... I owe ya beer.

If you are connecting through a router, it is the router that needs to be set up for PPPoE. I didn't see a way in XP Pro to change a current connection (broadband, no password) to a PPPoE one but I was able to do the New Connection Wizard and set one up. I really don't think MS would make it so that you would have to reinstall to change this.

As I'm understanding this you have:

PC1 = old PC

PC2 = new PC

DSL Router

|

|

|

Netgear Gateway Router---------PC1 (PPPoE)

|

|

|

PC2

And this is what I think you need to do:

DSL Router

|

|

|

Netgear Gateway Router (PPPoE)---------PC1

|

|

|

PC2

It seems that you need to log into the Netgear router, open up http://192.168.1.1 in IE and use 'admin' for password (that is default). From there you will be able to set up the PPPoE information. Then both PC's should just be setup to connect to the internet via LAN and that should be it. You should probably delete network connections of PC1 and PC2 after entering in the PPPoE info into the Netgear, and then start over.

Homer,Jan 8 2004, 12:51 PM]

DSL Router

|

|

|

|

|

|

PC2

^

||

||

Actually, this is what I got running right now...

i can also do this

DSL Router

|

|

|

PC1(PPPoE)

but this is what I CAN'T do... and would like to be able to do.

DSL Router

|

|

|

PC2

I'm thinking I have to do the reinstall... shouldn't be too bad. I jsut can't bring myself to throw another $35 to Microsoft.

Some basics just to be sure -

1. You did setup your PPPoE by logging onto the Netgear router itself? PC1 should NOT be setup via the Windows wizard to be PPPoE.

2. If this is so, then PC2 should be online with this setup, by configuring it for LAN:

DSL Router

|

|

|

|

|

|

PC2

but this:

DSL Router

|

|

|

Netgear Gateway Router ---------PC1 (PPPoE)

|

|

|

PC2

would explain all the problems.

3. Can you do this:

DSL Router

|

|

|

PC1(PPPoE)

by just swapping cables from PC1 to the DSL router directly (bypassing the Netgear router)? If so then PPPoE is set up on PC1 and not the Netgear router and this is the issue.

4. Can each PC1 AND PC2 connect to the Netgear box under your current setup, by logging onto http://192.168.1.1 ?

5. Since you say you want to do this:

DSL Router

|

|

|

PC2 [assumed PPPoE here]

and not this:

DSL Router

|

|

|

Netgear Router (PPPoE)

|

|

|

PC2

is there a reason the Netgear box is going away? You're losing your firewall.

6. Are you using a crossover cable (typically supplied with a DSL router) to connect to PC2? A standard CAT5 cable should be used.

Can you check these out and report back point by point?