The story about the 2 sisters...

I am vaguely familier with the story. Its Lot and his two daughters. I cannot tell you the moral to the story and common sense (and scripture comparing) would tell you what God thinks about it.

You have to remember that some of the stories in the Bible are actually just stories. You can draw morals from it but they are not specifically pointed out. I guess the one thing that comes to mind is the repercussions of our actions. Lot chose wrong. He allowed his family to live in a wicked place and those values rubbed off on his kids. I could see it as a consequence of his own greedy and selfish decisions.

actually Rev makes an EXCELLENT point that alot of people (including myself) tend to miss.

quite often in the Bible when it's talking about something it's not necessarily saying it's wrong or right...

people get too caught up in the word "sin".

Paul said "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial". In context he was talking about eating meat in front of your brother who thought it was wrong...but he was also saying that just because he COULD do anything didn't mean he SHOULD.

(my above post actually has nothing to do with Lot and his daughters)

Yeah that's kinda common sense tho Playaa..

And that story to me tell me that it is ok for a girl to sleep with her dad to get pregnant if no other men were around, to continue their "family line" as it says... The way it sits, without any other mention that's pretty much how you have to look at it.. Now I could think that maybe the text wasn't complete, or more of that story had been omitted somehow(like what happened to Lots wife?).. I can't see that as punishment was Lot recognized the wickedness of the other men in the city amd kept the angels safe.. That was his test? Then the offspring of these acts live to be prosperous peoples.. The Moabites? And the Ammonites? Do we know these people today?

whoa. Slow down there, Watch. ;)

If you will notice I said that you could discern God's thoughts on the whole thing by comparing scripture with scripture. Leviticus 18 talks about such stuff.

As far as it being Lot's punishment... I really didnt say that. Lot made some wrong choices. The first wrong choice was when he chose the "well watered plains of Jordan" completely disregarding Abraham. Then he "pitched his tent toward Sodom" which was always described as a wicked place. In essence he was seperating from Abraham (he could have just as easily pitched his tent toward Abraham) and moving toward Sodom. We know his heart was leading him that way because he eventually moved into the city and even became a prominant figure there.

The Moabites and the Ammonites were always opposed to the children of Isreal. The Ammonites in particular were known for their cruelty. I couldnt tell you who they are today.

Jesus too maybe :huh:;)

Anyways, if you get the chance Watch(though that chance will most likely be a while from now since its boring) try reading Leviticus. Its the whole Law written down, so as to show all the bad and good things that we can do(pretty much). But the thing to remember when reading the fisrt part of Genesis is that this is before Moses and the Law. These people knew of God becasue they could look around and see that He was, and a few of them could hear him. But by far this was a time where God was not yet known and the nation of Isreal was a few hundred years from forming. No law to be seen, besides the law of their hearts, so that they only knew to obey His specific commands. So as to that situation, it was most likely not to Lot's conscience, though he did make a mistake.

We all do. Like playaa said, the fac that we make mistakes doesnt mean theres any more of a lesson than not to sin in every mistake.

did I make anysense there?

jane