new mobo confirmation

SemperFi

so i finally got my parents to agree to help me out in paying for new parts for my comp and i just want a lil confirmation.

from these specs: (i posted on this topic a while back) here is the link if u wanted to take a brief overview look

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...?showtopic=8078

Intel 845 GL Mobo

2.4 Ghz CPU

400 fsb

pc2100 ddr memory

i should be able to buy this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....alog=280&depa=1

and not have to get ANY new parts except for the sound and video card i would like to get

Sound Card

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....y=BROWSE&depa=0

Vid Card

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-301&depa=0

last question.... would i need a new case?

Compaq 6325 CL case whatever thing

(edited)

;)benchmarks

IMO, i would upgrade that memory too, but thats just me...I dont have a clue what kind you'd wanna get, talk to the pros bout that one.

:wavey: hey semp, havent seen you for a while, whats shakin?

jane(gfe)

Edited by jane

that mobo wil work fine with your current cpu/ram.

new case yup. im pretty sure compaq, dell and all of those pc companies make thier own mobo's and cases to no be interchangable and upgradable. you will need an ATX case for that mobo to fit in.

ps. open up your case and let me know what kinda and size of psu you have in there. Im assuming its a 250/300watt psu. Things could get complicated. :blink:

i once had a compaq and to change over to another case i had to get a new psu also because the compaq psu way a bit too small. luckily my mobo had an agp slot or i would have been better off just rebuilding from scratch....

Edited by All Kill3r

The vid card in my system just went out and after tons of research I finally decided on the Radeon 9600. The major difference between the 9600 and the 9600 pro is the cooling system so you can actually purchasea reg 9600 card and overclock it to the 9600 specs and buy a better cooling aparatus than what comes stock on the 9600pro. You can get the 128mb 9600 for 95 and newegg, and the 256mb for 103. and BTW I've only heard this about the Saphire cards so I can't vouch for the other manufacturers.

There would be no sense in buying a mobo that supports 800mhz FSB and a 2.4gig processor if you're going to cheap out on the RAM. Anyways the PC2100(DDR266) has a 2.1Gb/s bandwidth, the PC3200 or (DDR400) has a 3.2Gb/s bandwith, which is just over a 50% increase in performance for the SAME PRICE!? BTW that is comparing Corsair value select ram both the PC2100 and PC3200, you could always research other manufacturers depending on your tastes/funds.

GOOD LUCK!

The vid card in my system just went out and after tons of research I finally decided on the Radeon 9600.  The major difference between the 9600 and the 9600 pro is the cooling system so you can actually purchasea  reg 9600 card and overclock it to the 9600 specs and buy a better cooling aparatus than what comes stock on the 9600pro.  You can get the 128mb 9600 for 95 and newegg, and the 256mb for 103.  and BTW I've only heard this about the Saphire cards so I can't vouch for the other manufacturers.

DOnt think so.

The 9600non pro and pro are different physically and clock wise. So unless you are good with a soldering iron; a non pro will never equal a pro.

Besides no active cooling on the core the heatsink on the GPU flat stinks(for the 9600non pro).

YOu can in no way shape or fashion overclock the ram of a non-pro to pro levels.

Why?

bescause a non pro uses TSOP ram(rectangular ram with visible solder joints) that can't run as fast as the BGA(square chips with no visible solder joints on the sides) memory on a pro. Overclock all you want, but a non pro will not reach the speeds of a pro 9600. Unless you Put some liquid nitrogen on the card. The fact that you cant overclock the core of the 9600 non pro without some bios flashing on the card also makes the 9600np a bad candidate for oc’ing(that combined with the fact that oc’ing the core of any 9600 leads to little performance boost because it only has four rendering pipelines). Lastly, cards like the 9600 series from ati thrive on memory bandwidth. SO a cripple 9600 like the non pro model flat sucks even when you consider the price. The 8500 from ati that came out a few years ago from is as fast as a 9600non pro in almost every game ive played and the 9600np came out much later. Of course a 9600non pro can do direct 9 effects, but its worth less since the non pro is to slow to show off any kind of special direct x 9 features.

Tell you what you can do though. You can pretty much overclock a 9600pro to 9600xt levels. However, a 9600xt will always overclock higher than a 9600pro.

9600pro is always > 9600nonpro

always

9500 pro pwns all :)

Indeed.

One of the best values(along with the 9700pro) that ATI has had in awhile.

Funny that last years ATI mid range card, 9500pro, is still faster than this years ATI card in some tests.

That along with the fact that you could flash 9500's and enable to core to be identical to a 9700 core means the 9500 does pwn.

lol i totally understand it.... and i still never got a confirmation on the thing that i wanted to do.

all i kno is that if i get those parts i need a new case..... but will all those parts work guaranteed with my current specs of my mobo

Let's get to the bottom of whether you have an AGP slot or not first. You wouldn't replace your cars engine when all it needed was an oil change. And, if you're having trouble determining this, well then a motherboard upgrade will be nothing but headaches.

Take a look at this motherboard:

13-121-166-10.JPG

It has 6 white PCI slots (boards may vary in the number or PCI slots they have), then a brown AGP slot which is staggered farther back from the edge than the PCI slots.

Now look at this one:

13-185-024-04.JPG

It has 1 CNR (the small brown slot on the left, your board may or may not have one), and 2 PCI slots. It does not have an AGP slot.

Open your case and tell us what you see as far as slots, and whether or not you have an AGP slot.

right we did. get that mobo you linked to above that i recommended in your previous thread. Get an agp video card for it plus a new case to transfer things to since your old case isnt ATX compatible. Then check that psu and make sure its bigger then 300watts. :D

and yea. the 9500Pro does own all :P

edit * skip that sound card and use on board, take that money and buy my pc3200 ram which will match your cpu like a charm and once all this comes together you will indeed have a nice gamer rig. :boing:

Edited by All Kill3r

I didn't see it explicitly stated in your other thread, I just wanted to double check before you replaced the motherboard.

That motherboard will work with your parts.

This could be a cheaper alternative to the Audigy 2.

As far as a case, I'd suggest getting a case without a PSU unless you are going with an Antec or other well known PSU vendor for a case. I've built several computers lately with the cheaper cases that come with a PSU . I'm less than happy with any of them, although they work ok. I'd go with a cheaper case (~$25) and a ~400w PSU (~$30) that had decent ratings on Newegg, or just drop the $60-75 on an Antec with at least a 350w PSU.

Does your CPU have some proprietary cooling system? If it has a heatsink with ducting through a fan on the back or through the PSU you will surely need a heatsink/fan.

edit * skip that sound card and use on board, take that money and buy my pc3200 ram which will match your cpu like a charm and once all this comes together you will indeed have a nice gamer rig. :boing:

I see no need for PC3200 unless you ever plan on upgrading your CPU, and the RAM could be upgraded at that point instead of now.

The obvious jump would be to a 800mhz FSB CPU with the PC3200 RAM then.

the 1:1 ratio from going to pc3200 from 2100 would help things a lot. not to mention the new mobo hes getting supports 800fsb cpus so say in a few months he could slip a faster 478 in there for cheeeep and be rockin and rollin.... thats just me :rolleyes:

*edit - sorry for going off topic semper, its seems your unhappy with the speed of your PC and sound cards do nothing for that issue... just tryin to help ya out..

Edited by All Kill3r

The vid card in my system just went out and after tons of research I finally decided on the Radeon 9600.  The major difference between the 9600 and the 9600 pro is the cooling system so you can actually purchasea  reg 9600 card and overclock it to the 9600 specs and buy a better cooling aparatus than what comes stock on the 9600pro.  You can get the 128mb 9600 for 95 and newegg, and the 256mb for 103.  and BTW I've only heard this about the Saphire cards so I can't vouch for the other manufacturers.

DOnt think so.

The 9600non pro and pro are different physically and clock wise. So unless you are good with a soldering iron; a non pro will never equal a pro.

Besides no active cooling on the core the heatsink on the GPU flat stinks(for the 9600non pro).

YOu can in no way shape or fashion overclock the ram of a non-pro to pro levels.

Why?

bescause a non pro uses TSOP ram(rectangular ram with visible solder joints) that can't run as fast as the BGA(square chips with no visible solder joints on the sides) memory on a pro. Overclock all you want, but a non pro will not reach the speeds of a pro 9600. Unless you Put some liquid nitrogen on the card. The fact that you cant overclock the core of the 9600 non pro without some bios flashing on the card also makes the 9600np a bad candidate for oc’ing(that combined with the fact that oc’ing the core of any 9600 leads to little performance boost because it only has four rendering pipelines). Lastly, cards like the 9600 series from ati thrive on memory bandwidth. SO a cripple 9600 like the non pro model flat sucks even when you consider the price. The 8500 from ati that came out a few years ago from is as fast as a 9600non pro in almost every game ive played and the 9600np came out much later. Of course a 9600non pro can do direct 9 effects, but its worth less since the non pro is to slow to show off any kind of special direct x 9 features.

Tell you what you can do though. You can pretty much overclock a 9600pro to 9600xt levels. However, a 9600xt will always overclock higher than a 9600pro.

9600pro is always > 9600nonpro

always

With the 256MB 9600 not the 128mb....

so the 128Mb 9600non-pro doesnt have slow TSOP ram and a GPU that requires flashing before you are able to overclock?

If so.

May I see a picture(link) of the card to which you are referring.

Cause the 9600nonpro I have fits the description of everything I have mentioned that a 9600non pro is.

no i like my comp speed i think its perfectly fine its just the sound and graphics that i hate... onboard is the worst. fo shizzle dizzle

well my decision is to just get a new sound card a new graphics card probably wont help out cs

im going with the sound blaster audigy 2 zs

so the 128Mb 9600non-pro doesnt have slow TSOP ram and a GPU that requires flashing before you are able to overclock?

If so.

Cause the 9600nonpro I have fits the description of everything I have mentioned that a 9600non pro is.

Other way around....the 256MB one is the one that I've been told that can be overclocked.

If so.

Other way around....the 256MB one is the one that I've been told that can be overclocked.

either way.

I dont think the non pro's can taken to pro levels.

unless it's some special non pro that's sold some place i've never heard of.

methinks you've been a lil' mislead.

If so.

either way.

I dont think the non pro's can taken to pro levels.

unless it's some special non pro that's sold some place i've never heard of.

methinks you've been a lil' mislead.

I think I'm going to go with this one and give it a try. If it works I'll let you know....