Windows 98

jane

if you own Windows XP you can legally use any prior version of windows in it's place, excluding Windows 2000, without buying it.

Really?

how do you get CD keys for the older OS's from Miicro$oft?

janey,

yea the mult os works great. I think I'll always build pc's with it.

Bootmagic gives you the configuration in windows to set the timer and set the os default. This means when you boot up the system the bootmagic screen comes up and gives you a certain time to pick your os. if you do not pick one it boots into the default.

So i set my timer to 5 seconds with xp as default. That way when you boot up you can walk away and it will go into your normal system and wont just hang there in the bootmagic menu.

i like it alot.

There is a catch to setting up but it's real easy.

you have to make your first partition for 98se. The second is xp. 98 does not allow to be installed on anything but the first so if you install xp on the first partition 98 will want to format and erase it. Once 98 is on the first though xp handels real nice and detects 98 and defaults to the other partition. It still asks you which partition but you just pick the ntfs partition and it installs nicely.

take a look at the partition magic OEM.

Auggy

OS's that I have used....Quickmenu(program that ran under dos) not really an OS. I got windows 3.0 and 3.1 on 1.44 floppy. Windows 95 upgrade, win 98, win 98 second edtion, 2000 professional, XP pro. I also had a commadore. I mean I didnt buy this old stuff, but my dad had it when I was a kid and I remeber it real well.

my opinion is win 98 second and before is less secure. Back in the day I could run port scans over a local dial-up isp, find machines that are vunerable and completely take over. even use their username/pass to do all the dirty work...Alot of that stuff is about firewalls rather than OS's. Its not that 98 has more vunerablities, I think its that its easier to create vunerablities in 98. You cant do that stuff as easy nowadays...... or can you....... :ph34r:

heh Ive never used ME. I thought it was the biggest rip off ever. It comes out in 2000, but is based off 98 instead of NT. But I did leave out mandrake and redhat.

i am running 98 now.  anything i can do to make it work my cpu as fast as possible.  i have an intel celeron 1.3.  anything i can do to make it go faster?

give it more voltage. :boing:

Windows Xp Pro is the best OS i have used by a long shot. Its stable. Never tried any Linux but i want to, its becoming very popular and i hear good things