Freezing and squeaking?

Playaa

great...now my PC is freaking out again. Just started a couple days ago. Funny thing is I have more fans now than I used to and I installed them weeks ago. Now when I play games (and only when I play games) my pc will randomly freeze on me...plus even when it IS working I get these freaky squeeks through my speakers....it's kinda like the sound a record player makes when someone scratches the needle...but very quick...like not even 1/2 a second...

I finally opened up my case and pointed a nice large house fan in there and it hasn't froze...but the squeek sound comes through more often now.

I've only noticed it happening when my headphones with built in mic are turned on...

that doesn't mean it DOESN'T happen when not using my headset but I don't know because I don't use my speakers to play games

I use this to plug in my headphones and speakers together...so my computer doesn't know my microphone exists when my speakers are switched on (I've tested it, the mic doesn't work unless I have the switch on Headphones...and my mic is built into my headphones)

the sound just recently developed...but then again I only recently started playing CS again...

temps after reboots are anywhere from 45 to 50c

I have an Audigy 2 sound card

my PSU is an Antec True Blue 400w and the problem goes away when I take the side of the case off and run a non computer fan into the side...tomorrow I'll try putting the side back on but unplugging the 120mm fan on the side.

as for how many fans I have...I have 1 120mm, 1 80mm on the processor heatsink, 1 60mm exhaust fan (one of the black enclosed ones that sucks air down into itself and blows it out exhaust ports in the back) and 1 small (like 30mm) fan on the video card...

basically I'm only running one more fan than I used to with a worse power supply (generic 300w) and that one extra fan is the 30mm

I've also noticed tonight that I do NOT get the odd squeeks with the side of the case off and a large fan blowing into it...so I really don't have a clue...I mean overheating shouldn't make my sound screw up would it?

I'd say you've got a balance issue with your fans and your audio card is over heating. What are your system temps?

The 120mm "in the side" - I assume the left side cover - as 'blowing in'.

Now the 60mm 'blowing out'- "one of the black enclosed ones that sucks air down into itself and blows it out exhaust ports in the back" - not 100% sure I have this correct in my head. Is it just a plain 60mm fan blowing out the back located under the PSU? Is it a PCI slot fan card?

The HSF and video card don't blow in or out so they are excluded.

You should have balanced or near balanced air flow through your case. The most critical is an 80mm or 120mm blowing out the back of the case located under the PSU to draw hot air away from the HSF/CPU area. Next most critical is one in the lower front blowing in and cooling the hard drive(s).

Post more detail what you have.

the exhaust fan is one of these:

35-150-006-04.JPG

and is located immediatly below the video card (it won't fit anywhere else) to assist in cooling it.

I have no other exhaust fan and do have the 120mm blowing in the side of the case (a friend of mine just cut a 120mm hole and we screwed the fan in)

I have no front fan either...nor a blowhole...I want to put both of those in but don't really have the resources right now.

you have too much going on in the area around your agp. Fresh air coming in the side panel, the fan on your card trying to push fresh air over your heatsink, and a fan below your agp card taking air from both the side fan and the agp fan making your solutions cancel each other out.

it would probably help even to just remove the pci fan and take a empty bezel out of the front to help even pressure. what kind of case do you have ? adding a few fans is cheap and easy.

Edited by All Kill3r

I have a totally generic case that I got as a bare bones system...

I don't have the tools (i.e. dremel) to cut out the hole for a front case fan...but I want to...plus I have less money in the bank than bills due so even $5 for a fan isn't affordable right now.

Yeah, you have all "in" and hardly any "out". As soon as you can swing it get at least an 80mm fan blowing out right under the PSU. You can probably take that 60mm fan card and see if it will withstand a hammer.

If you're a big spender ($10) then get two 80mm fans and also put one low and in front blowing in. The 120mm fan is questionable, as it really does nothing to cool your hard drive(s).

Does your case support two 80mm fans under the PSU? If it does then put 2 there, keep the 120mm, and add an 80mm in the front.

only one under the PSU

and I plan on putting something in the front...but you think for now putting the 1 80mm in the back will work fine?

it's working mostly fine with the side off...

anyway, I want to put a blowhole 80mm in the top and one 80mm in the back...but I is brokeded...I'll get around to it.