am i runnin too hot?

lazarus

slappy help me install a temp monitor and it says my processor is idling at around 115 F

and when i push it, it tops out at around 127 F

is this okay, little too hot, way too hot

if yes, any suggestions on a really nice hsf.

Thier idle/load in the article is 40/41. I've built a 2500 Barton that ran at 37/42.

Yeah, your's seem high. Is this a system you built yourself? What type of heatsink/fan on the CPU?

Describe your case fans - size (typical is 80mm), location, and if they are blowing into or out of the case. What brand and model case is it, if known?

What are your other specs - video card, hard drive(s), cd/dvd, etc.

idle at 46 C

max at 52-53 C

and i got the amd athlon 2500 (barton)

I think that's completely ok for temps.

Is it overclocked?

Even if it isn't the thing will run @ that temp without problems.

I wouldnt worry about it, although a person always likes to have his/her computer run as cool as possible.

I can tell ya what he's got here. He's got a cheftec case with to intakes (80mm) two outtakes(80mm) one on the side blowing in(80mm) and a blowhole blowing out(80mm)

Heatsink is nothing fancy. IMO all he needs is some artic silver (we used whatever came on it) and possible a little stronger fan.

Yeah, those temps are perfectly fine but, IMO, are pushing the envelope a bit. How many fans you have in your case? Are the intake/exhaust amount balanced? Did you use a proper amount of thermal paste on the HSF (a very thin but complete layer)? Are you using the default HSF or did you by a 3rd party one? If you went with a 3rd party one, you should make sure it is an all copper base.

ADDED:

Ah, I have seen a pretty dramatic temp difference between using generic thermal paste (Radio Shack brand) and Arctic Silver III (5-8 degree difference). Try some artic silver and see if that helps any.

I always scrap it off and use Arctic Silver III.

True

and use something like a credit card to scrap it off.

Dont try a razor blade or something though cause that will scratch the heatsink and cause lots more problems.

To make it easier to get off warm it up with a hair dryer first and it'll come off really easy.

Using thermal paste other than what amd recommends will void a warranty though.

But I dont think they really hold that many people to that particular requirement when dealing with a dead processor.

Laz, make sure to get ahold of Slappy. I have some Arctic Silver V you can use. That will definitely make a big difference. Slappy and I ran a test on the generic garbage vs. ASV and got some pretty tremendous results. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but it was something on the order of 15ish F cooler under normal conditions to 20-25is F cooler under stress (roughly 8 C and 11-14 C respectively). I think those were right, perhaps a little optimistic but not much. I think I have the results at home. Slappy, do you remember?

BTW, this was done testing the compound itself at dissipating heat, not under full production settings. In a computer with fans pushing air through the case effectively (what many people would consider normal) the marginal benefit is decreases as the average case temperature decreases (heat dissipation is a function of many things), but rest assured the Arctic Silver still kicks donkey.

(edited)

yeah wires and such around my hsf are nice and clean

i need to zip tie some wires at the top of my case, but thats it

slap made it look nice in there.

ill see if slap will do this tomorrow sometime after the g-day game (UGA football intrasquad game)

ill let ya know the results

Edited by lazarus

*Sigh* my poor internet...I plan on ordering it over the honeymoon, so it should be in my hands and set up the day I return (whenever that is, near the end of May). However, I have finals (No matter what your level of education, there's ALWAYS finals) and projects all due in the first week of May, so if I get antsy...May 6?

The cheapskate in me says, "Post at work and get paid, don't pay for internet this month," but the kid in me says "Fuggedaboudit, get the internet. And a few new multiplayer games. Charge it. And forget about the final projects. You don't really want to pass these classes, anyway."

Choices, choices...