wireless ?

Ok when I get my labtop for next year it comes with wireless built in. I know I could probly get a wireless router and change the mac address to get my desktop on the network and my labtop. But if I were to go with just my desktop to be connected what would I need to get to make a WAP from my desktop. I have 2 ethernet connections on my desktop.

a WAP? and i really dont even know what your trying to do, hook a desktop up to a wireless router? and I thought every ethernet card came with a uniquie MAC address so how are you going to change that?

I heard that you can spoof the mac address of the router.

Wireless Access Point, how could I do it so I just have my desktop computer connected to the network and make a wireless connection off my desktop to my labtop.

so like this

internet> desktop >wireless> labtop

or

internet> router> desktop/labtop

It depends if 2 wireless cards can talk w/o having a wireless access point. I know wired can using a x-over cable. If wireless cannot connect between wireless cards, then I doubt you could do what you wanted to. Not that it matters, a wireless card costs just as much as a wireless router these days so I dont see the point.

If I'm reading this correctly you should get a wireless gateway router with at least 4 hardwire ports. You can disable the wireless for now and use it as a regular gateway router. Your MAC address is like a credit card, unique and unchangable.

Yes, most home-use routers allow you to change the MAC Address (I believe it is for the ISPs that register your connection via MAC so that you can hook up a router). Now, if you want to do Internet connection to router to desktop computer to Laptop (via wireless NIC), then one of your 2 desktop NICs better be a Wireless card. You would have to set up Internect Connection Sharing on your desktop and then set up an Ad-hoc (Peer-to-Peer) wireless connection on your desktop.

Easiest way is as Homer described. Just get yourself a router with a WAP built in.