UT III Engine

As good if not better than HL2

Makes you wonder what would have happened if CS had been introduced on the Unreal engine and not the Quake 2 based engine that half-life uses.

The HL engine was SOO much more fluid than the Unreal engines. Its the one thing i love about CS. Unreal (not so sure about the new one) just seemed so clunky in its movement.

The HL engine was SOO much more fluid than the Unreal engines. Its the one thing i love about CS. Unreal (not so sure about the new one) just seemed so clunky in its movement.

What do you mean by clunky?

What do you mean by clunky?

It has been a long time and hard to remember specifics. But for example, the time it takes to rise from a crouch or to get into a crouch. The responsiveness of a strafe while in forward motion. Jumping. etc.

Like I said, its been a long time. But I remember making these points when CS installed the jump slowdown. That really detracted from the game, IMO.

It has been a long time and hard to remember specifics. But for example, the time it takes to rise from a crouch or to get into a crouch. The responsiveness of a strafe while in forward motion. Jumping. etc.

Ah.

Never really experienced that in any game powered by the unreal engine, and I've played most of um that I know about.

here is a great interview that discusses the next unreal engine.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/95_1.php

BU: UT2004 required 5.5 gigs of hard drive space to install. This has got to be a strain a lot of people's systems. So you're talking 2048 x 2048 texture sets, what kind of system and memory is this next game going to take?

TS: Well, we are aiming at the kind of PC that we think will be mainstream in 2006. We will also be able to scale it down. Basically DirectX 9 cards will be minimum spec, so any DirectX 9 shipping today will be capable of running our game, but probably at reduced detail. If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail.

BU: You are talking about dropping detail levels, what about a 3.2 or something similar?

TS: That will kind of be a low end system for our game if you look what's going to happen two years out. The technology is very scalable and will run a factor of twenty more detail on the highest end PCs currently available. It will be like running Unreal Tournament 2004 on a 1 GHz PC. It runs okay, but not nearly as good as a 3.2.

So by 2006 a 3.2GHz processor will be low end.

Like running a 1GHz processor with Unreal 2k4 today.

You will also want to have a video card that sports 1Gig of ram.

B)

That's pretty sweet.

I can't wait.