Performing first format

TeK

TeK
(edited)

Well its been a solid 2 years since I have got this comp and had not one clean install. Recently I have been experiencing some terrible download speeds and overall slowness of my connection. I recently contacted support for my cable and it seems to be on my side since they tested my line and it shows to have optimum signal. I don't remember doing anything drastic recently but I guess things have started affecting it. Its about time I performed a format and fresh clean install of windows since I got this thing.

I have a legit copy of XP Pro sitting here. Now, when I tried to do this on a friends system it wouldn't let me format his hard drive then install windows. I tried going through dos and it wouldn't let me do it that way either. If anyone has a detailed way for me to format my primary hard drive then reinstall windows on a nice fresh clean install would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to whoever helps me. Going to want to be able to do this tommorrow morning and get it up and running by the afternoon.

Just as a general question, Is it possible for programs to kill your bandwith as much as I think? I don't have any p2p software running, just a firewall(zonealarm), Norton systemworks, AIM, and Mirc running constantly. I usually got about 600-700 Kb off of gotfrag's unlimited servers but now am only getting about 300-350 Kb.

Edited by TeK

its pretty cut and dry. Make sure your first boot device is your cd-rom, insert windows xp cd and reboot. Press any key when promted and follow the instruction :D Do a complete NFTS format.

2 years !!! its been 2 months for me and i feel like i need a format...

ill let someone else answer about apps killing bandwidth, i have no idea.

TeK

Ya ad aware and spybot have both been run.

Another thing they mentioned that would affect my download speed is the fact my modem could be going. I also talked with someone on this and he confirmed that a modem "going" can affect speed as well. I can get a free replacement so tommorrow I'm going to try that. THanks for the help!

TeK

It's amazing what a new modem did for me. I unfortunately still lag in CS but who cares. I've done rates and restarts of modems and etc. Nothing helped but I rly don't care.

I jumped from 350Kb downloads form gotfrag servers to 1.15Mb :o :o :o !!

It was a nice change =D

this is my dad's comp. He's had it for about 2 years now. We havn't reformated it yet. But my brother always keeps a close eye on his and this computer. Every week, check spyware/adware, update virus definitions. everyweek we defrag our comps. Just regular maintenance. It runs fine :)

• 4 weeks later...
TeK

Sorry for digging an old topic back up.

Probably have to format but before I do I have a question for the tech heads.

All of a sudden, recently its been taking 20 mins. Yes 20 mins. For me to restart my computer. I timed it.

Any idea what would be causing this problem? I tried a defrag of the drive in safe mode. No can do. Tried a virus scan and it was clean.

Any suggestions before I jump into this?

1. Run Ad-Aware?

2. Try disabling Network (go into control panel, then right click on your network and disable) and rebooting to see if it is network related. Then enable it.

3. Did you do any updates or install anything when this started happening?

TeK

This isn't gotfrag AK you nerd.

Homer, didn't install programs. Another person as suggested not having my ethernet cable plugged in when I reboot. I'll try that soon.

Ad-aware is fine.