Choke, fps, and video mode

I am don't understand the whole choke problem, but I was told my choke should be 0. However it was getting up in the 90's but my ping was under a 100. What is choke? Next question is that I was reading about the different video modes and it said that open gl was only for agi. Well I have an agp so I went to direct 3d and my choke went down under 10 and my fps went from 60 to 90 but when i exit to change servers my screen goes black. This is also on 800x600 and my understanding is most people play with 1024x800 now. Help me, I am choking. :o

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

I don't know what choke is... but it makes it extremely hard to playw hen you have substantial amounts of it. Increasing my rate brought my choke down, so maybe choke is like a back-up of information since you can't handle everything that's being sent to you? :unsure:

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests
Next question is that I was reading about the different video modes and it said that open gl was only for agi

agi? no, play in OPEN GL mode. Well atleast try it...

Normally... OpenGL > D3D

Choke has nothing to do with video. It is a problem with communication from the server.

See, this is an anolgy my friend told a while ago, Cmdrate, updaterate and rate is like straws and milk. If you have to small of a straw (low settings) you don't get enough milk, or enough data. If your straw is too big (high settings) you spill your milk out of the straw (choke), you must find the perfect straw for you)

cl_cmdrate (0,99)

cl_updaterate (0,99)

rate (1000,25000)

pushlatency (-100, 100) Lag comensation, for ALL DSL and cable user, put it to -100 in config.cfg.

--from Orbital's CS tweaking guide

Always use OpenGL if your video card supports it. You’ll have a much higher frame rate.

Yes it is fat guy with small coat. And lamb there is no way your choke was 90. If your choke is anything above 0 you would almost freeze up. If any of you have seen the lag spikes I get when I freeze for a few seconds my choke goes to about 4 or 5, then after the spike goes away the choke returns to 0.

Yes it is fat guy with small coat.  And lamb there is no way your choke was 90.  If your choke is anything above 0 you would almost freeze up.  If any of you have seen the lag spikes I get when I freeze for a few seconds my choke goes to about 4 or 5, then after the spike goes away the choke returns to 0.

I have to respectfully disagree. I've played with choke at 90 b4. Not fun at all. Although my understanding of choke was always a little different. I thought the Choke was you Computers "fualt" A.k.a. You are running to many other programs so it "stalls out" Guess I've learned my one thing for the day. Seems like a waste since I still have to go to school in about 7 hours.

On net_graph 3 my choke was running anywhere from 50 to 90 in crowded areas. I played with my rates somewhat but don't know enought about them to feel comfortable changing them much. I was on Cage last night and was running a choke of 3 to 4 most of the time. Once the server hit 12 people it was constantly at 13 to 15 and spiked at 21. Alot better than 50 to 90 but I want fatty's scenario. Here is my set up. I have a 1.56 ghz processor, 512 mb of ddram, and a geforce 4 mx440 with 64 mb of ddram.

Is there a problem there?

Lamb

I am sacrificing for the divine warrior.

I visited MFA website which is Missouri Fragging Association and it had a great site for this whole problem. www.mfa-lan.net/rates.asp One problem I had was my vsync was turned on. I turned it off and I jumped from 60 to 100 fps on open gl. I tweaked my cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate and end up kinda where orbital said to put it from his tweaking guide so I just copied some binds from bubblegum. My loss is at 0 and choke runs mostly at 0 and spikes at around 4 now. Huge improvement. Thanks for the help.

Lamb :ph34r: