Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII Vs. Subaru Wrx Sti

SmartPartz

Ok listen im a junoir in highschool and for my grad<next year my parents and grandparents are goin to buy me a car i have read alot about both car and the both prety even beside sti has 30 more horses but i dont no which to purchase so give me some info about the cars and which one is better for me

p.s. i am goin to soup it up and race it so tell me so parts too

Thx

SmartPartz/ Fightclub

They are very even. The STi is a little faster, but I have heard that the Evo is easier to drive fast, even for an expert. There was a big magazine article that compared the two, you should try to find it. The debate between these two cars has been made a million times online too, so there should be alot of info out there for you.

The only mod that I can say NOT to do is the $5 larger nozzle on the air tube for the Evo that is supposed to free up 5hp or whatever. That is a myth and has been disproven.

BTW, what kind of racing do you plan on doing? And why the Evo or STi?

Thought you were talking about a bike smart? As a Junior in highschool, both cars are very over powered, very impractical, and will kill you in insurance. Get something reliable, good gas mileage, cheap to maintain, and save the dreaming till you get done with school and you are in a position to take on some debt. If you have never had to make monthly payments on anything (things being handed to you) You will be in for a shock when you get your insurance bill handed over to you.

You say you are going to race it? Where? Why? I am not condoning racing. But I am not suggesting it either. I have seen many friends get themselves into deep holes over having some fun in their mustangs... Take it to the track- that is all I will say.

Souping your car up is one thing. Building it solely to race is another. You will find that when it comes down to reliability, each one of those aftermarket power adders (almost all, minus a few beneficial ones such as exhuast, intake, chip) will actually take away from the life of the vehicle and reliability.

Also from a racing standpoint, you would want to decide on what you want to do here. Straightline? Go for rear wheel drive only. Sure you will get more traction off the line with an all-wheel drive. But the unit that puts power to all wheels eats quite a bit of that flywheel HP. Another thing with the factory stated HP - its all a bunch of crapola. If you want fast in a straight away, go for a V8 (Camaro Z28 or SS, Trans Am WS6, Firebird Formula, Mustang GT or Cobra) And a manual unless you want to spend time looking for a new stall for your automatic.

You want to drift? Manual rear-wheel drive again. 240sx, rx-7 something in that field.

You want to do Rally's? Get that Evo or Sti. Then do some suspension tuning and massage the heck out of that engine.

Good luck to you.

June 2003 Car and Driver has the shootout. I have it...

J is spot on with his wrap up of what TYPE of car is good at what.

I have raced Evos and STi on the highway and feel a tad faster than the Evo and a tad slower than the STi. Either one would kill me off the line. But my car is sexier and nicer on the inside ;)

screw the evo and sti, if you want a killer car have your parents buy you a 1981 308 GTB turbo ferrari. but then thats my answer to everything ^_^. but really like others have said just geting out of highschool you really dont need a 30k+ proformance car, insurance will kill you for one, and two its easy to kill yourself in it. if you are going to race it join the SCCA and do some junior rallys or autocrosses or something. and if your really going to pick between the two i'd say the STi just becuase petter solburg rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Sign up at www.racingflix.com They have some top gear videos testing both. The downloads are slow unless you upgrade to the paid subscription, but I can tolerate the slow downloads.

Myself, I like the looks of the WRX better, but tests have shown that the lancer handles better and is faster through the corners.

I gotta suggest getting a different car as well.

I say if your folks are willing to pay that much for a car for you, then get something a bit more unique.

Kirin might have been joking...but imagine actually being able to say you own a Ferrarri?

If I owned a Ferrarri I would just laugh at anyone who told me their STi was faster...sure it might be...but dude, you own a Subaru...and I own a Ferrarri...

:P

Get a Toyota Celica.

Reasons:

1) Slick looking

2) Not as much as the others

3) Last forever (toyota)

4) Overall awsome car.

Hopefully A Celica will be my next car. ^_^

Just got to wait for my Toyota Camry, that has 223,000+ miles, to take a digger.

Gotta agree with Goot on the older M3. Good luck doing anything other than intake, exhaust, and some serious tuning. I am not sure price wise about power add ons such as super/turbo charger, but I know a supercharger kit for the new M5's costs something like $25,000 or more just to purchase.

As for a celica... I abused the living hell out of mine AFTER it had been driven by my step dad's ex-wife, and my step sister who a) doesnt do oil changes - and B) doesn't know how to drive a stick. The only thing it wouldn't pass is the crappy BS Missouri emissions test. So I got my truck. Hey, I am not gonna complain. However, I do miss my spunky little 5-speed 4 cylinder....

Hey wait... I now have a six-speed 4 cylinder with 36 hp!! :D

• 1 year later...

I want a Evo VIII too but I am getting some help in buying it for my college graduation. I don't agree with the racing aspect unless you are on the track. Also you need to make sure you have practiced shifting on a smaller car because you will tear up the gear box on a faster more sportier car really fast if you start messing up. Yeah Performance upgrades, unless you get the right combination you well not do to much good for your car. Don't listen to the shop guys either. Do research. If you put in the wrong set-up like others have said you will actually lose life.

I suggest fro you getting a more mid-range car like a celica, later rx-7, or even the new eclipse which is running about 260hp and no one has it yet. It is also pretty slick looking, atleast I think so. But do what you want we are not probably going to make that big of an influence on you. But please keep if safe if you do race on the road because there are other people out there and they are not looking to get smashed into by some street racer with a 30k+ car.