AA and AF

jane

yes, you 9600XT can use both AA and AF just fine, though in newer games such as Farcry and BF:Vietnam, it won't be able to run as well as a better card. I would put on about 4x and 2x, maybe a little higher. experiment, it's in your ATI control panel.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

AF (Antiscoptic Filtering) gets rid of the fuzzy textures on surfaces such as walls.

AA (Anti-Aliasing) gets rid of the jaggies along edges.

This is what the game looks like with AF off:

af_no.jpg

This is the game with AF on

af_yes.jpg

Here is what the game looks like with AA off.

As you can see, the jaggies along the edges. It looks worse on other maps

and in other games. You can see it along the gun too.

aa_no.jpg

Here with AA on you can see there are no jaggies. Nice eh?

aa_yes.jpg

:)

Good work zero damage.

It should also be noted that AA and AF settings can make a big difference in the overall look in realtime gameplay that screenshots can't always portray.

Also a trained gamer can really be taken out of a gameplay experience if he/she suddenly notices some ugly rendering on screen; sometimes caused by lack of use of AA and AF.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Now that I've used AA and AF, i can't play without it (Except on games like Diablo II and WarCraft3). It drives me nuts how bad CS looks, let alone not having AF and AA also. The 9700 pro was the first card where both could be used at high settings without issue and ever since, it is a selling point. If you have a 9500 pro and above card and are not using AA and AF in CS, "Get in the game."

heh, I have a 9700 Pro and I have never used AA or AF at all...I could care less if my game looks pretty, I want good gameplay.

ZD, you should see how redeyez plays CS...the man plays it looking like Quake 1

:)

If you have a 9500 pro and above card and are not using AA and AF in CS, "Get in the game."

^_^

Exactly.

Ok, um, is this a setting in my card setting or in game?

I need to know how this applies to both CS and Doom3 please.

<3

AAn00b

ok found the settings in my advanced settings....both are set to "application preference." Does this more or less mean it's not on?

Should I override this and insert some multiple?

So you change depending on what game you're going into or is there a way to make it memorize? That would be application preference I'd think, then followed by the right settings in each game?

Well, question: Does Doom3 use Open GL? Cause I got a page for both Open and Direct.

How do I know Doom3 is even using good drivers? I don't remember setting up Open GL or anything in there?

yes OGL, not D3D. it sets up automatically, not manual.

If your not using Catalyst 4.6 or newer drivers i recommend updating.

I never thought about having to change the settings around between games, i just use the same for both ogl games... there might be a way to set a hotkey for it ? someone else may know more aobut that question..

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Downloading 4.7 now.

Whoa, my current driver is from 8/12/03! :o

That should help your Doom3 gaming out as well with the update. Basically you will want AA and AF on for CS. For you, I would say go with 4xAA and 8xAF. You will notice the difference immediately and never want to go back.

For Doom3, turn them both back off by putting them to application preference. What that means is that they are off unless the game or program has a control option to turn it on. What you do not know is that Doom3 has AF turned on by default. AA is of course turned off due to the game being a beast.