• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guests

Why don't you warn yourself for calling him an idiot.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

I'm sorry, I thought that the "e-sports leader" would be pre-pared for the "biggest e-sports tournament". What a crazy thought, I assure you it will never cross my mind again :boo:

TeK
(edited)

It was an incredible tournament and I'm back home now from Dallas. I had such a fun time meeting the top staff of the site and meeting/hanging out with all these top gamers you read about on gotfrag and other various e-sports sites Like 3D, u5, zEx, TEC, NoA, SK, Titans, TSG, and more. Exhibition booths were really incredible with NVIDIA having many computers showcasing their 6800 GT grahpics cards(Rumors around the CPL that a kid walked up to an NVIDIA rep with an x800 and recieved TWO 6800GT's in exchange for it, INSANE deal) It really was an incredible time and the memories will stay with him. TSG and Titans stayed in the same hotel as us about 10 minutes from the venue so there was a bit of randomness there.

All pictures that were taken are up on gotfrag from my camera and Jason's camera. The MFAVP pictures are VERY high quality and there were some incredible shots taken by them. Awsome job by them helping us out by getting very colid video content from the 5 days.

Yeah Fatty, about 4 or 5 top teams get paid salaries to play CS. Their sponsors provide them with hardware, airfare, and money for every event they attend. Notable teams recieving salary's are(Don't quote me on this) NoA, 3D, and SK. I'm sure their may be a couple more but I'm not sure.

The finals match between SK and EYE(Albeit it a extreme blowout by EYE) was incredible. They both played on the stage with almost every single person in the BYOC watching them from the front and back. Intel provided 2 HUGE projection screens hanging and everyone's eyes was glued to those screens. Controversey occured when the first half started and EYE won the pistol and second round, a cameraman stepped on the switch and unplugged the network, they had to restart the match and EYE lost pistol on the restart but still wound up winning the match in a very convincing fashion.

The CPL World Tour kicks off next year with stops in 10 different countries with the rumored 1v1 game being DOOM 3. Huge things are coming next year from the CPL with more anouncements coming in the following months.

Thanks to www.gotfrag.com for allowing me to work for their site and having a very enjoyable time down there. Our coverage was very good and I'm proud of all the staff(Admins- Lee, Jason Coene, Trevor(Midway), and Pash(critikalfx[rdw] as well as the other staff Stu(Brooks), Bill(Viiraxe), Chris(bootman), and Booby(weenus)) that were there busting their butts to make sure the site stayed online and staying on top of the updates and articles released.

Great time and I hope some of you get the chance to get down their once to witness this event firsthand. Thanks for reading and .gc for letting me post up about it!

Edited by TeK

Whitey,Aug 1 2004, 09:45 PM] Why don't you warn yourself for calling him an idiot.
id·i·ot

1)A foolish or stupid person.

2)A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

The label was correct per definition #1.

Why would I warn myself for accurately describing him and/or his actions? Moreover, I didn't say he WAS an idiot, I simply told him not to BE an idiot.

By your inability (refusal) to understand, you blend together with the above term at this point in time.

Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guest [TFR]Whitey
Guests
i just warned you whitey for your comment...come on guys lets keep it nice and fun please

I guess your an idiot because you can't follow your own moderators rules... Does that make you the biggest idiot fatty? Your REFUSAL to understand?

Why would you not warn yourself? Because I was being sarcastic... Your not witty, your just a jerk... I would rather be an idiot then be like you any day bud ;)

Whitey,Aug 2 2004, 10:43 PM]
i just warned you whitey for your comment...come on guys lets keep it nice and fun please

I guess your an idiot because you can't follow your own moderators rules... Does that make you the biggest idiot fatty? Your REFUSAL to understand?

Why would you not warn yourself? Because I was being sarcastic... Your not witty, your just a jerk... I would rather be an idiot then be like you any day bud ;)

post privelages disabled for a bit

TeK

Haha thanks TaPe and Fatty.

It really was an incredible time as I said.

As far as galleries, Yes I know that there are no captions. Jason is working on the coding to be able to add captions for all pictures. It is really needed.

On top of all the galleries on the main page. These are also gallerys that are up from the event.

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/media/gallery/28/

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/media/gallery/27/

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/media/gallery/26/

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/media/gallery/25/

Thanks again Fatty for letting me post up about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. Ok, tek beat me to it. He did some great work and put up with my (VERY) acerbic sense of humor for 5 straight days. It was definatley great to meet him.

The final wrap up for the event is at: http://www.gotfrag.com/cplsummer2004/

Oh, and btw PDO. We were prepared to take 5x the normal traffic that we do, which was still 2x the traffic that we saw at previous CPLs. We saw more than 4x the traffic that we saw at previous CPL... which ended up being more than double the amount of traffic that we had projected. In other words, we're bigger than we thought. Technical Upgrades is the message you got when our coder has to fix stuff on the fly (and did an amazing job of it I might add).

To give it to you more in depth, we have 3 web servers that normally serve content. On a busy CAL-I night, those servers barely even burp. For CPL, we put up FOUR extra web servers, and still pegged every single one of them (SEVEN in total). Now... think that through for a moment, and remind yourself that GotFrag provided not just up-to-the minute coverage and reporting of scores, but also write-ups of the matches, reviews of trends and breaking news at the event, interviews in TEXT AND IN VIDEO, and two videos per day, not to mention some 1000+ pictures during our coverage of this event. Not to mention the week of pre-event coverage of bootcamps, previews and other news.

TeK and everyone else that works for GotFrag does this entirely on a volunteer basis. They deserve alot of recognition and should be proud of the work that they did. They were warned going into this event that it would be lots of hard work, but also lots of fun.

So, to reply directly to your statement:

I'm sorry, I thought that the "e-sports leader" would be pre-pared for the "biggest e-sports tournament".  What a crazy thought, I assure you it will never cross my mind again  :boo:

Unprepared? No.

Under-projected? Definately. But hey, that's growth for you :D

TeK

Lee = teh smart

For those of you un-aware here.

urK?!?=Lee Chen.

Lee is the current managing director over at Gotfrag and handles all the business aspects of it. Mostly behind the scenes work keeping Gotfrag the leader of e-sports news and advancing it.

I know Lee enjoys 6.2 megapixels though ;)