Unpatched computer comprimised in under 20 mins

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

CNet

This is scary stuff, but nothing new. I had to once remove a client PC from the firewall and they did not have any of the up to date patches and she had Blaster and some other related worm in less than 2 minutes. It's amazing what a firewall can do for you.

When I bring up a new computer, before I put it on the Internet I run an IPSEC policy to disallow any traffic except between the client and my work computer. Then I use a patching utility (Usually Languard Network Scanner) to install the latest patches and service packs. Then and only then do I remove/modify the ipsec policy for wider internet/network access.

If the machine I am working on is in my office, I just run it behind my routher/firewall.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

This is what you do. Download like free zonealarm or Kerio Personal Firewall.

I hosted the Kerio here which is what I use for a small free firewall.

ZD site

Burn it onto a cd and keep it with your winxp or 2000 or 98 or whatever setup disks you have. Make this the first thing you install.

Edited by zerodamage

Why install a firewall program when you don't have to, at least if you are running W2k, XP, or W2k3.

WinXP comes with ipseccmd, W2k3 comes with netsh, and you can download ipsecpol from http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techi.../ipsecpol-o.asp for W2k.

True the firewalls you mentioned are easier off the bat to use but if you are trying to run a clean system, then you don't want to have to install any extraneous software.

Again, for home users, one of the firewalls you mentioned is probably best but if you are familiar with any of the tools listed above, or aren't afraid of console based utilities, I would go with the ones I mentioned. Faster to use (if you are familar with it) and no need to install anything (just have the exe).

A sample ipsecpol file that blocks all traffic except for one IP looks like this:

ipsecpol -w REG -p "firewall" -y

ipsecpol -w REG -p "firewall" -o

ipsecpol -w REG -p "firewall" -r "blockall"                 -f *+0 -n BLOCK

ipsecpol -w REG -p "firewall" -r "another computer"  -f 192.168.1.10+0 -n PASS

ipsecpol -w REG -p "firewall" -x

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Kerio Personal Firewall is only like 2MB setup file and uses less than 1 MB when running. You do not even feel it running which is why I use it. It is much simpler.

Understood, but I use the above utilities cuz I am often setting up servers and I don't want to muck it up while installing by having to install the extraneous apps. I use the IPSEC tools anyway when the server is running so it's easier for me to just use them on install. I only suggested them because they are really simple to use/modify after you learn the switches and commands.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Understood, but I use the above utilities cuz I am often setting up servers and I don't want to muck it up while installing by having to install the extraneous apps. I use the IPSEC tools anyway when the server is running so it's easier for me to just use them on install. I only suggested them because they are really simple to use/modify after you learn the switches and commands.

I've really never messed with them. Have a guide or something that explains how to use them in laymen's terms? Maybe a guide for the forums? :D