DSL Routing question

Alright Illl be getting a new pc soon, so ill leave this one in the living room where it is and put the new one back in my room, only problem is its pretty far away and I have NO idea how to get internet access. I've heard wireless routers slow down speed considerably, and I dont really want to have wires going all over my house. Also putting a wire through the ceiling and such is pretty out of the question as my dad does all the wiring ane electricity stuff around here but hes out of the country atm. Any suggestions?

Verizon dsl btw.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I am using "G" wireless now across my door yard to my in-laws and get full speed there without a hitch. This is over 100 feet. Using D-link and it works great. (Except my particular router is having issues)

Wireless G is 54mb/sec. Even at a far distance you will out perform the speed of the DSL line.

I think the concept of wireless slowing down gaming is more with wireless to the house. Like you don't want to game on a satellite connection.

I game wirelessly on a G-network, and previously on a B-network, and have never had problems. My old roommate had nothing but problems gaming on the wireless network. Funny enough, we were on the same network. Hardware can play an important part, so make sure you do some research to figure out what's best first.

I believe my old roommate had all D-Link equipment, so I can say that the D-Link router rocks (I never had lag issues) and when his card worked, the desktop D-Link B stuff works well. The DA conversions used to make the wireless adaptation are so fast nowadays you might be adding 1, maybe 2 ms to a transmission. Interference could be an issue, especially if you add multiple wireless computers, FYI.

Internet speeds shouldn't be effected, however. A B-network sees a practiacl throughput of 2-3 MBps, after wireless and Ethernet overhead are subtracted, which is still matching or above the maximum broadband speed of 1.5 - 3 MBps, which doesn't measure actualized throughput.

Also, I am running G right now on a Linksys router and it is flawless. Even with Windows XP Wireless Zero.

thanks for the info, I have a wireless g router but am hooked to the 4-10/100 ports with a wire. I have been considering getting a wireless card to see what it was like but have heard a lot of bad stories about them and didn't want to blow money on something I would never end up using.

Preach, bottom line is that cabled connections are still faster in raw throughput, so if you're moving large files jack it in (especially if they're zipped). If you're just browsing the web, as long as you're in good range of the wireless router you'll never know the difference in things like e-mail, web browsing, etc...well, I don't, for what that's worth. The only real reasons to go wireless are for mobility or for the sake of not having wires draped everywhere (maybe I missed one?). For computers that don't move I'd prefer to run cables, but for anything that's moving around (laptops, wireless palmtops, etc.) or anyplace that's hard to get wires to (ugly, far, in the way, etc.) wireless is the way to go. Oh, and Preach, if you're not using it make sure your wireless is off to keep bandwidth poachers at bay.

Shertown, did we answer your question(s)? Keep in mind distance to your router when you figure out if you want to give it a try. Consider straight-line distance and not only how many walls the signal goes through but at what angle it goes through the wall

2. Be aware of the direct line between Access Points, Residential Gateways, and Computers - A wall that is 1.5 feet thick, at a 45 degree angle, appears to be almost 3 feet thick. At a 2-degree angle it looks over 42 feet thick! Try to make sure that the Access Point and Adapters are positioned so that the signal will travel straight through a wall or ceiling for better reception.

D-Link TechSupport

Also, for what it's worth, when I want to try something like this I usually buy the equipment I need from Best Buy (router, card) and try it out. If I'm not happy I bring it back to Best Buy with original boxes, repacked, just like new (didn't use it long so there's no excuse to have anything messed up) and return it. If it's within 30 days I've never had a problem getting my money back, and even with no receipt and the unit in less than perfect condition, I've never been turned away for store credit. Just read the return policy, because some things have restocking fees (computers, laptops, etc.) and some things have limits on their return policies (DVDs that are not shrink-wrapped need to be exchanged for an identical item only, no store credit, etc.).

*phew!*

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by appalachian_fox

That's true, if you have a straight run back you can usually hide it under baseboard, but in the end with the spool cost, connectors and a crimper you're probably not saving any money. At least when you're ready to run cable, though, you'll have the equipment and extra cable around, so that won't be an added cost later. If you have your heart set on a cabled connection later, that's a really good option.

bah, if you have a wireless B or wireless G, you wont notice any difference at all with anything to do with the internet. Only when moving large files around from LAN machines, you will notice. You have Version DSL. That is probably a 1.5Mbps connection. A wireless B is still about 10x faster than your connection, so unless you do alot of file transfers between your two machines, wireless B will be more than suffcient.

wow I totally forgot about this sorry guys Ive been busy, money isnt a real big deal so Ill probably go for a decent router, its about 100-150 feet and probablt a 45 degree angle ( I dont know Im taking a s!d) I wont do many transfers between machines.

My pc is 900mhz with 256 mb of ram, XP, and not the most impressive thing but it gets the job done. Now how much should I be looking into spending, I have been looking around the web and checked a few places ( not wal-mart as they use poor parts) but I'm really quite clueless to this. Also a while back the guy from verizon had to come and set the dsl to come directly through the line connected to the computer, Im not sure whether or not that will affect my routing situation. Thanks for the information fellas.

Yeah, if you're not gonna be transferring large files and you just want it to work there's no advantage to cabled over wireless. WEP and such may take a little getting used to setting up, but from a plug-and-play perspective it should be fine. It's really a matter of preference.

As far as where you shop, Wal-Mart does not build routers to my knowledge. The only routers I've seen there are built by others (such as Linksys and I believe I saw some D-Link there before). Whoever told you they use inferior parts was talking about something else, because they don't build routers. However, I've seen a lot of mail-in rebates at the office supply stores (Office Max, Office Depot come to mind) where you can get D-Link Wireless routers in the $40 range and cards as low as $10 apiece after rebate. Everyone I know who bought on rebate always got their money and I've had great experiences with all of my Office Max rebates. That's a good reason not to shop at Wal-Mart. If you get the Sunday paper, check the circulars.

100-150 feet at a 45 angle could be an issue, that's a pretty long run, but you can always try it and return it if it doesn't work. If you're looking for good results I would recommend sticking with the big names (Linksys, D-Link) but PC Mag recently published a whole section on wireless benchmarks, testing something like a dozen routers, and some of the less-known ones worked amazingly well, so if you can dig up that article it could be helpful.

I'm not sure exactly what the Verizon guy did from your description, but you should be able to plug the ethernet cable from the DSL modem into the wireless router without issue, then run ethernet from the router to your computer. This may take an extra ethernet cable, however, because I'm not sure if the routers all come with one. You'll also want to put the router somewhere where there's minimal obstruction (on top of the desk?) for best signal strength. Keep that in mind. Best of luck!