SUSE

NOFX

Ok, So I wanted to jumped back into the linux world. Im going to be doing alot on linux this school year so I went ahead and installed on my system.

I downloaded SUSE, formally redhat I think. Its awesome. Its so much easier to setup than any other version of linux I have tried. I booted off the CD and it autodetects everything. It even repartitioned my NTFS system(what windows runs on) and I didnt have to wipe out my old system at all. It goes ahead and sets up dual booting for you with no headache.

so if you want to put linux on your system and windows also, I suggest you try this. Its even easier to install the Windows XP.

yep, I've got SUSE 9.1 Professional and I loved it for the week or so I used it. The ONLY reason I'm back on WinXP now is that there are no ATI drivers for anything newer than a Radeon 9200 that work fully with Linux. My 9800 Pro was seen as a 16MB card with no 3D Acceleration. If ATI will step up and release a good driver for their cards, I'm going back to SUSE for good!

Besides installing nicer then Windows, KDE looks a whole lot better than Windows too. And check out the games that came with it!

yep, I've got SUSE 9.1 Professional and I loved it for the week or so I used it. The ONLY reason I'm back on WinXP now is that there are no ATI drivers for anything newer than a Radeon 9200 that work fully with Linux. My 9800 Pro was seen as a 16MB card with no 3D Acceleration. If ATI will step up and release a good driver for their cards, I'm going back to SUSE for good!

Besides installing nicer then Windows, KDE looks a whole lot better than Windows too. And check out the games that came with it!

I have a 9500 pro. I flashed the bios so it is recognized as a 9700 pro. Suse 9.1 recognizes it the same as XP a 9700 pro.

For the record, SUSE is not formerly Red Hat. SUSE is a german linux distro that has been around as long as if not longer than Red Hat. The new desktop version of Red Hat is called Fedora.

From what I remember of SUSE, it is a really nice distro with a bunch of feature-rich third party apps. Good luck with it NOFX. I'm sticking with Fedora for the time being as that is the distro I am most familiar with (although that isn't saying much).

Hehe, all "distros" are free (for the core components anyway). As for which is easier to use? That is a matter of preference. The only one I am really familiar with is RedHat/Fedora but I probably wouldn't say it is the easiest for new users.

I have heard that Mandrake is fairly user friendly but when I went to their site I didn't see a "download" area for it (although I have downloaded it before).

yeah, there are beta drivers for some cards better than a 9200, but not all cards, and not all drivers work with all brands of a specific model. the 9800 Pro doesn't really have any drivers though.

http://blahserver.greatnow.com/atihowto.html

That's showing it working. Although I can't get the ATI drivers to load myself. Having a real bear of a time figuring out the kernel source and compiling a kernel cause I'm a noob at this. But 9800 pros do work. That's what I have and it's loading and showing like the pic in that link, except with a "MESA driver". At this juncture I'm blaming a HL2 virus.

Posting in Linux :peace:

Using the 'live CD' option just now. If I were to properly install this on my system it sounds like I would have to make a partition based in FAT32? Is that even doable or would I have to re-install Windows to do that?

Have to say this looks impressive. I mean for running an OS from the CD its amazing. Might just have to use Windows for the 'games' if I can get this configured right.