Looking for a new truck

Magruter

Mag, if you are set on a brand new vehicle, try a Chevy or Dodge dealer and see what rebates/incentives they are offering. Seems like you are on the right track with those Dodge shorties you have been peepin'. Sit in both, drive both before you make your decision. I've been looking at the Dakotas, I dont know much about them! However, they dont seem that much cheaper than a full sized Ram?

Well i kinda had my heart broken..... What started this off was, i was working on a couples budget with the wife to be. (I know I know just hear me out) and what i didn't realize is that i'm paying 350 a month for my car, i've been auto pay through my bank for the past year and never paid attention to it. I'd like to get my payment down to 280 a month.... Doesn't look like i can with a new car... I don't know, the online sales person said i'd have to buy a truck in the 10,000 dollar range. Which just doesn't sound right.

Well i kinda had my heart broken.....  What started this off was, i was working on a couples budget with the wife to be. (I know I know just hear me out) and what i didn't realize is that i'm paying 350 a month for my car, i've been auto pay through my bank for the past year and never paid attention to it.  I'd like to get my payment down to 280 a month....  Doesn't look like i can with a new car...  I don't know, the online sales person said i'd have to buy a truck in the 10,000 dollar range.  Which just doesn't sound right.

that ISNT right! DONT LISTEN TO THOSE JERKS!!!! How long have you been making the auto payment on your VW? That is GOOD for your credit! :) Is it solely on your credit??

Do you have a decent beacon score? (i.e. have you been late on payments to lenders very often?)

with halfway decent credit, you should expect a dealership to finance you on a NEW car especially for about $20 per thousand. So the $280/mo figure should put you at about $14000. Now this needs to be inclusive of taxes (what is the rate in WI please?) and fees (should only be $150 or so including registration and inspectin).

The way I see it Mag, after your next car payment, you should be about even on your car to KBB trade-in right? So, you will need a truck for about $14000.

I dont know if you can get a new one for that price :unsure: Dodge's website is pricing them out at $22,730 for a 2WD v6 ST, which is ridiculous of course. I think there are about $5k in rebates right now.

At least, you should be able to find similar financing (I did) on a 2003 model with low miles (mine had 12K).

Go test one out and just see if you like it. Then, my advice (depending on how long you have until you need to sell) is to go to autotrader.com and input your zip. Select Dodge and goto ADVANCED search. Pick a 1500 2003-2005 with MAX price of 15,500 or 16000. Set the miles for under 15K (make it a little higher to find even cheaper trucks!) I LIKE buying slightly used, let the other guy pay the depreciation!

I see a handful of trucks for less than $15000. Take your car down, INSIST on trade in value for your car and tell them you will give them $14000 for the truck.

Check KBB value on the truck and your car before you go in. You can assume that they paid trade in for the truck.

Here is just one example of what I have found:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...lor=&cardist=91

Looks like mine! ^

I really think that if you found a 2003 with 20K miles, it would be WELL within where you want to be? You would still have 16K mi of warranty left.

How long do you plan on driving this vehicle? How much do you plan on driving it?

Edited by gOOters

also, many lenders will get you financing on a brand new vehicle for 72 months. I hate long term loans, but if cash flow is important to you right now, you could always pay the loan off faster later on.

with good credit, you might be able to get about 7% on a 72mo loan? just guessing here. also guessing, I think about $17,500 would be the bottom dollar cost out of your pocket if you went in on a new truck.

That comes out to about $298/mo. I might be off some on my numbers, but they should be fairly close...food for thought.

Wow a manual tranny i like that.... saves a little on gas milage and gives little more power. welp, well see i just contacted the dealership... They will let me know. I don't think the dealership will give me money for my car. But i can alway try. :)

Wow a manual tranny i like that....  saves a little on gas milage and gives little more power.  welp, well see i just contacted the dealership...  They will let me know.  I don't think the dealership will give me money for my car.  But i can alway try.  :)

the dealership will almost always give you something. if they are a huge dealership with a bid used car lot (or maybe have a sister dealership with a used car lot?) they will be able to sell it for over trade-in.

If they dont, they might offer you a tad less than trade-in and then sell it at auction.

Be a hard donkey, tell them you want trade and you will give them $14.2K for the truck IF they can find you some good financing.

Also, if you really think you are going to do this...call your bank and have them pre-approve you for the truck loan. That way you can have an idea of the rates you might get and you can be ready to buy on the spot.

Bear in mind, when you ask the bank or a dealer or anyone to run your credit and finance you...it puts a little 3 or 4 point hit on your beacon score. The trick is to shop all your financing within 30 days, that way #1 the other creditors dont see any of the hits #2 when you are done financing and in the future, creditors will look at the hits as you shopping for one loan only, not a bunch of shopping around.

GL! Be strong!

Goot has some great advise there.

One thing I have learned about dealing with car dealers. Stay firm on the price you want to pay. Do not let them negotiate with a 'monthly payment', it works to their advantage. Don't mention a trade till a price on the vehicle is set. And check on interest rates before you negotiate.

from a Dodge forum

>>Don't know how good the deals are in Ft Worth but you can get a heck of a deal in Dallas and even better in Richardson. You can get at least $8,000 off in rebates and incentives and then go from there.

>>They sell semi-stripped Hemis here for under $15k, seems like a V6 for a grand less shouldnt be a problem no matter where your at...

Wow nice... I forgot about the trade in bean... I've been like, yeah i have a trade in. But now that i think about it. That's my little ace in the hole. Welp i drove a dakota yesterday, i thought they would have been a little nicer, something with a 21,000 sticker price. Drive was real nice, but not power anything, i think it had A/C, but i was 4X4 which i did like. They guy is giving me a call back today with a price on it, so i'll probably refuse that and move on, the manager was bit a chode.

i dont care for dakotas at all... a couple of friends have had them and they are just overpriced for what you get. in some cases a fullsize ram is just as cheap and will overall have better resale. fullsize also looks alot better :D

well i have an cousin that's a manager of a GMC and ford dealership in Nebraska so i have him looking into what he can do for me. I know he'll give me the rock bottom price. I should hear from him tomorrow. :) And yes if need be i will get a ford, it will last for a until the warrenty goes out. :)

The new Ford's do look nice :)

Edit: The Ford Reg cab rear access door is REALLy cool. It looks like a standard feature too! Extra room in a Reg Cab is SOOOO nice to have. The Dodge also has a ridiculous amount of room available in the cab.

Edited by gOOters