Looking for a new truck

Magruter

I have a 2001 VW GTI, Trade in vaule ~14,000, private vaule 15,500. I want to get a truck i'm think about a toyota Tundra, good reliable truck. But man are those cars expensive. I owe, just alittle over 14,000 still on the car. so inorder to make it worth my while i'd have to sell it privately. How much does it cost to put an add in auto trader? Does anyone have another good realiable truck in mind? I want it to be a full size, so i can throw a john boat in the back. Also 4 wheeled drive, with a motor no smaller than a V6. Any thoughts?

autotrader is about $35-40 for a "run till it sells" ad with one picture.

I wonder if i could just give you my login/pw to my 350Z ad and let you edit it?

I think it is still up there? :D

Regarding your truck (I feel ya, its nice to have all the utility of a truck):

Toyotas are VERY nice, but I think they rely a little too much on their reputation for setting their price points. They are too expensive!

Would a Tacoma be too small?

I know that Dodge is slashing the price on their new 2004 models right now, I'll bet Chevy and Ford (dont buy a Ford) are doing the same.

My buddy just got a brand new 4Door Ram with the 20" rims and power everything for $22K.

Also, look at the Nissan Titan, I consider that to be the greatest fullsize truck on the market, I dont know much about the pricing on them though. They are made in Japan (read: reliable) and POWERFUL (in v8 config) and very smooth trucks.

When considering how to unload your VW:

1) Im not just all impressed with autotrader anymore. I would do it, but also put a sign in the window, take out a local newpaper ad, etc.

2) In Texas, when you trade your car in...you only pay sales tax on the difference in price between your trade in value and the selling price of the new vehicle.

3) If time is of the essence, price your VW at www.KBB.com fair market value and hold out for it for awhile.

Good luck Maggles, let us know what happens! If you want any tips on dealing with a car salesman or buying a new car, let me know! I HATE dealing with dealerships, they are such liars!

Well I want to make it a close to fair trade, so no more than 16,000 Taxes are going to screw me.. I'm still wondering if this is a wise move to make... Sould be myself losing money on this deal. If you have time, either look in zip 53072, or milwaukee area, sales tax is cheaper up there.

Just another thing, My car only has 27,000 miles, i had some crap rotors on so i had to get those changed out at 18,000 miles now my back breaks are squealing, makes my car sounds horrible. So i have to get rear brakes put on.... Is this right?? Should i need new brakes at 27,000 miles?? I don't brake hard, i've never had to lock em up... How much does a normal brake job cost? They are disc brakes.

sounds a little early to really NEED new rear brakes. I dunno? Maybe its time.

I am a big fan of buying slightly used. You get the depreciated sale price, plus you can get new car financing still from most lenders.

Look at this truck

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...lor=&cardist=49

I dunno if 4x4 is overkill for you or not? I also found a brand new Dodge at Van Horn for $22K.

The Titans are EXPENSIVE mang.

Keep this inmind, if you buy your truck in WI, but you live in IL, will you have to pay sales tax on it when you register it in IL? Thats what happens for us in TX!

Also, factor in your tax savings for your trade in. I doubt you will get more than your payoff for your car, but run the numbers like that.

Good luck.

Here are a couple of Tundras

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results...pe=used&x=0&y=0

If you can get financing pre-approved, you should be able to get a better deal from a private seller.

It is tough timing your car's sale and buying the used truck you want though.

New car loans right now should be in the 3.9% - 5.5% range depending on your credit.

Yeah i'm hopefully moving up to wisconsin that's why i'm i want to buy a truck up there, i want to get 4X4 when the time comes, i'm going to pick up a boat, and it's easier to pull it out of the water with 4X4 Yeah looks like i might have to buy a dodge, i saw some new base model dodges for ~18,000

Hmm, I guess I would recommend Toyota or Nissan over Dodge lol. eX...dont hate me! ;)

I love my Dodge though. I bought it because it looks great, is SUPER comfy and very very quick. I had a good experience with my old Dodge. I drove it for about 10 years before I niticed the tranny starting to slip. My new Dodge is 10 years newer than the old one, so I would expect it to last even longer.

Chevy I like as well...alot. I would highly recommend a Chevy.

Ford I would never recommend. Again...personal experiences.

If you like the Dakota Mag, try looking at the Chevy Colorado. I like the Colorado's looks more, but I dont know if it is available with a v8.

I know nothing of the Dakota, but I DO know that you can get a v8 in it! Might be something to look at without dropping a ton of cash on a new truck.

I am finding very slightly used Dakota 4x4s and Colorado 4x4s in that area from $19.5K down to $18 or less. I've also seen some Ram 4x4 Reg cabs in that price range.

On that truck...I dunno? I would think that the v6 would feel pretty okay on a little shorty like that :) Maybe you could drop by a Dodge dealer local to you and test drive one that is similar?

Also, does it have PW/PL/etc? You might miss that stuff going from your VW if the new truck doesnt have it. That white one actually looked lie it had all that jazz.

I only know Texas tax laws!!!! Yes, if you got the same for your trade as the selling price on the truck...your taxes would be zilch in TX. I dont think you can expect quite that deal on that truck though. But, meh...I could be wrong about that!

my dad has an 03 ram shortbed like that and while its not gonna tow a ton its actually got a decent amount of power for a v6. it would probly tow a smaller boat and everyday hauling. not a bad choice at all.

if we haul or tow stuff we break out the V10 dually. =)

Let's say, i do a trade in....  will the dealership do an even trade?  how does that work?  Do i have to pay taxes on the new purchase?

in missouri you would pay the taxes on the diff between the two say you traded it in for 15 and the truck was 16.5.. you would pay sales tax on the 1500 dollars. i think ... hehe. =/

Mag, Go test drive a chevy, ford, dodge, toyota, nissan, something someone says is a honda truck ( :blink: ) then decide what you want. I personally like my Ford Ranger, and I really like the new 04 F-150's. But I have grown up on Ford. I have had very good experiences with them, whether it be the vehicles or the dealership that we always buy from. I know a lot of people who will only buy Chevy vehicles. Then there are the Dodge people. Everyone has their manufacturer that they swear on. Go for what has served you well, or that has proven reliable. Check out Car and Driver's website for extended test drive results.

Here are some links to C&D's reviews. Around the bottom there is a box with user's submitted ratings of the truck.

Dodge Ram

Ford F-150

Chevy Silverado

Nissan Titan

Dodge Dakota

They did not have the Tundra listed on that part of the website, but I am sure they have a review for it somwhere. The Nissan and the Toyota Probably have the highest dependability ratings, but Ford actually topped the chevy and the dodge above.

Do some major research. The Titan is a brand new design for Nissan, so I am sure there are some ticks they need to work out. Do research on the engine and drive train, especially if you plan on using the vehicle for towing. A V6 in a full size truck is most likely not going to move too well due to the overall curb weight of the truck plus the tow load. Look at torque numbers, then look at horsepower. Horsepower will help you build speed, but the torque is the force that is driving the truck and towing that boat.

Hope this helps you out a bit. If you need anymore info, I will do my best to help you find it. Good luck!

Well, let me see... So far i've had a buick, 2chevys, a ford, 2VW's, a toyota. And the one i like the best was the toyota.. But i'm leaning a bit more toward a ram or dakota. I've driven both the silverado and 150 b/c we rent trucks here at work, i did like the silverado a bit better, but they are alittle out of price range. I'm going contact a some dealers in the area to see what deals they have going on.