EQ2

Crowbar

At first I didn't think I would probably spend the money on WoW, much less on EQ2. However, after playing the Knight Online beta, I'm kind of hooked on these MMORPGs. So I'm debating about whether I should buy Warcraft or Everquest.

Both have a huge, well developed backstory due to their predecessors. Both have been hyped to an insane level, and will both be filled with thousands of players.

Then there's the graphics. From what I've seen of screenshots and movies, both are graphically excellent. Warcraft favours the earth tones, with lots of browns and dark reds. And it seems that EQ2 has more the fairy tale fantasy look, with rich bright greens and blues. Graphically, I'm definatly thinking EQ2 looks much better than WoW. Just take a look at these screenshots.

053.jpg

001.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

036.jpg

That's pretty tempting, if you ask me.

The main difference I see between WoW and EQ2 is the history and the future. WoW is based around strategy games (starcraft warcraft). I think it's going to be a lot like Shadowbane. (PVP). They made the two races so that they cannot be guilded or fight together. And that whenever you see someone of the different race you are allowed to attack them. ( horde vs alliance ) Thats all good for the pvp'rs and I might buy it just to build a character and go around slaying innocent alliance members. But 6 months to a year from the release of the game.... what then?? You cant do much with just alliance members. It's kind of like SWG, what do you do? I think it will be a big release but after 6 to 12 months it will lose 50% of its people from bordom.

EverQuest 2 on the other hand has had experience. EverQuest has been running strong for over 5 years. They know what they need to do to keep people interested in the game and know how to do it. And with an "idea" like EverQuest 2 where everything is fantasy and there are no rules like in SWG and WoW ( following storybook rules) they can do anything. This game will be around for 3 to 4 years until someone else can make another big game to take it out.

I am going to buy both maybe.. depends on when WoW is released compared to EQ2. If they are both in same month I'll just skip WoW for now.

They are both scheduled for Nov 15th release. I haven't heard too much about EQII though. The hype is all for WoW at the moment and everyone I know that has beta'd it said it was great. Tons of stuff to do in it.

EQ is no middle ground usually. Either you like it or hate it.

On another note, we’ve almost nailed down the final number of CD’s (or DVD’s) for the retail box. It’s looking like EQ II is going to ship on between 9 and 10 CD’s or 2 DVD’s.

... thats a lot of content.

Wow - those are some sweet graphics.

I played the Beta for WoW for a few months and loved it. I think it will be around for awhile. The beta completely blew EQ out of the water for me and I would easily pick WoW over EQ. But EQII looks quite interesting and much easier to customize your character then EQ was when I left. I will be looking forward to playing them both to see which I like best.

Linch is right though - Sony has some VERY crappy service.

they are two different games.

Kenger is partially right, but in alot of places hes wrong.

There will be multiple servers for WoW

The two main ones for now(they are thinking of other ones to add later) will be

PvP-Horde versus Alliance THis is where the 3 alliance races, and the 3 horde races play against each other. However, its not what you think. Its not just lots of people running around slaughetering each other. There will be zones

Contested Zones- Horde and ALliance can both attack each other

Horde Zones- Alliance players in these zones can only attack horde players that have ATTACKED them first. So you could be standing next to someone and they cant do anything to you

Alliance zones- Vice versa

and a non pvp server. This will be happy land! You can fight with each other, meet the other races and go on quests. Basically like previous MMORPGs

So they give you the variety you want. EQ just isnt cutting it for me, so far it looks like EQI with better graphics....and we know how well that worked with UT and UT2k3....thats right...UT2k3 was the same game as UT, with better graphics, and a lightning gun instead of a sniper rifle!

WoW 4ever

I think that is part of the reason that WoW has so much hype because it is something fresh and new.

EQII rather is just a better looking EQ. Just a few more bells and whistles but basically the same game at the ground level.

It's worked for EQ for a while but I know a ton of EQers that are looking for something other than EQ to play in the future.

I don't know. I'm thinking it's more like this: WoW will be the culmination of all MMORPGs to date. But, EQII looks to be (and the devs are trying to make it) the first of a new generation of MMORPGs. I just watched all the released WoW movies, and then watched the EQII movies, and there just doesn't seem to be any comparison. EQII blows WoW away in the graphics department. Beyond that, EQII will have voice for EVERY npc in the game. Even some of the monsters will taunt you while you're fighting them. There are just four professions, fighter, mage, priest and scout. However, your profession is determined by how you play the game. You may be a priest, but at higher levels, depending on how you've played the game, you may become a Templar, or pehaps a Fury.

Like WoW there are "instances" of certain areas, where your party can have the entire area to yourselves.

If you watch the movies (and I HIGHLY recommend watching the movies) you will see the excellent looking combat. The characters get flung off their feet when hit, no more of the usual "head jerk."

And did I mention that EVERY npc TALKS?

I highly recommend watching at least this movie. It's in Quicktime format, and downloads quickly. It follows a group from creation through a few fights and quests and gives you a lot of awsome in-game footage. Definatly has me sold on EQII.

Edited by Crowbar

EQII has less hype since it's for carebears. They have no plans currently for player vs. player combat. Most people I know tend to sway towards pvp thus the popularity of WoW.

I'm sure EQII will be good in it's own right it just depends on what type gaming experience you are looking for. If you want those type graphics you better have a top of the line computer to push them though otherwise you aren't going to be looking at anything near that good.

Positive.

Here is the response from the FAQ at the EQ2 website.

Will there be player-versus-player (PvP) combat?

Just as the original EverQuest was geared towards PvE (player vs. environment), EverQuest II has a similar focus. There are currently no plans for player vs. player combat in EverQuest II.

That is probably the smart way to start it off. They only have a very small portion of current PvP servers for EQ, I believe it is 3 out of all of them. They can start it off as PvE and then, if there seems to be enough demand, test a PvP server and go from there.

After installing the pre-order software I did notice it lags my PC on the character creation screens already and I easily beat all of their specs for recommended computer.

EverQuest knows from experience the hardest thing about a MMorpg is the pvp aspect. They are planning to release around the same time as WoW. To develop a pvp system that wont need to be updated everyday for a few months is going to be hard to do in a months time. I believe like soul said after awhile they will make one on demand, but it is going to be tested over and over so that they dont look foolish like many other games have such as SWG.