need help

Mooney .gc

i have a gift card to bestbuy, and i want to buy a vid card so i can actually play source the card is called PNY Verto GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB DDR PCI Graphics Card, now in source i already get 10-15 fps and ill just be happy with 40, but can someone tell me if this is a good buy

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
i have a gift card to bestbuy, and i want to buy a vid card so i can actually play source the card is called  PNY Verto GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB DDR PCI Graphics Card,  now in source i already get 10-15 fps and ill just be happy with 40, but can someone tell me if this is a good buy

NO. It would be a complete waste of your money to buy that card. It isn't worth 5 dollars.

Ack! It fits in an AGP slot so that most likely means that you do not have AGP which in turn means that you are limited to a PCI slot. Not sure if there are good PCI alternatives. Someone else might know.

Might be time to upgrade the whole shebang. Of course that will cost even more. And don't let these hardware snobs get to you. Just cause they have to cash to get the nice stuff doesn't mean they can disrespect you like that. For a VERY long time I was WAY behind most people here. And I was never as good at any game than when I was playing CS on my 300 mhz Pentium with a 32 MB Radeon.

Yea, I would suggest not to get either card, its a waste of money. Save up and maybe purchase a nice mid-tier system. Christmas is rolling around so maybe you can work with your parents on that one.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Yeah, there are no good PCI cards anymore. They haven't been making them since Geforce-4 and those were limited. Look at your mobo and if you have a brown or black slot close to your cpu, above the rest of them, then that is an agp slot.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

It will be the top most agp card, furthest away from the bottom of the case.

TeK
(edited)

Is there any way you can take a picture of the the inside of your system with a digi cam so we can see if you have an AGP slot? If you don't have a slot I'd strongly suggest the new computer option I mentioned.

http://www.imageshack.us for free hosting of the picture if you need to.

I'd still consider the option of saving up money and buying a nice mid tier system for about 500-700 dollars or again talk with your parents about it, Christmas time is coming up and I'm sure you guys can work out a deal. It can go much farther for you in the long run.

Edited by TeK

I'm with Con, if you don't have the money for a new system, that card should do pretty well. Sure, it's not nearly as good as the AGP cards that are out, but if you don't have a system that will take them what can you do? I have to ask what video card you have now. Is there even a video card, or is it onboard video (i.e., the motherboard has the video connector)? If it's onboard video, I'd defninitely look into a card like this, but I would also check newegg.com

Of course, there is a very good point with Christmas coming up, you might look into what a new system would cost. They're not too awful expensive these days, and you should weigh that carefully.

Like Congregation, I was also behind the techie curve for awhile, and am falling back behind it again. If a new(er) computer is not in the works, and you're going to be using this one for at least another year or so, especially if the video is onboard, I'd say it's worth the investment. It's not great, and the hardware buffs will speak out against me, but I think you should consider it based on the performance increase from what you have, not what you could get with more money.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I would highly recommend you NOT get that card even if it is AGP and you have an AGP slot. You may want to start saving up for a new system from the sounds of it.

(edited)
I would highly recommend you NOT get that card even if it is AGP and you have an AGP slot.  You may want to start saving up for a new system from the sounds of it.

me and ZD might not agree on politics :P but we always agree when it comes to computers...

in short: that card blows.....

my roomate plays on a 1800+ GF4MX 64 meg card and gets like 20 up to 40+ max FPS....

i think you dont have your drivers installed right or you have a crappy comp and a new video card won't help

Edited by NOFX

May have an older AGP slot.

From http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,78044,pg,2,00.asp

There are three different types of AGP slots: the original AGP 1.0 1X/2X slot, the AGP 2.0 2X/4X slot, and the AGP Pro slot. The 1X/2X version is the shortest and can be distinguished from the 4X type by a small separator that divides it into two sections. The 4X slot also has extra pins at one end.

If it was me I'd spend the money on a new MB first.