LIGHTEN up a tad on the pubbers

Fatty

You know I'll be the first to admit that we don't want most people in our server, but please don't mistake that for what it is not.

When someone goes off the handle and starts flippin the F bomb, etc...I'm actually sorry to see that happen.

Things are getting a little too intense, and a couple of our admins need to step back a little bit. Consider a few guidelines:

-Don't search for a way to ban people. Let them ban themselves. Don't set them up.

-Choose your battles. Don't wreck the environment to hang one person. Warn quietely, then remove if you need to. Don't involve the entire server.

-We need to be models. Use the words "please" and "thanks" even when addressing someone who may not deserve that. "Check that language, please" is direct, but not really threatening.

Other examples:

"Please keep the game moving." (also, know the difference between delaying and camping...let the time run out on a round before you say anything at all)

"Work toward the objective."

I've noticed many of our console messages are degrading while carrying this same message. Keep them phrased on the positive.

-Speaking of threatening, don't do it. State the rules of the server, remove for non-compliance. That's it. Kick for minor, ban for major.

-Don't look to be bigger than life. If we need a tyrant, that's my job in the end. Although it's not the best job, it's many times necessary. We don't need a server full of tyrants.

-Enjoy the game. If you're not having fun....leave. I'd rather have a crazy server gone toward ghetto than a cowering server due to a tinkled off admin.

I'll take responsibility for where we are now. I've deleted the 885 bans topic because that did not help things at all. Our goal should be reform, not elimination. My 95% rants have taken us on a path that I really didn't intend, although it's true. Seek out the 5% and encourage them to return. Let's focus on the 5 instead of the 95.

Another note on the banned forums: I've let some things go, but we need to get back to the basic rule: Let the admins involved and the moderators of the banned forums address the person. Let's not gang up on people, there's no nobility in it.

So in a word...don't let the quality go down, just be a bit more sophisticated about it. Be courteous to those that are not, and don't make a spectacle.

In summary, I need to see some changes, these are not just dreams and suggestions. We need to focus more on the positive. Don't let up, just lighten up.

Feel free to ask any questions you want here.

Mk5

Edit:

Fatty: without emotion, give me your version of went went down in the server with hangover tonight....paraphrase, i can pull the logs for actual conversation, but I just want your take on all of it.

Mk5: He called us hookers? or whores or some variation of the word, as a warning I kicked him. Then later he called me a wuss because I hadn't rushed into a bomb site that was about to explode so I kicked him again (I'm pretty sure he was bitter over his first kicking). After that I said something about him being bitter over his first kicking and told him we don't need childish attitudes like that on our servers. He went on to say something along the lines of how I shouldn't take out my frustration on him. Someone on console told him to shut his mouth (wasnt me) and he did so I asumed the problem was fixed. If anything happened after that I can't remember.

Fatty: That was me on console. What we need to do is put the fire out.....and I know what happens when people go toe-to-toe with me or any admin.

Thanks.

Mk5: Something you should know:

The reason I kick so much is because kicking accomplishes three goals.

1) Removes fairweather e-thugs from the servers (because they probably won't come back).

2) Resets the persons score (because for some people this is a punishment ie hangover).

3) Resets the persons cash (this is a punishment).

My main goal behind kicking is not to get rid of them but to show them that violation of server rules has a consequence: making them have to reconnect and having low score/cash.

Fatty: I understand your theory on kicking...but you need to be ready to deal with the guys that come back that disagree with you. Let's discuss this in the thread so everyone can benefit from it.

Just tone it down a little. You went nutz in UT for a while too, remember? Go back to having fun with it. (also, know that the thread is not only about you, nor is just about hangover...I'm taking the wrap for heading us in here at this pace....now we have to pull back a little)

Thats it I think, sorry it took so long I've been playing HL2 since I got home, only checked the boards cause I was about to go get food^

Edited by Mk5

GC Founder

Mk do me a favor, post up our whole conversation, because I didn't save my "sent" stuff...just post my response to that, please.

Also, my statements above are more focused on events leading up to the kick.

We all raise our kids differently, we also snap at some things that others will not.

What I really need is an acknowledgement from each admin about the points that I listed above.

It's gotta be FUN and disciplined...not fun and disciplined.

Am I coming through? All I need is an aye aye from each guy.

<The young padawan starts pulling his hair out>

I don't have much hair left ya know :P

Okay, you know I can easily switch out of ban spam mode but in all honesty I'm having a hard time finding the fine line in a huge grey area that the previous admins have set up.

I'll keep trying, I'll need some information to make things much easier for me tho.

1) Can someone post up on the admin forums how to just kick with the rcon?

2) I know Zero and MK know how to do this but I need an example of how to set an rcon say "blah blah blah" to a hotkey so I dont' have to type generic messages every time I startup CS.

3) Same situation but binding "status" to a key

4) Fatty, if you'd take some time and create some generic messages that I can store that gets across the message in terms you would feel promote the rules as much as the gameplay that I can store.

That would be a huge help, thx.

aye aye

Edited by Brillow_Head

GC Founder

Once I get my MOTMs back, and other admin, things will be MUCh easier.

ZD are we able to bind keys to rcon console says? If so, we can set up some binds that everyone will use so the wording is consistent.

GC Founder

Courtesy of our new HLSW....here's an example of a successful interaction.

13:46:53 (      T) Dred-P-                            : truckin reload

13:46:56 (      T) golly gee!                          (TEAM): nt

13:46:57 (    CT) scaryc                              : crap

13:46:57 (    CT) ۩ Ģه†ђ  ۩          (TEAM): be carfull

13:47:00 (Console) Console                            : dred, language please, keep it clean

13:47:04 (      T) Dred-P-                            : oh sorry

13:47:06 (    CT) ĦưmÄ…Å‹ ∞ ۄÂ?ÑÂ?Ñ„ÑÂ? â„¢      : USE

13:47:06 (Console) Console                            : thanks

GC Founder

This guy went F'n about not getting to his console:

13:57:37 (Console) Console                             : soldaten please leave the F word out while here, thanks

13:57:52 (Console) Console                             : and the rest of the 4 letter words too :P

13:58:00 (      T) SuCk1t                              : what about help?

13:58:10 (Console) Console                             : soldaten, confirm please

13:58:21 (     CT) SSsoldaten                          : confirm??

13:58:29 (Console) Console                             : do not swear here please and thanks

13:58:37 (     CT) SSsoldaten                          : sorry

13:58:40 (Console) Console                             : thanks

13:58:48 (      T) Burrito                       (TEAM): this map looks way dif

Notice i waited a moment, then asked him for confirmation that he heard me. (the same way that I need confirmation from the Source admins that you guys have visited here)

GC Founder

3 in a row! Look how receptive they are when you're not threatening:

14:02:21 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : i only had 1 more semester

14:02:23 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : and now i'm trucked

14:02:27 (    CT) Dexter                              : Haha

14:02:28 (    CT) ĦưmÄ…Å‹ ∞ ۄÂ?ÑÂ?Ñ„ÑÂ? â„¢      : got spawn camped again

14:02:41 (    CT) {CgS}RivaL                          : KILL TEH BURRITO!

14:02:44 (    CT) Dexter                              : I'd skip my class tonight if I didnt have to turn in my 10 page paper

14:02:47 (    CT) -=TFC=- T-REX                (TEAM): guys i got team shot like 3 times on T side of the bridge and i was alone want to be carefull

14:02:55 (Console) Console                            : crzygeoff, speak without swearing please

14:02:55 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : holy crap

14:02:57 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : long time

14:03:03 (Console) Console                            : can you do that for me?

14:03:05 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : sory

14:03:07 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : sure thing

14:03:09 (Console) Console                            : thanks

14:03:17 (    CT) TaCo!                              : sup yall

14:03:21 (      T) [WSA]Crzygeoff                      : i forget which servers allow it and which ones don't

I think we should have old style filter, like if u drop f-bomb it makes u say gamerscoalition.com or Viva le GC! etc.

Personally I get more mad if some1 edits my words, bettter to just black em out alltogether I guess

Edited by BIGSHaW

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Roger Fatty. I am actually one of the nicest admins out there. I warn nicely about every time except for the terrible "C" words and racist and homophobe (f-word) users are just gone right away.

I liked on trop when someone swore they got slapped to like 50 hp.

please for the love of pete ! I played last night for the first time in a long time and did not enjoy myself. The server is run like a prison, im even scared to talk.

I saw a guy slip and say a curse and within 1/2 second he said sorry. Another 3 seconds later he was gone without any please don't swear, read the rules, nothing... People were being harrased for being slow about planting the bomb on a team that was being dominated. Now im of the opinion that if your on a team that's slaughtering the other, and they can't even get to the bombsite let alone plant it then you should go to their team and help, not start kicking member's of the already losing team because they can't complete their objective.

And the console spamming every 2 minutes made me leave. Getting a half a screen full of spam in the middle of battle is no fun. Once in a while i could live with but it was just too much.

I'm all for what this community wants and stands for, but our server needs to be a little more forgiving/patient imo. The fun atmosphere is gone, the try not to get banned atmostphere is here. All of the admins seemed so ready to hand out bans, almost like that was the reason they were in the server, not to play the game.

Edited by All Kill3r

GC Founder

Play more than one time before you type a book. This is the reason we're talking here in this forum, to make it better.

I agree, the console spam needs to lessen, but remember, joeclient complains that he doesn't know all the time, right?

Like I said, play a little more and be part of the construction, instead of just flaming. Last night I saw as many as 8 GC on at one time, I was in briefly. The server ran all night.

Play more than once and then gather some data instead of just reacting. You see the name of this thread? You could simply say that yes, you agree, we need to lighten up, without all the "name of pete" animation.

GC Founder

Again, I agree with you nearly 100%, AK...it's just that I'm trying to run a constructive route toward where we need to be, instead of the flame within.

Ranger, get out of this topic and go cheer for the blue! :P

please for the love of pete ! I played last night for the first time in a long time and did not enjoy myself.  The server is run like a prison, im even scared to talk.

I saw a guy slip and say a curse and within 1/2 second he said sorry. Another 3 seconds later he was gone without any please don't swear, read the rules, nothing... People were being harrased for being slow about planting the bomb on a team that was being dominated. Now im of the opinion that if your on a team that's slaughtering the other, and they can't even get to the bombsite let alone plant it then you should go to their team and help, not start kicking member's of the already losing team because they can't complete their objective.

And the console spamming every 2 minutes made me leave. Getting a half a screen full of spam in the middle of battle is no fun. Once in a while i could live with but it was just too much.

I'm all for what this community wants and stands for, but our server needs to be a little more forgiving/patient imo. The fun atmosphere is gone, the try not to get banned atmostphere is here. All of the admins seemed so ready to hand out bans, almost like that was the reason they were in the server, not to play the game.

with the exception of the playing for the first time part i agree with everything that ak said. Just my 2 cents. I like to play the game too. Most of the time its simple messups that the client hardly has a chance to apologize for. The console spamming gets really annoying especially when your alive and concentrating :)

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that out of all the CS servers out there we unfortunatley are a minority with the way we run our server. Keep that in mind. 9 times out of 10 they didnt know....simple as that. Otherwise its been fun.

Before I close though, admins really need to set the example...if im in a server and an admin is spamming the mic at me because i messed up...why play there. NOt any one of us is so high caliber that we cant realise that people make mistakes. just lighten up and have fun. I have noticed a few hypocritical statements made about players camping too much and in that same situation they do the same thing.

This server can be admined fairly and in accordance to our rules...just have to remember there will always be new clients and not all deserve the wrath that i have seen in the last few weeks.

Done :peace: