Is this wierd?

gOOters

I dunno why I am posting here, maybe because I value these opinions a little more.

Anyhow, one thing I listed to my wife as a fun Christmas present would be an AK-74 assault style rifle...semi auto.

I have shot one before a couple of times, and I used to go shooting back in the day (i live in TX).

She wasnt raised around guns and even though she puts up with my rifle, pistol, shotgun...she went ballistic at this idea from me. She thinks that I am some neo-nazi, Satanic, sadistic freak for wanting one.

Granted, there is no practical purpose for having one, and after she freaked out, I said I didnt want one anymore :(

Was this a wierd request? If not, why does my wife always have to be right or else we have a huge fight with her bawling and stuff?

Maybe she's just aggrivated because she secretly bought you an AK-47 and then you went and asked for an AK-74? (is that a gun or a typo....honestly it could be a gun for all i know!)

Pick your battles. I wouldn't go to bat(tle) over an assault rifle. You're looking to establish your family, not take over a small town, Rambo.

Heehee, not a typo. I guess I have a little redneck in me after all.

I gave up on the rifle immediately, but she keeps trying to convince me that only the mentally disturbed go for that kind of thing. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that opinion. I might be deranged, but Im not disturbed! :P

For what it's worth, I have alot of buddies (and me to an extent) who grew up "plinking" on their ranches and property with everything from shotguns to .22 rifles, to pistols, etc.

I even have a friend who buys these $3K-4K rifles (think Sharp's single shot) who has a HUGE ranch. He likes to go and take aim (no scope, just pop-up sights) and try to hit refridgerator sized rocks at about a mile. He can shoot and put his gun down and then watch the bullets hit.

Maybe me wife just doesnt get the little boy in us men. ;)

Just for experimental sake, I will tell my girlfriend I am changing my suggestion from the sound card I wanted to a rifle. See what she says... I don't think it is ridiculous at all Goot, but then again I grew up with guns in the house and love going to the range. I have wanted a Walther p99 for sometime now, and will eventually own one. Catriona knows this, doesn't like this, but knows that it will be stored safely away and out only to go to the range.

If you dare, and it may start a battle, try to reason that the ammunition used in that gun is expensive and it is more for the collection value of it. Sure you will take it out to shoot now and again, but it's more of the "Hey I have one of those!" factor. (Which is why you want one if you are anything like me, I would assume.)

Catriona also always has to be right or she gets very mad. I don't get it, and probably never will. But I can't complain since I am pretty bullheaded too! I have found it helpful to say, "Yes, I see where you are coming from and you may very well be right. But this is how I see it." Gah, crazy cat just stole my candy cane wrapper, so I gotta prevent a mess now.. Hope the reply helps ya out a bit!

I don't think its a deranged thing at all. There's nothing morally wrong about owning a rifle or an assault rifle for that matter. So I think the belief that you're a "Neo-nazi" for wanting one is both extreme and unfair. It's just a gun, like any other, but there are a few (I think sheltered) people that just think guns are horrible wretched things used only for acts of violence.. I personally don't and won't own a gun (simply due to the risks it can present), but I think the view that only sick psychos own them is naive.

That said... it's just a gun. A (and I use this word very loosely) toy that guys like just because it's cool. I personally wouldn't go against my lady over it but that's just me...

He can shoot and put his gun down and then watch the bullets hit.

Erm, that dewd is quick with good eyes (meaning not bothering to look through binocs, etc)? M16 movin over 3k ft / sec means a mile in well under 2 seconds?

Unless he's lofting a mortar shell? :boing:

Yes...he IS lofting! That's what I meant. And the rifles he has are like old fashioned rifles. Some of them are even black powder.

Here is an example of one of his guns

http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/product...&products_id=35

Plus, he has several that shoot bullets out of a normal casing, but one at a time. And these bullets are H U G E.

These rifles have a very low muzzle velocity, so yes, in 2 seconds you can fire your shot and lower your rifle to watch the impact, the puff of smoke off the rock.

Oh, and it musta been less than a mile ;)