HL Storyline Theories *SPOILERS*

((Shockwave))

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING! HL/HL2 SPOILERS ARE IN THIS THREAD! PLEASE DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU'VE BEATEN THE GAMES.

Okay now that the warning is out of the way, I hope nobody has posted this before, I apologize if so, but I've talked to a friend and these things are starting to bug me. HL2 left us with so many questions and no answers. So I decided to come up with points to discuss. Also, feel free to post your own.

Fig. #1: Freeman's "contract" payment.

It seems like something is starting to make sense. I highly doubt G-Man is selling Freeman's services out for cash. Why would somebody that can control space and time need money?

Possible Explanations:

° Freeman is just a pawn in a game. The organization G-Man works for just puts Freeman in these situations to see how strong he is, and what he can change.

° The organization G-Man works for takes something more valuable than cash for services. Like another life for example (Like Alyx).

° One zany theory we came up with was the Barney/G-Man theory. From what I heard I don't think Barney directly acknowledges G-Man in either HL or HL2. How could somebody live through the Black Mesa incident, become undercover with the combines, miss his beating quotas, and cut out on shifts without them knowing. The combine seems like a very organized force. They would notice Barney's flaws in a heartbeat. Either Barney is G-Man, or Barney works with G-Man.

Fig. #2: City 17 and the Combine.

Even though Xen was under control at the end of HL, doesn't mean that Earth was safe. Also, How did somebody on the head of Black Mesa strike a deal with an overpowering alien force to be able to govern a city of humans?

Possible Explanations:

° Somebody wanted Freeman to open that portal. (G-Man for example. You were already working for him at the beginning of HL, but you didn't know. If the Combine were the evil alien force that possibly used this portal to attack Earth, they probably paid G-Man)

° The man leading City 17 struck a deal with the Combine as they invaded Black Mesa. But he too thought you died in the Black Mesa incident, because after all, they paid to keep you down.

Fig. #3: The Environmental Suit.

Your environmental suit makes a strange reappearance in HL2. The last person to see you wear it was G-Man. How did one's suit get from G-Man to a scientist so he could upgrade it?

Possible Explanations:

° Again the Barney/G-Man theory is a possible here.

° The people that bought your contract were in that circle of people you helped. Apparently the Combine couldn't make their end of the deal and somebody bought out your contract to save them. Which explains why everybody was surprised to see you alive.

Fig. #4: Freeman: The Living Dead?

Everybody is shocked to see you. You went missing and you were presumed dead. So how does Barney know to pick you off at the security check point? Nobody knew you were on that train.

Possible Explanations:

° Barney/G-man once again can work here.

° The Combine didn't pay their payment, and they thought they got G-Man off their back. They had not even the slightest clue you'd ever come back into the picture. That explains why the second time you teleport into City 17's citadel the Doctor is talking to the leader of these "Combine" saying he thought he just saw you.

° Of course, there can be dumb luck, but that just doesn't work in a high-profile story like this.

Fig. #5: The G-Man.

The basic question that haunts us all. Who the heck is G-Man? And What Is He Doing?

Possible Explanations:

° As stated earlier, He could be Barney in his "human" form.

° G-Man and the Orgianiztion are placing Freeman in this to see how he can handle these problems. (Like the one spiderman episode where the Beyonder get's all the people from earth and sets them to take over another planet)

° G-Man is some sort of Alien, with a Human form, He can choose who seems him, and he can choose who remembers him.

Fig. #6: The Cat and Lamar [HL2 Plothole]

What is this cat Barney and the scientist are talking about? And how in the heck did Lamar get back to the lab? (More like a plothole)

Possible Explanations:

° Barney keeps hearing this cat, I don't recall seeing a mutated or ghost cat anywhere.

° How does a cat survive in City 17? There isn't any good places for those things to live.

° Lamar, Didn't that alien facehugger jump out of the teleporter? He sure as heck wasn't back in the lab after your first jump. He ran out into the deserted land place. How did he get back when you and Alyx escpaed the Combines?

Summary: My Main Theory

Black Mesa; G-Man already has you "hired", and aliens buy out your services. You may have stopped once alien race attack, but you leave the portal wide open. That's because you were hired to do so. The air raid of Black Mesa and the total destruction of it put a good set of clues to presume Gordon Freeman dead. These Combine paid something in return to keep you out of the picture, but somebody out there had a better offer and got you back in. The Combine had no idea you would show up, thinking they had you "terminated". I imagine G-Man wouldn't call them up saying your deal is off, Freeman is with the rebels now. So basically you catch them by surprise, and end up fighting the Combine off and causing a huge explosion on the citadel. Alyx might have been the price the rebels paid to get you in. Although I can't really think of explanation beyond that the organization probably wouldn't accept money for offers. (Or like another of the mini theories that "Freeman is just a pawn in a game. The organization G-Man works for just puts Freeman in these situations to see how strong he is, and what he can change.")

Credit: Me [CUatTHEFINISH / ((Shockwave))], and Traiklin

More coming soon, I'm still reading through my convo with this guy. And feel free to post your own thoughts, and if this thread is too much or if it has been posted before, please feel free to delete. Thanks.

Last Updated: 12/17/04 @ 11:06pm ET

Edited by ((Shockwave))

shock,

what about the aliens that shoot the green lightning from thier one eye?

these guys are slaves now? Perhaps there are 3 groups in this.

human (enslaved)

combine

(enslaved)

they were all over in zen and now you see em pushing a broom

whats up with that? They are also working with humans helping them?

HMMMMM

Aug

shock,

what about the aliens that shoot the green lightning from thier one eye?

these guys are slaves now?  Perhaps there are 3 groups in this.

human (enslaved)

combine

(enslaved)

they were all over in zen and now you see em pushing a broom

whats up with that?  They are also working with humans helping them?

HMMMMM

Aug

I'm thinking the Xen Aliens were slaves to the Combine, and they helped them do their dirty work. If you think about it, they got what they wanted. All this chaos, and Gordon opened that portal for them (Combine). I'm thinking the Combine paid G-Man for this, so they could take over Earth. (Remember, your contract is open for the highest bidder) Those enslaves aliens were afriad to uprise over the powerful force of the Combine, but decided to help the cause when they saw Freeman appear. That would defiantly raise the enslaved aliens morals, seeing the man that dealt a major blow to the combine was still alive.

Edited by ((Shockwave))