Phantom of the Opera

Playaa

flat out not that good.

60/100

If you enjoy Phantom of the Opera, the actual stage musical (which I do)...then you can glean SOME enjoyment from this film...but if you don't enjoy musicals DO NOT go see this movie...you will be booooored!

All in all the directing was over the top...the singing was exactly like the stage performance (only not live so it took away from some of the experience)..the acting was alright, nothing spectacular.

2 things that DID shine in the movie:

1) Minnie Driver as the diva...she was just plain funny.

2) the girl who played Christine...dear heavens was that girl attractive...and she's only 18...yeesh...

I'm pretty sure that if you aren't a fan of the stage version then you definatly won't want to see this film. It is nothing more than the stage version with camera angles...only I've seen the stage version done much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive seen it live...twice. I've heard that the acting/singing left something to be desired.

ALW showed pure genius with the composition, but I think he exhausted his resources...poorly cast movie, nothing great from him since then either.

Michael Crawford was/is/always will be the Phantom. His voice makes me go from pure cro-mag (default) to tears.

I would have given anything to have seen it on stage with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman (she is as talented as he is, imo).

Anyhow...I am doomed. I could never be anything BUT disappointed with the movie...no? Maybe I'll just listen to the CD again ;)

BG no I have never been to Broadway...I saw it at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis...it was still a great performance though.

as to the casting in this...the only miscasts I saw were Raul and the Phantom. Everyone else was great...especially Minnie Driver as the Diva and Emmy Rossum as Christine. In fact I think Emmy Rossum is the PERFECT Christine...it's just that the directing and the stages just didn't feel....right...

I still think it's worth seeing once...just maybe not in theatres.