settings for my geforce 6600 gt card

Gabe

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Your 3dmark05 score is about right for that card. As for the artifacts. Could be a bad card.

It was a driver issue for the artifacts thing, I called up XFX and they told me to get the beta drivers (67.03), I did that and it fixed that problem, the guy on the phone from XFX said my temps are good, these people are retarted, I told him I dont think the card is doing as well as it should. Then he says it verys from system to system, god to bad you cant give the finger over the phone <_< And then I found out that XFX has a message board, so I go on there and I see close to 200 threads containing something around the lines of "XFX Geforce 6600 GT problem" this is one guys topic thread "6600GT -terrible performance!":

As many of us know, after having bought what was reviewed as a great upgrade to our aging AGP bus systems, the XFX version of the 6600GT AGP has been showing terrible performance. My system is an AMD XP 3000+ barton core on a kt4v-l (kt400 chipset) motherboard, running 1 gb 2700 ram, and this card drops well below 30 fps in games like farcry and half life 2. Problems have been seen all over many boards- most notably the guru3d forums. Yes, many people have had problems with power supplies, not connecting the 12v connector to the card, etc- but many folks, myself included, have just seen terrible performance and rather high temperatures. My card idles at 51, 75-76 during gaming, no overclocking. And my card has the "new and improved" silver fan with copper heatsink that should reduce temperatures by 10-20!

One noticeable difference is that by many accounts of ther XFX 660GT owners, the bios version reported is MUCH older than what other vendors are shipping. I also have installed the drivers (67.03) as recommended, and have not seen any improvements.

Hey XFX- get this fixed soon, or you're going to start seeing a helluva lot of your cards being RMA'd!!

[REPLY]

Ditto!

I've been hitting the tech boards hard trying to find a fix for the last 3 weeks or so. Still nothing.

I have a degree in computer science, so I'm not your average idiot w/o agp drivers or power connector. I've tried all drivers/bios/tweaks/os installs with no solution.

I get horrible fps in UT2004 and HL2/CS:S... generally averaging around 30 fps with very frequent dips below 10 fps (yes, thats low res, low detail, no AA or AF).

I have the old fan with the monster thing on it and the card runs at about 37-40C idle and about 50C under load.

Gonna RMA this card soon if I don't hear anything from XFX.

Processor: P4 2.26 GHz @ 533 FSB

Operating System: XPSP2

Mobo: Asus P4P800SE (Intel 865PE w/ ICH5R)

RAM: Crucial DDR333 1 Gig

Video: XFX 6600 GT AGP

Storage: WD 120 Gig

Audio: AC'97 6-Channel Integrated

Power Supply: Antec TruePower 430w (20A on 12v rail)

I would lists ALL the complaints about XFX's 6600 GT card but it would take up a few pages of gamerscoalition and I dont want to do that, I guss its pritty obvious that Iam not the only one who has a problem with there card, Iam returning this card and most likly getting one made by eVGA or maybe another brand, please let me know whos good, BECUASE XFX SUCKS! :nono:<_<:(

Edited by Gabe

Ok, I have spent most of the day reading all over forums about how many people have the poor proformance with the 6600 GT, basicly people are saying that they just have to wait for a bios update of there card or a driver update from nvidia, I really dont know what to do, I dont like having to wait for something that I paid 230 bucks for, its not fun and its not right, so what should I do? What the heck is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gabe

You basically are experiencing the following:

- You have low ram - Stuttering will occur in areas where there are a lot of physics.  Market in italy, A site in de_chateau, etc.

- You probably have a CPU bottleneck.  Unless you are running an Athlon 64 - 3200, you are bottlenecked.  The further down the CPU ladder you go, the more bottlenecked you are

- The GF-5200 is a directx 8.1 card.  The 6600GT is a direct x 9 card.  Direct x 9 has a lot of shader functions that are both GPU AND CPU reliant.

You are not experiencing anything abnormal.  You are basically hitting a zone where adding a great GPU didn't help you as much as you'd like, simply because the other components of your system are lacking.

Raising to 1GB RAM will remove game stutter, especially in areas like italy's market and upon initial entry into any map

Upgrading CPU will increase overall fps.

If you are that concerned, force CS to use dx 8.1 and you'll get a noticeable increase in FPS although you'll lose some cool features, especially water effects.

I can promise your not bottlenecking that cpu... your not running any 64 bit applications so that's totally irrelevant.

Yea I know, I dunno what that guy is talking about, Iam about to yell at these XFX, I just left a message, I said, if you cant fix my card give me my money back now! These fools are about to get there donkey told very soon

Couple of things....

I just received a XFX 6600GT (upgraded from a Ti 4200) and love it. It does run a bit

hot but I'm working on that. I have been running HL2, CS:S and UT4K and haven't

noticed anything - except awesome graphics.

A few things do come to mind in regards to the performance issues. I agree with

everyone else and their comments about memory. IF your mobo/processor can

handle it, upgrade to 1G of the fastest memory you can handle - then check to see

what your AGP aperture size is.

SIS had a specific problem with their motherboards and the XFX 6600GT card.

Turns out they had to release specific drivers for it. Since the 6600GT is new, you

might be seeing a problem with your mobo, so all I can say is check their website

(sorry!).

The only thing I noticed withthe 6600GT is that it has a nasty tendency to idle hot

(47C?). I am looking on changing or modifying the heatsink/fan, but haven't found

anything that indicated that it will work the the 6600GT. Does anyone know if any

heatsink or cooling solutions for the 6800 series would work on the 6600? I'm trying

to see if the Artic NV Silencer 5 would work.

BTW - Anandtech did a review on a bunch of 6600GT cards and indicated that there

can be problems with the manufacturer supplied heatsinks and fans - especially with

the way they are attached. Read the article for additional information

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295

HTH.

Yea, I should be getting more ram somtime next week, i'll see if that fixes my low scores problem, if not it could be something with xfx, then I'll mostly get a evga 6800. I think most likly I should get the score I should be with the new ram