settings for my geforce 6600 gt card

Gabe

I just got a XFX Geforce 6600 GT card today(christmas moring) And I need some advice on what I should put its settings on, before this card I had a PNY Geforce FX 5200 card and Iam not really noticing to big of a difference with my new 6600 gt YIKES! :bang: These are the settings it gives me in the Proformance and Quality Settings:

Antialiasing settings: App controlled/Off/2x/2xQ/4x/8xS

Anisotropic filtering: App controlled/Off/2x/4x/8x/16x

Image settings: High performance/Performance/Quality/High quality

Vertical sync: App controlled/Off/On

Force mipmaps: None/Bilinear/Trilinear

Conformant texture clamp: On/Off

Hardware acceleration: Single-display mode/Multi-display compatibility mode/Multi-display performance mode (I have dual monitors)

Trilinear optimization: Off/On

Anistropic mip fliter optimization: Off/On

Anistropic sample optimazation: Off/On

I also noticed that the minium system requrements required a 450 watt powersupply, I have a 350 watt, dunno if this really matters though. Anyway thanks in advance for any help, Merry Christmas :wavey:

heh, yea hook me up! :D Also would like to know what tool I should use for ocing my card. People say the resaults are huge when it comes to ocing this card

Edited by Gabe

I just got a XFX Geforce 6600 GT card today(christmas moring)  And I need some advice on what I should put its settings on, before this card I had a PNY Geforce FX 5200 card and Iam not really noticing to big of a difference with my new 6600 gt YIKES! :bang:  These are the settings it gives me in the Proformance and Quality Settings:

Antialiasing settings: App controlled/Off/2x/2xQ/4x/8xS

Anisotropic filtering: App controlled/Off/2x/4x/8x/16x

Image settings: High performance/Performance/Quality/High quality

Vertical sync: App controlled/Off/On

Force mipmaps: None/Bilinear/Trilinear

Conformant texture clamp: On/Off

Hardware acceleration: Single-display mode/Multi-display compatibility mode/Multi-display performance mode (I have dual monitors)

Trilinear optimization: Off/On

Anistropic mip fliter optimization: Off/On

Anistropic sample optimazation: Off/On

I also noticed that the minium system requrements required a 450 watt powersupply, I have a 350 watt, dunno if this really matters though.  Anyway thanks in advance for any help,  Merry Christmas :wavey:

I would set it to 8x aa, and 16x af

Basically crank that sucker up. Everything on high. That card's got enough juice to crank the settings up. If you notice a performance slip drop the AA down to 4x.

Overclocking tools can be found here, I don't own a geforce so I can't recommend which one to get, Rivatuner is popular (Rivatuner is what hardware sites use when they benchmark the cards) and so is GeForce Tweak Utilities.

Here is a link to a ton of tweaking and overclocking utlities :)

I've read that under proper cooling conditions you can take that card up to 558MHz (core) and memory clock of 515MHz safely.. I'd move up slowly at first if I were you..especially with a lower Power supply.

Hope this helped.. Merry Christmas back at ya :)

Heh, yea nice to meet you to. I browsed though that list of overclocking tools, honistly I would not know where to begin with what one to use, the "NVTweak (Coolbits 3D)" one looks good, but I really dont know, is there anyone here who knows what tool to use?

Heh, yea nice to meet you to.  I browsed though that list of overclocking tools, honistly I would not know where to begin with what one to use, the "NVTweak (Coolbits 3D)" one looks good, but I really dont know, is there anyone here who knows what tool to use?

I loaded up a few on my server, has an old geforce 2 in it.... Rivatuner seems to have everything you'd need...

Hmm, thanks for the info :) My card isent doing what I hoped, thers not to much of a difference between it and my old fx 5200 that I had before, Iam really disapointed, my perents spent 230 bucks on this card for my xmas present and its not what I was looking to, I might need more ram, that could be the thing thats making it not proform well, I look foward to this day for months and it turns out theres not really anything to look foward to, I read the benchmarks on the card and they get like 90 FPS in doom 3 and Iam not even getting half that in freaking desert combat mod for battlefield 1942, wth I mean common, this is just bs, I cant belive it, I dunno if I should get a gig of ram or what, thats the only thing else I can think of :(

Hmm, ic. Well my specs are Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz oced to 2.87 Ghz, 512 of DDR PC2100 ram, windows xp pro with sp2. Thats all I can think of, I just woke up so Iam probably missing something big :) I also have dual monitors, both are pluged into that 6600 gt card.

I dont know if battlefield 1942 is considered a old game, I play the mod desertcombat for it, If it is a old game I dont know if Iam supose to see a difference with this card and a fx 5200 since its a older game, that is if it is a older game, LOL :bang:

should I get a whole new gig of faster ram like PC3200? or should I just get another 512 of PC2100 ram

This is what Iam thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-145-440&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-141-423&depa=1

I kinda would like some faster ram for overclocking, but I dont know, those two links up there is what Iam kinda thinking of, let me know what you think

And, if Iam going for a gig, should I get two 512s? or one whole stick of a gig?

Edited by Gabe

hm..if you are using dual channel you want the same amount of sticks or each channel. But I really do not think the dual channel makes ALOT of difference. Like you would defintely be better off with a Gig of Ram regardless....If you already have 512 in one stick, Id jsut drop another stick in. Also, I dont think there would be huge performance difference between those cards. I have a ATI 9500 pro for over 2 years, I once bought a 9800 pro but took it back because it wasnt to much difference, If I want to see any improvement, Id suggest spending getting the 6800 or a x800 pro or XT.

I used to play ALOT of Desert Combat and I can tell you now a gig of ram makes the game run ALOT better. I dont have any jumps or jerks like i did with 512

Hmm, well, I get those jumps and jerks when I first start playing, then that goes away and I get low fps though the rest of the game, does the ram stay in use the whole game? like is the ram usefull though the whole game? or is it just to fix the jumps and jerks in the beginning when you first load in, will it improve my FPS? Iam really dead here, i dont know whatelse to try, I feal like just giving up and just selling my PC, I dont know what to do :bang::(

It sounds like you didnt fully uninstall the last cards drivers all the way.. You need to uninstall the drivers your using now and reboot in safemode to run 'Driver Cleaner 3'.. Then reboot and reinstall the new drivers..

And i do think the extra 512megs of ram would help..

You basically are experiencing the following:

- You have low ram - Stuttering will occur in areas where there are a lot of physics. Market in italy, A site in de_chateau, etc.

- You probably have a CPU bottleneck. Unless you are running an Athlon 64 - 3200, you are bottlenecked. The further down the CPU ladder you go, the more bottlenecked you are

- The GF-5200 is a directx 8.1 card. The 6600GT is a direct x 9 card. Direct x 9 has a lot of shader functions that are both GPU AND CPU reliant.

You are not experiencing anything abnormal. You are basically hitting a zone where adding a great GPU didn't help you as much as you'd like, simply because the other components of your system are lacking.

Raising to 1GB RAM will remove game stutter, especially in areas like italy's market and upon initial entry into any map

Upgrading CPU will increase overall fps.

If you are that concerned, force CS to use dx 8.1 and you'll get a noticeable increase in FPS although you'll lose some cool features, especially water effects.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

A big question is this, did you do a new install of Windows before replacing your video card? If not, then you need to either

1. Do a fresh Windows Install and update everything before installing vid drivers or...

2. Go to www.driverheaven.net and on the left download and run "Drivercleaner" which removes all references to your previous Nvidia drivers which are set for the 5200 card that you had. Use the nvidia cleaning option and then reboot and try a fresh driver install at that point.

I dont play CS, and I cant really afford a new CPU, I can afford a gig of ram, but I dont know if its going to fix my problem

Err...ok. I'm not here to guess what game u play. Regardless of what game, the same simple logic applies. Let me break it down for you.

DX9 is a lot more heavier on both the GPU and CPU than DX8.

DirectX...is not game dependent. So....you can apply my logic to <INSERT YOUR GAME>.

If whatever game you DO play, whether its pacman, chessmaster 2000 or austin powers, supports a way to force DX8, then give that a try.

----------------------------------

And no, adding RAM will not solve your CPU bottleneck.

I'm done here.

Edited by DJ Premier

I just ran drive cleaner 3, and installed the drivers, I just played the game and the FPS at the main menu of the game are 100, before they were half that, but Iam getting a problem look:

BF19422004-12-2812-11-56-73.jpg

BF19422004-12-2812-11-47-14.jpg

It looks like I need new drivers but I have the latest, it also looks like Iam overclocking the card but Iam not, I started getting this when I updated my mobos chipset drivers, I had to becuase in the card properties it said it was PCI, and a read that I needed to update my mobos chipset drivers to make the card read AGP, I dunno what to do now.

Another thing is, maybe Iam just overreacting, maybe the card is doing fine and its the game or something, can I use a program or something to see if the card is doing what it should, I was thinking of using like pcmark05 or whatever

Edited by Gabe

its 70 C and 158 F. I took the side of my case and put a fan right blowing on the card, still artifacts. It did take the temp down about 12 degrees F, but not good enough

Edited by Gabe