PC upgrading...

Gabe

Hey all Iam gonna get my dads pentium 4 3.0ghz hyper threaded northwood, and Iam gonna give him my pentium 4 2.53ghz northwood, and give him a stick of 512, but and Iam also ordering a gig of dual channel (2x512) pc3200 ram sometime soon, but for the meantime, in my PC Iam going to have 1 stick of 512 PC2100 ram, and I dont know how it will do with the new processor, is it going to bottlenect it or something? will I even see a difference going to this new faster processor with my slow ram? Also what kinda stuff am I going to have to do, will I need to reformat for the new cpu? or can I just put it in and be done like putting in new ram? anyway, thanks in advace, later! :wavey:

am I still going to see a difference even with my slow 2100 now? what about pc2700 will I see a difference with that, and will that be a bottleneck? What Iam asking is, is it even worth the time right now to put the new processor in even if I have pc2700 in my computer, my original pc2100 that I own is in my dads computer

Ok, just put in the new cpu, what should my settings be for like my cpu speed, right now it says 200 mhz, I can raise the level or lower, it since I just came from a 2.53 ghz cpu, I think maybe some of the settings are wrong, help me out please :)

(edited)

I have a 2.6P4 OC'd, runs on a 231 bus @ 3.0Ghz.

the P4's with Hyperthreading run on a 200 bus. x4 which is a 800 fsb.

Im not 100% sure but does the non hyperthreading that runs on the 533 bus. Run on a 133x4 fsb =533??

And its been a while since ive played around with ram, but isnt PC2700 333Mhz memory? I think you would want PC3200. But as long as you can get your PC2700 running at the same speed as your prcoessor bus or also known as a 1:1 ratio, you wont be bottlenecking. But if your ram is running slower, like on a 4:3 ratio. There is a bottleneck. But honestly I ran with a little slower ram and didnt notice to much difference Goodluck.

If your keeping the same mobo, no need for a format, if you changed, I would do one just to get it running top notch.

Edited by NOFX

thanks for the info, I put in the cpu 3.0 ghz with HT is stock, its currently at 3.30 ghz right now running stable, I supose I could take it higher, I dunno really what I should goto from here, I may try close to 3.4, but I have no idea like what is to far or not far enough on a stock 3.0 ghz pentium 4 thats hyperthreaded.

for the cpu speed in my bios I have it set to 227 and thats 3.40 ghz with HT enabled, my vcore voltage is at 1.648, and my ram timings are at 3-4-4-8, and my ram speed is set to DDR-333, (I have pc2700 in my pc right now) I guss ddr-333 is right for pc2700 ram.

(edited)

I'll try upping the ram voltage, what exactly are you saying to put the timings to? there currently at 3-4-4-8, I actually just ordered this ram a few minutes ago, should come by or on this friday http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-440&depa=1

the ram should defently get here before the cutoff date on returning my video card, hopefully it should fix my poor proformance with my XFX Geforce 6600 GT card, if not, I'll return it and mostlikly get a evga geforce 6800, I have enough money to get that, but not enough to get the x800pro :( But the 6800 should do, if somereason I dont want to get the 6800 then I'll go with the evga 6600 GT, since XFX has such big problems with most of there newer cards, most people think its XFX's problems, so many people have problems with there xfx 6600 gt card, its amazing there still in business, do you think the new ram is going to fix the problem?

Edited by Gabe