Christmas Computer PART II

Fatty

Ok.

#1, taking the onboard stuff.

#2, found 9700 pro somewhere else for 280 or so.....not really wanting to split up, but will for 50+ dollars.

#3, please, look this over and tell me what is wrong, isn't compatable, etc....I really want the front usb/fire stuff, but have no clue about boards that do that or if i have to hook it up....

#4 Dang, my price is higher than the last one, but I'll be darned if this isn't a nice pc right here...

CLICK TO SEE MY SHOPPING CART....

PS. Feel free to finish steps 2-5, insert my address, and send it to me if you want.

Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guests

ya order 2 and send me one please :D

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
thats good dude!!  but I downloaded windows XP pro off the net for free :)

This is highly frowned upon by many people, including the FBI and Microsoft.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
Ok.

#1, taking the onboard stuff.

#2, found 9700 pro somewhere else for 280 or so.....not really wanting to split up, but will for 50+ dollars.

#3, please, look this over and tell me what is wrong, isn't compatable, etc....I really want the front usb/fire stuff, but have no clue about boards that do that or if i have to hook it up....

#4 Dang, my price is higher than the last one, but I'll be darned if this isn't a nice pc right here...

CLICK TO SEE MY SHOPPING CART....

PS.  Feel free to finish steps 2-5, insert my address, and send it to me if you want.

All looks good to me Fatty. That Asus board is a good board. A little over priced. The recommended board was the Epox board, even over Asus. Super stable and very fast.

The only thing you may want to change would be the RAM. Look at PC2700 RAM (to be in sync with the 333fsb of the Processor, which is the best way to go in this case. And make sure it is CAS 2.0. I think Cosair is what you want since it works best on these boards. Can be Aggressively timed which only helps with benchmarks and tests and gaming and everything. But the CAS 2.0 RAM is def worth the extra dough. You have no need for a sound card. Already onboard, and unless you plan on making music and singing and what not, you do not need an additional sound card. And no need for network card. taken care of. hmmm...

Also, these Nforce-2 boards are Dual DDR controlled. Meaning if you have multiple sticks of RAM of the same type, it is beneficial. Not necessary but hey, if you can afford it, buy another stick of the same type, just make sure they are CAS 2.0. And PC2700. It gives more bandwidth, hypothetically double the bandwidth.

Great picking buddy. You got what i would get. (minus the RAM)

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

OH yeah, try to get that XP CPU retail. Otherwise, you will have to buy a seperate heatsink and fan. OEM's do not come with one. =) Make sure it supports that hotter/faster/better cpu.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

oh yeah, buy a cd-rom for this too unless you already have one. I do not see one on your list. and try to get Round IDE cables. better air flow. and get a couple of more fans for that case. Man. That is gonna be one sweet system. Radeon 9700 pro... where do you live again? lol

j/k. have a Merry Christmas (or alternative holiday)

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

one last thing. Pray that Asus board doesn't give you any problems. Asus has the worst RMA policy/procedure in the business. Horrible service. Dealing with them is like trying to serve angel food cake to satan.

GC Founder
Look at PC2700 RAM  (to be in sync with the 333fsb of the Processor, which is the best way to go in this case.  And make sure it is CAS 2.0.

On my list: KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM

You lost me....isn't that right?

10-4 on the chip...didn't notice the OEM.

I'll look at all of it and probably toss in another 512 if I can at the end.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

Looks solid. Honestly though I would not pick up the radeon 9700 right now. Granted their drivers have gotten better, I still don't trust them. The card is a great card. But if you want power I would wait up for the Geforce FX. Its already benchmarking 4 times higher than the ti4600. I hear it isn't going to be 400 bucks either so you may want to look at that. Go ahead, flame me you radeon people. I will never change from Nvidia.

TeKNiK

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
Looks solid.  Honestly though I would not pick up the radeon 9700 right now.  Granted their drivers have gotten better, I still don't trust them.  The card is a great card.  But if you want power I would wait up for the Geforce FX.  Its already benchmarking 4 times higher than the ti4600.  I hear it isn't going to be 400 bucks either so you may want to look at that.  Go ahead, flame me you radeon people.  I will never change from Nvidia.

TeKNiK

Those benchmarks are Nvidia's numbers. I trust them like I do Sadam. If you want the system now, then get it. Or wait a couple of months to see what the Geforce FX benches at from 3rd party sources. Not only that, but it's release will cause the 9700 Pro price to drop, etc.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
On my list: KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM

You lost me....isn't that right?

10-4 on the chip...didn't notice the OEM.

I'll look at all of it and probably toss in another 512 if I can at the end.

Fatty, this is what you have on your shopping cart.

KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM (better than 2100 2400)

6 Layers High Quality Board; CL 2.5; 184-Pin Unbuffered. Requires DDR supported Motherboard

Please notice the CL 2.5. That is your CAS LATENCY. You want that at 2.0. You do not NEED it but with the Nforce2 chipset the bios has built RAM timing settings. They are designed with CL 2.0 in mind. If you can afford it, get that.

If you are not sure about your video card right now but need one to run with this new system. Take a look at the Radeon 9500 PRO. You can get one right around the 170 dollar range. It will not set you too far back like the 9700 pro will, and it will play any game, now with Directx 9. Then later you can get a Pro 9700 or Geforce FX or what not if you like what you see or price allowing. That is what I would do. Then again, i would get a 9700 pro if i had the dough to spend as well.

GC Founder

I'm confused about which motherboard to get. I was looking at the Epox too, but I would need an exact number.

Also, again, how do I take advantage for the front USA and FIREWIRE access that comes with my case.

Non-OEM AMD chips are out of stock right now, but yes, I would wait to get heatsink and fan with it....forgot about that.

Found the RAM you mentioned. Do you think $52 is worth it to go from 2.5 to 2 in the CAS thingy catagory? That seems to be the jump. That's for 512 MB.

The video cards are kinda up in the air now. I'm looking at the difference in benchmarks, and then in price. 9500 is under 200, and Ti4600 is about 250.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

GAH GAH GAH. NO FATTY NO NO NO. do not touch a GF4. At the very least get a Radeon 9500PRO. you do NOT want the regular 9500, it is crap. The 9500 PRO is what you want. It is fully DirectX-9 compliant. GF4 cards are not. And the R9500 pro outperforms them all, especially with AF and AA on. blows them away. If they are out of stock, wait a couple of weeks. It is worth it over the GF4 cards.

Regarding the RAM, take the Epox board, save about 40 or so dollars and use it for the CL 2.0 RAM. can also save some money on that vid card. I believe it is worth it. In regard to the Firewire, etc. yeah, your case has front panels for it, and these mobo's support that. Best thing to do is ask Newegg by calling them instead. They can see the board and the case and tell you if it will work. I believe so but I am not totally sure and do not want to give you bs advice.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Yes fatty, the epox mobo will use your front panels on that case. AND if you mention pricewatch when you order, you will get that epox board for only 103 dollars. And it comes with round cables already.

BTW, i have the same exact case. Only difference is that mine has a fan on the left side in the window. Same color and everything. good pick buddy.

Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guests

Im gonna laugh when ups losses your computer :lol:

Looks like a good list there Fatty, I have some opinions like everyone else and ZD is giving it to you straight and I'll let him continue.

Just get an extra fan or two for the case, ones that you can manually adjust the speed/noise. Set them to run slow to purge the hot air without the noise.

http://www.amdmb.com/ Check out their fourms, great info and quick responses if you have a tech question, might help if you get stuck on drivers/settings/etc.

fatty, i decided i needed to upgrade my mobo today and i did some searching, the funny thing is, someone told you to get the epox mobo. After I found it today I was gettin ready to post here saying its the same just a lil cheaper, guess im to late, oh well time to order!