Idea...(about adding bots)

I noticed today that the Scopeless server was empty, and of course it was early when I joined. But I have an idea so that no matter what time it is, you can have some opponents, even if they are bots.

What you do is set bot_quota to 10, so there are at least 10 bots in the server at all times. Then set the bot_quota_mode to "fill". This way, when someone joins the server, one of the bots will leave. Once 10 people are in the server, all the bots will be gone. I think this would be a good idea for those early morning people who feel like playing a game of CS:S when no one else is around.

Just a suggestion.

I didn't know we could add bots. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the idea. Once a few people join our servers, they usually take off. You're correct, nobody should have to play with themselves.

Ok, i was playing with the bots today and it seemed reasonably successful as there were a couple of people joining.

I was wondering what difficulty level are they on because one guy was accussing a bot of hacking, lol he was being serious as well!

I have one further suggestion though, could you disable all the bots weapons so they only have knives because i need to improve my rankings...

With all my love,

bb

Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guests

My two cents: I avoid bot servers like the plague. The constant annoying voices interefere with the way I use sound a lot to play, and I feel you're forced into playing to fit the bots' style.

I dunno, I think its kind of a cheap way to get the server moving. If there are bots there and someone joins, they'll prolly jsut leave again, so I dont see how it could pull anyone in.

Anyway, jsut my two cents

Thanks for your feedback, LazErus, not to be confused with LazArus...did you come up with a new way to shape your name yet?

Early this morning there were games started with real people....which means the bots did their job and then were dismissed. Setting the bots to 8 max does nothing but give you something to do while you wait for the rest of your buddies to log on.

You gotta weight it out:

server with 0 players or one of our community players faithfully starting up a game

versus

one of our faithful community members killing bots while he waits just a few moments for everyone else to arrive.

Let me know when you see the server full of just bots, btw. I'm asleep during that time.

To address the "cheap" part...well, there are some specific guys that work hard to whip up a game, which in the end is the building block of our community. If these guys can be given help...I wouldn't call it cheap, I'd call it a tool that should be used. You won't see us running 20 bots to get up top on a server list sorted by playercount...8 is a nice number. But make no mistake...it WILL pull people in. The question, however, is do we want to PULL people in? Of course! We need targets!

I hear you tho, and appreciate your comments. Personally I have yet to play with the bots. I wonder how improved they are. I'm going to guess that I will NEVER play with them, unless I get up way early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guest Lazerus
Guests

from Laz.e.rus....

Ok..I see the bigger picture now... Id rather shoot some bots in mayhem while Im waiting for others instead of checking the server count everyround while Im in Recrud. From that angle, makes lotsa sense.

Btw, I think Pagan had one too many. Just another thought from the peanut gallery :)

Ok heres my general feed back after playing with bots for roughly 3 hours today:

People join the server as they see 8 players there. Then when they see a list of BOTS and one player, they leave straight away (which has already been established)

So here are a list of my suggestions that, if practical, could encourage more people to join:

- Have 8 bots whilst one player is using the server, but as soon as two humans are present in the server, remove ALL the bots. This fausly attracts people to the server, and when they are there instead of being disappointed that they only have one opponent, a little fun could be created with one on one knife fights. Eventually more people will join and things will kick off.

-Advertise the server as a 24/7 server. At the moment it is more or less only being used when for small periods of time. Putting 24/7 in part of the server name could attract more people and keep things ticking over

-Promoting the 24/7 theme:

-Find other gaming communities, similar to this in other parts of the world, for examle servers in the UK and Australlia. These servers may also be facing similar problems where there servers are packed at peak times but empty at others. If this server and the other server could hook up and promote each others IP addresses, then maybe people will join each others servers when their normal server is busy, but due to the time differences the other server will not be busy.

-We need to find a wider range of users. Most people using the server are from america. Encouraging people from other countries to stay and bring their friends along will allow these people to play during their suitable time and if they stay for long enough it will keep the server ticking other till the american dudes arrive

Sorry if this post is hard to keep up with as its a bit complicated but hopefully my suggestions will help, and il try and promote this server to foriegn users

thanks bb

• 3 months later...

wow what happened to this? i play during the day all by my self all the time...kickin it with bots would be nice but not when there is more than one person in the server...my 2 cents (they're Canadian cents too)

I commute to work, so on the weekends I find myself up pretty early. I have to wait for people to get up and running before I can play! I think this is a great idea!

I don't recall ever seeing our servers up with bots in them at 7:00am I'd like to try it though. Mo where are you digging up all these old threads from? :ph34r: