6800gt help

SemperFi

hi everyone its been a long time since i posted on the forums. anyways, i just bought a new EVGA 6800gt card and i feel like im not getting the full power of the card or something. when i play source i usually get anywhere from 40-120 but its mainly about 60 constant which dissappoints me along with skipping when in big open areas (long halls, long a at dust2 etc.)

my 3dmark03 score also really disappointed me (9805)

my system:

Athlon XP 2200+

1gig kingston

EVGA 6800gt

im currently using EVGA's 71.25 drivers and have 1 gig o' ram

someone at my lan center told me it could be the fact that i have an older processor (Athlon Xp 2200+) and that i should upgrade. im mainly just trying to build my comp up so it will play source flawlessly and not spend too much money (pci express, etc)

if anyone has any ideas please post because i will try almost anything :)

ty

Edited by SemperFi

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

What card did you have before? Did you do a fresh install of the new drivers after REMOVING the old ones? Do you have Vsync turned on or any other Image enhancing feature?

What card did you have before?  Did you do a fresh install of the new drivers after REMOVING the old ones?  Do you have Vsync turned on or any other Image enhancing feature?

i have no clue what i should do w/ any of the features besides vsync (antialiasing, etc) i think its just on application controlled, vsync is turned off. im thinking about just totally reformating my comp i have had it for about a year and havent done one

Hey, I have the exact same card and some of the problems you have. I've been able to get things to work better by doing the following:

1) Max out the antialiasing in the nVidia options (I know it sounds counter intuitive, but trust me it will give you an fps boost)

2) Set the HL2/CS:S video options shader to low. I don't notice much of a difference in quality and my video runs so much better. It seems that eVGA cards have a tough time with this, or at least our model does. You should also a notice a significant improvement on de_prodigy in the CT_spawn with that flashing/sparking light.

The first options seems to work on a number of newer cards, I'm not exactly sure why it works, but it does.

Also as Zerodamage said, make sure vSync is completely off. nVidia has the annoying habbit of always turning this back on whever you update your drivers.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

You did not answer all of my questiosn. Is this a fresh install of windows with the new card and drivers or did you just remove the old and install the new drivers?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

The 6800gt is actually (or was rather) the best card for the price range when it came to performance. That has now chanted however with the X800XL card which is faster and is MSRP 100 dollars cheaper than the 6800gt. The only thing that the 6800Gt is really better at is Doom3.

i just reformatted fresh brand spankin new install of windows pro (friend hooked me up w/ that ) :) and im using the 77.25 EVGA drivers seems a slight bit better but still not what i expected im guessing the only thing it could be is my processor

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Use Nvidia's latest drivers from their website instead of the evga drivers. Also consider Driverheaven.net 's new custom Nvidia drivers. have never used them but they are supposedly pretty good.

semper it's def the cpu,

I own the 5900xt and i had a 2.4 p4 and it did like 80 fps

then I went to a 3.0 with 1 gig and the same card went to like 210

source has brought it back down to about 40-60 fps so it's barely playable but the biggest diff I found was the cpu.

go with either a fat p4 or a a64 so you get all the power.

Aug

Its agp, did you provide the extra power via the plug on the video card, IF you do not you end up with crap preformance. I bet thats your problem, your processor is not the issue.

• 2 weeks later...