Questions on Religion..

Guest Orbital

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Just, reading the latest few posts, I came across a comment, that Playaa answered, just, I'd like more clarifcation on it, when the poster said, "We are all God Fearing Men." I got kind of bewildered by that.

In Christianity you fear your maker? [Or, to any other religion it may apply to.]

Where I come from, we are taught to treat the entire world as a single entitiy, everything is everything. [Do not try and bring the arguments of a bad person, etc.] I mean, on the molecular level, everything is the same. We are not afraid of our maker, for "it is us."

I asked my friend this, and he has read the bible three times, so I trust him in his judgement on this particular matter, and he told me, "You are told that you are nothing without your god. You should fear him and be afraid of his might."

That's a direct quote, he is a bit anti-Christian, not in the sense that he is atheist, just in some of the other aspects of it, I am not condemning his point of view, or advocating it, just I like to hear other's opinions on the matter, as the reason I am posting this forum. So, could someone step up to the plate?

[ :P Who am I kidding, I know Playaa, will respond the second he sees the post. Got to love a man of principle.]

DISCLAIMER: Do not make this into a slander contest. If you have an opinion, say is RESPECTFULLY, I do not care how knowledgeable you think you are, if you are not going to have respect for EVERYONE in this forum, do not post in this thread.

/End

Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guests

I wondered the same thing when I read that post. I am not a Christian either - I abandoned that "belief" about two years ago (When I put belief in quotations I didn't mean to be sarcastic. I was basically told what to believe as a child and I was arrogant. Now I have decided which religion I want for myself). However, being a former Christian, I may be able to make a small comment. It is similar to that of your friend's - Christians are taught that they are different than God. He is worshipped because he is all-powerful and the creator of everything. Christians are not directly told to fear God, but everyone understands the power he holds and are, more often than not, afraid of him.

hehe....yeah I did jump on reading the new topic but wasn't planning on answering until you had to go and mention me directly....

:D

basically the answer is pretty simple on this one

when we say "fear God" we don't exactly mean "be afraid that he's gonna fry you if you do something wrong"

Fear in the sense we use it in that statement almost flat out means "respect God".....it's just that when someone says "fear God" it's a statement that's been used for so long that the origional words no longer fit the origional meaning.....kinda like discussions I've had before with ppl in Wonderland....society changes the meaning of words which outdates old statements.... the word f a g origionally meant a bundle of stickes used to light a fire and the word g a y origionally meant happy.....but society no longer sees them as these things.....

so yeah..."fear God" means "respect God"

and Orbitz....I'd like to thank you for always being willing to learn and willing to teach at the same time...you have the attitude we all need in this forum

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

No matter how old I get, no matter how lame my body will turn, I'll still be curious about the world I live in. It's my pleasure to ask questions, for, as long as I can get an answer, I'll keep asking them. I'm just glad some people will stand for what they believe in.

Back, to my question:

In regards tow hat you say, I get it, respect. Makes sense, but to me, sometimes I get the notion that when Christians think about Heaven/Hell, they fear hell, I mean, any person would fear suffering for eons and eons, but, doesn't that mean you fear God's wrath? That's my question? I mean, we all must act ourselves, but sometimes, I get the feeling that in some religions people are told to do something, in fear of getting slapped by a galactic wooden paddle. What do you make of this?

There is that aspect. Fear of Hell is a strong thing. Before I was saved (became a Christian) I was afraid of going to Hell. Its a strong subject and hard to swallow if your not a believer.

But Playaa is right. Its resect in the sense that we honor God and his commands to please Him. But I do not have to fear God or just follow His commands becuase Im afraid of being bonked on the head. God is Love. I know he loves me and has my best interest at heart. I am very secure in that. God's love is so great that it overcomes my lack of love. But His love will not let me just do my own thing but He will correct me if Im heading toward a disaster. That sometimes takes the form of punishment but its only to "yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness".

Again its clear in my own head but I have difficulty making it clear in a post.

yeah....we americans are some wacked out ppl

we are also VERY selfish and self involved....

anyone remember what happened in Rwanda in 1994? (I just learned myself recently what really happened)

there was this civil war(though it was more of just one strong group couldn't stand another weaker group) and over a period of 8 weeks the stronger group systematically slaughtered (even using machette's to literally chop women and children to pieces) 800,000 of the weaker ones....

that's 9/11 3 times a day for 8 weeks straight.....and we call our tragedy the greatest in history....

:(

I am Christian. I love my religion because it does not control me. I admit there are rules i most follow but it does not control my whole life. I look around the world and i see religions such as Islam where there whole life revolves around Allah. They have the strictest rules for life and when i look at that im happy that I'm Christian because my religion is good for me and i use it to help others.

The bible says to do onto others as others would do onto you. We've all heard this quote and we use it. An example If you anger a community member they will most likely return that anger to u. But if you're nice to them they will be nice to you.

I know this was kinda off the topic but i just felt like writing.

Regarding to fearing god. We are not taught to fear him. Instead we embrace him through Jesus' teachings and everday life. If you help someone out you get closer to god and although we know he is all powerful we do not have to fear him because he loves every single one of his creations. As long as we follow the teachings of the bible and be good people fear is not a factor.

Guest Boy Sherman
Guest Boy Sherman
Guest Boy Sherman
Guests

I am a J.ew, i love my religion, and no its not about Hannukah, i dont even like Hannukah but for that fact that i get time off from school sometimes (when winter break runs into it) and Jediusm is all about coming together, being the chosen ones(DONT TAKE THAT AS ANYTHING)(it is just that we are supposovily the chosen people by g0d) nothing in my religion controls me but for the fact that i go to temple for holidays and the fact is that (im not sure which one it is) we are only .9% or 9% of the world and thats the weird part.. we were 1 of the first religions (Islam was first) and we had no home, no nation, and half of us didnt even believe we were chosen... the only bad part is the comments: You J.e.w!!! or the penny crap.. OH ITS A JE.W!!! HERES A PENNY.. NOW PICK IT UP! also the holocaust destroyed alot of us.. brought us apart.. but. now we are 1.. and will stay .1.....the movies like: "School Ties" is a great example of what we have to go through and how it is for us... we have to hide our selfs from the world just to survive.. the world treated us like scum.. like (no offense to anyone who is black) we were black in the 40's to 70's.. I think my religion has come along way and we still are losing more and more each day.. but .. we also gain more each day.. the fact is we came long way, we strive to survive, we together.. and will never part.. and i am proud to be a Jew!

Edit- P.s. i dont care about the holidays, the torah or the traditions.. i care for my community and i what we do, not what we look like..

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

.. I am not even sure if Boy Sherman's post is relavant to the post, but alright.

You can't judge atrocities, I'm sorry. That's disguisting if one race says we have a worse incident then someone else's. You can't judge human life or the loss there of. I think.?

• 2 weeks later...