wxp upgrade from w98

Ok,

I'm doing a service this weekend on 2 pc's at this lady's house. One pc is a business machine for her job out of her home. The other is just a pc for the family to use.

I've got the xp upgrade cd's with codes

what should I expect?

Will I need to re-install mb drivers such as chipset? audio? apg driver?

networking? I imagince xp handles most of these but the chipset makes me wonder?

what do you do with a pc if you don't have the chipset drivers for the pc.

also will there be any errors or will it be a flawless upgrade?

Has anyone ever done a upgrade like this. I usually install a

new os.

If anyone has any expeirence it would be appreciated.

Auggybendoggy

Prior to doing the install find out what hardware is on the PC and download the XP drivers to a folder. You will prolly notice video, sound and printers are most of the problem but make sure to get the modem or LAN drivers (depending on how they have internet) so if you do need to DL something you have the ability to connect to the net. It may go without a hitch but I always prefer safe to sorry.

Usually the biggest issue I have had with the upgrade is if I fail to aquire drivers prior to the install but XP is pretty good with chipsets and video.

I agree with Preacher - XP is good for video and sound drivers, but try to get the drivers before you upgrade just in case.

I also try to do a clean install every time. Work with a clean slate...

Definitely get the drivers beforehand (If they're a manufacturer's computer, like Dell, you're golden) and if possible back up the data first. At least the really important data. Just in case. Like others here, I've never had a problem upgrading (it's more an issue of fragmentation and outdated system resources) but it's not the 99 times it goes flawlessly but the 1 time it doesn't.

Auggy, you should be prompted when you pop in the CD to run a Compatibility test. I highly suggest you do this. This should warn you of possible compatibility issues with hardware and currently installed software.

Dweez,

I will. How long will it take for the test to complete?

You guys are better tech support than alot of co.'s I've dealt with : )

The lady had here brother build the pc so its a generic case with a mainboard box (no make). I saw the MB CD and its a 400 fbs p4 so I imagine the cd has xp drivers on it to get it going at least.

Should I run the chipset drivers off the CD when XP finishes the upgrade? How bout the other drivers? I realize I can get em off the net but I don't have the MB make or model to d/l them. So I'll just use the CD for now. I only have about 1 1/2 hrs to do the upgrade so I'ts not like I have 2-3 hrs to work.

Thanks,

Auggy

you can do a search by the chip number on the mainboard at www.drivers.com if you get stuck, but more than likely you won't need to install anything for the motherboard. also a little program called wcpu330.exe is a free download at http://www.uni-weimar.de/~richte10/hardware_eng.html

and it tells you all the info about the cpu, motherboard and memory.

good luck bro

Auggy, the test could take about 10-15 mins or so (IIRC). If you could, I would schedule a time to go just to do the test so you have time to go over the results and look for solutions for any conflicts.

ok guys,

I did as dweez said and I got some incompatiabilties but none that concerned me.

That is until the upgrade was complete : )

yep you guessed it PROBLEMS!!!!

the secondary pc went pretty well except I could not use the dynamic update so I had to skip that. I figured it was not too critical and that any updates for the old 98se os would already be in the xpsp2 upgrade cd.

The primary pc though, has about 3 known probs.

1) when the system boots I get a winnt32 error; I simply click ok and the pc continues to desktop to run.

2) NIS 2005 is block ALL applications to access internet and when I go to configure NIS I get a error. However the configuration panel does come up but I was pressed for time that I did not get a chance to scan applications. I did however set NIS for auto permission.

3) Adobe acrobat 5.0 will not install. It gives a error during install and the only option is to abort the installation. I will try to install 6.0 off the internet when I go back.

as for not thats all I know of. Oh upon installation of NIS 2005 I got a error for antivirus installation however when it continued to install the firewall It rebooted only to find it did install the av. I have not commited a v-scan yet so hopefully it wont crash when I do that.

as for now I set up the XP firewall for a few days untill I can resolve the NIS problem. But it's the winnt32 stuff that has me the most worried.

I had to leave and I felt terrible that her system was not 100% :(

if anyone knows what this winnt stuff is please advise.

Sincerely,

Auggybenxpupgraddingdoggy