Overclocking Athlon64 help

Clueless

Okay, I know some guys in here do this, my question is, can someone tell me or direct me to, information that is complete and easy to understand, like, not all "techie". Zerodamage gave me some good info before, but I could'nt quite grasp the technical explanations. So maybe just a translator?

I also would like to know what limits are safe without going gung-ho on cooling, which, fan suggestions are welcome too :D

Thanks guys. :peace:

Ahtlon64 3000+

MSI K8N Neo Platinum

512 MB ram ( I know, gonna get another stick)

ATI X800XT Platinum

Antec case with 2 fans front and 2 in the rear

Also, Vid cards overclockable? Is it worth it?

www.yoshi.us/forums Youshi, formerly of The Screensavers (R.I.P.) of the murdered (by comcast) TechTV, runs that forum. Lots of knowlegeable folks there, and it should look familiar. (similar board proggy, might be same)

*Disclamer: Overclocking WILL viod your cpu warranty, so if this is an issue, you might not want to do it. Also it IS possible, although unlikely with todays hi-tech boards aimed at overclockers, to burn up your cpu.*

Now, that you've decided to overclock, read on. :biggrin:

With that case, you should have enough ambiant cooling, the next question, is what heatsink/fan combo do you have? If you're running the stock cooler on your cpu, you'll want to upgrade that before oc'ing. You don't necesarily need to go to the extreme that Zero and I went with the Thermalright xp120 (like $80 for the heatsink only if memory serves me right), but there are plenty of nice neatsinks/fan combos.

Thermaltake makes an excellent cooler, the Silent Boost for both Socket A, and all 3 A64 sockets.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp...N82E16835106036

Fan IS silent. You will not hear it, especially with 4 case fans, plus psu fan. I have the Socket A version on my wifes OC'd xp2800+, but I switched the can out for one of my case fans to improve airflow to the cpu. SB's aren't meant for OC'ing, but that heatsink will dissapate a lot of heat, with the right fan on top.

The HSF that Lunk installed: http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=17645 is also very nice. Many people have had good luck with Zalman's, although they can be a bit heavy, if you're carefull when moving your system you should be ok.

Anyway, the actual overslocking will normally be done in BIOS. Start in small increments, raising the cpu frequency, a couple Mhz at a time, re-boot, see how it runs. If it fails to boot, hit reset, re-enter the BIOS, and dial the OC back down a few notches. Be careful, have fun, and let us know how it's going.

Let me know if you need any other info, and I'll do my best to help. :)

Wolfsblood

sorry to change to topic a bit. I was a HUGE fan of ScreenSavers. Leo, Patrick..etc. Until they brought these new kids on...now it is dead. Just like you posted R.I.P.

terrible.

But Yoshi is the man when it comes to computer mods.

Yup, yup, yup.

Between The ScreenSavers, and Yoshi's forum, that's where I got the knowlege, and the destire to build my own pc. I spec'd that last one out using what I'd learned from them, as well as talking to friends, so when it came to this comp I knew I was going to build it myself. Spent a bunch, but not nearly as much as if I'd bought it someplace else, or had an online computer shop build it for me.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Any insight you could provide on this topic would be great :blush:

With your card, I would discourage OC'ing. You already have the fastest card there is.

But if you really want to, check out ATI Tool. I use it always. gives temps, everything.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ATITool_0.0.23.exe

You want to make sure your temp never goes over 90. 100 is the absolute highest threshold but my personal is 85-90 and to be honest, with a great OC to 500/500 and the fan speeds set to 75% all the time except when it goes over 55 deg, then it clocks at 100% speed. My temps never go over 55-60.

did you know they are thinking about doing a weekly webcast?

Hadn't heard that, that would rock. Where'd you hear that? I'd like to check that out, and see if I can catch it it does happen. From what I understand, that's how it started in the first place.

Zerodamage, do you have the x800? I have a Leadtek 6600gt extreme, which comes factory oc'd to 550/560. I got that based on the bench's I'd read, and becauseI wanted to use the SLI mobo's and nVidia chipsets were the (and I think are still) only cards that can be linked.

Just curious to know what your results are with that card; fps, what eye candy you have turned on in cs:s.

Edited by Wolfsblood

Overclocking my video card gives me the biggest performance gain

surely not in source though. for source, overclocking the cpu would bring the biggest gains.

clueless, you're going to want to get the stepping code off your cpu at some point cause you'll be asked that by most ppl if you post on any overclocking forums. it's right on your cpu. just write down all the number/letter combinations in order. also, how's your power supply? post amps on 12v, 3.3v, and 5v. it should say on a label on the side.

check on the stickies in the link below. there's all kinds of tutorials and help there. a64 overclocking is tricky cause you have to worry about ram dividers and hypertransport multipliers. btw, my nick there is cujo.

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

i have the same motherboard as you so if you need any help once you've read up a bit then just pm me. currently i'm at stock speeds on my a64 3400+ dtr(desktop replacement) as it has no ihs(integrated heat spreader, the big silver thing on your cpu) so my xp90 isn't sitting right on it. i have two pieces of cardboard between the ram and the cpu just to make it sit level.

also note, you should be fine overclocking on stock cooling. at least at first to test out your chip. if you think you're chip is worthy of better cooling then shell out the extra cash.

ps. i noticed you only have 512mb of ram. ram is REALLY CHEAP right now so you might want to spend 50 bucks on another 512mb. try to match what you already have(assuming you have one stick of 512mb). i noticed performance gains when i switched to a gig of ram. the game "feels" smoother.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that, I was the same way the first time i tried it. I pushed the proc too far in the bios, got a black screen at boot. I restarted the system, went back into the bios, decreased the fsb, and went from there. But that first black screen scared the crap outta me. No harm was done, and it's been humming along nicely with a hefty oc. :)