2800+ Semptron

NOFX

800mhz HT yes. lol, why does everyone call them semptrons?

anyway all socket 754 have 800mhz HT. it's not actually fsb but stores call it that rather than having a long drawn out explanation of what HT actually is.

(edited)

They dont have much L2 cache on them.. Thats the only reason i wouldnt get one, my mobo supports them though..

Oh and wouldnt a +3200 be a better one?

Edited by Batman

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

You know, I do not think this is a 800 fsb CPU. I think this is confusion between the FSB and the different HT or Hyper Transport. Let me check on this. Sounds a bit off to me.

800 fsb CPU's would cost more and it would be big news right now also. So this makes little sense.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

(edited)
You know, I do not think this is a 800 fsb CPU.  I think this is confusion between the FSB and the different HT or Hyper Transport.  Let me check on this.  Sounds a bit off to me.

800 fsb CPU's would cost more and it would be big news right now also.  So this makes little sense.

did i not say that?

HT is not HTT(hyperthreading). HT is the bus that a64 uses to communicate with the ram. in this case it runs at 800mhz or 1600mhz full duplex. socket 939 cpus run on a 1ghz hyper transport bus. you can technically set them to 600mhz though and notice very little, if any, drop in performance.

hyperthreading is a performance feature on all 800mhz or 1066mhz fsb intel cpus that makes an operating system think that there are actually 2 cpus in the system. theoretically this allows the computer to run smoother when more than 1 process is asking for cpu time.

Edited by *|CsLs|*Cujo

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

After some research, I've found out the information as to what is going on... more or less.

Athlon 64's do not go by the term fsb or front side bus. The FSB technology is not being used by AMD but they are using HyperTransport instead. Trust me, it is quite confusing.

**thinks on how to explain this....**

That 800 fsb on newegg is really a 400 fsb CPU. The confusion comes from the HT (short for HTT) or HyperTransport which is the speed of the system bus. HT is a new type of system bus that interconnects everything together at DDR or double data rate speeds. Basically what the new Sempron processor does is supports the 800 HT speeds of the system bus which can run currently as high as 1000 or x5. The HT speed is determined by the HT speed in your bios such as 200 (which can also be the fsb). The LDT is the multiplier of the HTT. So if you are overclocking and set your HT to 210, you will want your LDT set to 4x because your HTT will ultimately be 840. Anything over 1000 is unstable so you only use the 5x LDT for 1000 (5 x 200fsb) if you are running at stock.

There are no 800 fsb cpu's for AMD. Newegg has that wrong. They are doubling the 400 and using the 800HT.

Found a good explanation of HT here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=206&p=1

HT is basically the huge bus that everything else runs on. Data from that 400 fsb is being set across the system to whatever device needs it at 800mhz speed, but it doesn't make the cpu run at 800 mhz.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

But the most important part to remember of all of it, is that AMD's "HT" (transport) and Intel's "HT" (threading) mean two entirely different things.

As is mentioned, AMD's HyperTransport has been around since the good ol' days of the original nForce motherboards, and is a tech AMD uses instead of a traditional NorthBridge, to communicate with RAM.

Also mentioned, Intel's HyperThreading convinces Windows that your PC has two CPUs, so the line of programs waiting to be processed gets cut in half. So playing CS while running WinAmp won't have as much of a hit.

Both of these technologies will come to a head within the next two quarters though, when AMD releases their consumer level, dual-core processors. Two cores means that there really are two CPUs, and all that having two processors entails. They will also still use their HyperTransport to communicate between RAM and CPUs. These new AMD dual-core processors should be able to run on any Socket 939 motherboard, current or forthcoming, though some of the older ones will need BIOS updates.

Oh, and the value of Intel's "HyperThreading" in practical terms is minimal, unless you're doing CPU intensive multi-tasking, a la WinAmp and CS:S. It's mainly a cashgrab, seeing as the only singular programs it will speed up are Adobe products, and even then, with HyperThreading, RDRAM and SS2 and SS3 Instruction Sets, Intel just barely pulls ahead in Premiere/Photoshop/After Effects benchmarks.

Its effect on games is non-existant, and in some cases, can either hinder the FPS (because the processor will start giving resources away to background tasks), or break support for the game (Jedi Knight II, amongst others, needed a patch before it'd work with HT)

Looks like the chip has 512k of L2 cache on it but half is locked.. And it looks like the chip really is a AMD-64 but runnin at 32bit... Weird.. I was thinking about trying one in my Nforce mobo but i have socket A, and although they do offer a sempron in socket A form the one i would want is socket 764...

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Looks like the chip has 512k of L2 cache on it but half is locked..  And it looks like the chip really is a AMD-64 but runnin at 32bit...  Weird..  I was thinking about trying one in my Nforce mobo but i have socket A, and although they do offer a sempron in socket A form the one i would want is socket 764...

I honestly would not get a 754 pin board and cpu now. You can get a 939 pin cpu and board for about the same cost and have better upgradability later.

Both of these technologies will come to a head within the next two quarters though, when AMD releases their consumer level, dual-core processors.  Two cores means that there really are two CPUs, and all that having two processors entails.  They will also still use their HyperTransport to communicate between RAM and CPUs.  These new AMD dual-core processors should be able to run on any Socket 939 motherboard, current or forthcoming, though some of the older ones will need BIOS updates.

If this is correct. I look forward to these new cpu's. I have a 939 system now. Would like to try one of these.

Lunk: I give you Tom's Hardware for your drooling pleasure.

I enjoyed the read, but if you really want to cut to the chase, the first half-dozen paragraphs, the benchmarks and the conclusion are all you really need for a good mouth-waterin'.

Does it promise to bring huge boosts to your scouting game? Well, no, but it'll mean that you can run other stuff in the background without giving up any precious fps. And it means that I'll actually be able to use my PC while also compiling CS maps / rendering video, with nary a hit. Perhaps, I should do both the playing and the compositing at the same time.

Mmmmm, good stuff. It says May 31 - I say give it another two or three months before it's popular enough to actually appear in a store near you, in any quantity greater than 1.