choke

Cujo

(edited)

what is it? why is it so bad? is it worse on gc servers or is it bad on other servers too?

i know it's never an issue on our private server. it was so bad on stock just now i had to stop playing. nothing registers, everything feels laggy, and i just got sick of it and left. i don't remeber it being that bad when server was only 24 players... but maybe it was and i just didn't notice.

Edited by *|CsLs|*Cujo

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Choke is the packet loss on the upload to the server. Packetloss or "Loss" is packet loss on the download to your client from the server.

fatty,

that's awesome. i was against 28 from the beginning.

zd,

so the server basically can't receive my packets fast enough then. i ping 30-50 in netgraph and i have 60k/sec upload limit. shouldn't i get 0 choke?

m2,

i get it every round. varies from 0 up to about 50. i've got all my connection settings tweaked as well.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
fatty,

that's awesome.  i was against 28 from the beginning.

zd,

so the server basically can't receive my packets fast enough then.  i ping 30-50 in netgraph and i have 60k/sec upload limit.  shouldn't i get 0 choke?

m2,

i get it every round.  varies from 0 up to about 50.  i've got all my connection settings tweaked as well.

It depends. It can be the server and it can also be more than your isp can handle on the upload. Could even be a router between you and there. The game uses UDP packets and there is no error control on these packets. They are sent as is.

But.....and there's a big BUT...people say choke, I check mine, I have 0 or sometimes 1 or 2.....so it's not the server. The server doesn't dish out choke to people differently. That's my point.

And, to be honest, I'm nearing the point where the word "register" is going to make the swear filters. It's an online game.....

yea. i changed my cmdrate and updaterate to 25 and 30 respectively and my choke has definately dropped. my registration seems exactly the same though.

i definately noticed a lag jump when the server went to 28 players from 24. i just played on csls private server for a bit which is the same host and location as stock midwest afaik and i get 30 ping and 0 choke. so it's either the server can't handle the number of players or my connection can't handle the number of players. though my dl speed is always much higher than upload on netgraph and nowhere close to my max bandwidth.

Cujo, It's a combination of a LOT of things....I don't care what you play on, a game with 24 people will never do as well as a private server with 12 people with NO admin running on it, running competely stock.

This is not a hard concept.

i get that. i just wish it could.

btw, as per FAQ in steam forums i now use a cmdrate of 100 and updaterate of 30. seems to be the best solution.

lovin the 24 player server again though. definately noticably smoother than 28 player.