MS2 - de_NewportBeach

Fatty

This is an incredibly fun map, IMO. We had a blast with this on custom map night a month or so ago.

Very fast, lots of action. But very few bomb plants. Kind of turns into a straight up deathmatch, but it is a nice change of speed after a map like piranesi, cobble, or italy.

I like it. (I know, I haven't played it in Recrud, but I still wanted to talk about it!) :thumbsup:

For some reason I thought that it would be a one-sided map, but when I played it was pretty even. I only had time to play as a ct, but basic layout of the map is:

T's [House][Pool] CT's, so the neat thing about that is all of the teams are able to meet at the same time in the house, a very chaotic and fun map.

PS. I love when you kill someone in the pool, their lifeless body floats to the top of the water :D

This map has a different feeling that many other maps I have played. Perhaps it has to do with the setting or the time of day...that sun is really bright! So, I ejoyed playing this map thoroughly. :thumbsup:

(edited)

I like the map, but there is a big prob with the lighting. It has been discussed when it was in Mayhem b4

For many people (including myself), the map is split in several places by a bright whits light like a star trek force field. ALthough youre standing in the middle of the room, you cant see anything past it. This occurs in the main room with the fireplace, near the front door, in the middle of the hall, and outside.

Basically it is like the map is split in half and you cant see ANYthing past it. However, those without this lighting prob can see you just fine ( not fun)

We were never able to determine if it was a specific game setting, certain type of vid card, or what, but many people suffer from it and it is totally unplayable.

IMO, its gotta go. We cant have a general rotation map that many people cant even see on.

edit: Ive played this map a Bunch of times here, but I dont know how many were in mayhem and how many were in stock. But since Ive played it like 7-10 times total and its such a huge prob, I knew I better put my vote in.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

agreed. I noticed even with the nightvision, it doesnt even make things green like it should rather a orange color (when outdoors due to sun light), so there are almost useless in that sence.

If the lighting was fixed this would be a killer map. All this map needs is some cool candles or tiki tourches :)

Maybe you guys should try some of M2's tweaks he posted. Here

I've made some of the changes he suggested. And I've not had any of the problems that you guys speak of. Nightvision is green for me. The only glare I get is when you look out one of the windows facing the pool and the sunset. And it's a tad blinding but didn't your momma ever teach you not to look directly into the sun. :P

I like this map. Much better than 3rd street & Courthouse.

No, its not a tweak thing. Its some sort of problem with certain machines or cards or software.

And Fatty, there were several admins there the night we all tried to figure out the problem. Many people were asked if they had it/what their machine/card was etc. So Im actually surprised it even made it to MS since so many knew about the problems with that map.

There were several on jsut at that one time that had this problem.

GC Founder

I pick the maps w/o even playing them (sometimes I take a walkthrough). I go mainly off some what I read when I search for maps....so that explains why it's on MS.

Ok, heres a weird new bit of info for you techies!!

I jsut started a server so I could grab those screenshots for Fatty.

First place I went was living room ....No problems! It was the first time I ever saw te whole living room!

I ran around and same all over. When I ran it as a map on my own machine, I didnt get ANY of the lighting probs. But on mayhem/rec I cant see anything.

Weird! Just another little bit of info for those that know what to do with that stuff.

(edited)

de_newportbeach0011.jpg

de_newportbeach0014.jpg

de_newportbeach0017.jpg

de_newportbeach0018.jpg

de_newportbeach0019.jpg

de_newportbeach0024.jpg

de_newportbeach0025.jpg

de_newportbeach0028.jpg

you get the idea. This is what happens when I play it on the gc server. Several others had the same problem. We tried messing with light sttings and stuff. Some were of the opinion that it happens to anyone with a GF4 series or older..I dont rememebr myself.

Oddly, as I posted above , this didnt happen when I started my own server jsut to grab the screenies. Is it possible that there is a corruption in the map on the server?

Edited by Laz.e.rus

We had complaints of that when we ran this map in scopeless, the only constant was the use of nVidia Ti series cards. I dont know why, or how to fix it, but everyone that had the problem, had a Ti card.

Hmmm, this isn't good. Now that we've got a screen of this glitch, we might need to reconsider. It wouldn't be that good if there was a group of people playing that can't see while the others can :\

EDIT: For once an ATi 9600se comes in handy.

Edited by campkillyorself

On stock last night, the server went from near full to near empty on this map. Also, there were 2 (maybe 3?) complaints in text about the white light and whats wrong with the map, and a seperate complaint over voice. So, including myself for that one random sample that is at least 4, maybe 5 that had the prob that Mentioned it. Dunno if any jsut werent saying anything of course.

Thats what, 25% ish?