How to uninstal and reinstall windows?

jane

Help me please!

My registry has been screwed up somehow. I dont know why, or when, but I cant dl and new Windows updates, or directx updates( 9.0c to run bf2 demo) or do anyhting like even install Half-Life....

Im confused. I have tryed everything my other comp guys can suggest and havent got anything yet. I have my original Windows disks. Should I load them up and try wiping my hd? If I do this, will I need more than those Windows cds to start over? :bang::bang::bang:

Sorry guys. I'm such a nub, always coming in here and asking dumb questions. But i need help. Wanna play cs, but I cant!

clean installs of windows are a good idea--when you (or someone standing over your shoulder) knows what's going on. it can be overwhelming to someone unfamiliar with the process, and may even make the problem worse than it already is.

do you know anyone in your school/church/golf league/etc that can be there to guide you along? the forums are great to get you going, but when you run into a problem, how are you going to come see us for help in your time of need?

maybe you could swing into your local mom and pop computer store (or college campus tech desk) and ask them to cut you a deal to--you do all the work (there's about 80 yes/no prompts that bore those geeks), and they could be there to assist.

here is what you do:

1. Save everything to CDs if you can or if you don't need anything saved begin at step 2

2. boot to cd

3 choose to install windows 2000/XP

4. Choose F8

5. delete partition with windows on it

6. create new partition using max disk space

7. Choose the new partition to install windows

8. format in ntfs

9. should walk you through it automatically

10. enter CD Key

11. Install drivers for video card, sound, mainboard, then update windows

12. Enjoy hours and hours of watching me frag Norgaurd on the scopeless server ;)

With windows 98/ME you need to put the boot floppy into the drive and boot to it.

When you get the command prompt type: format c:

When format is done type d:/ (or letter of drive with the windows CD in it)

then type setup

It should be automated from here and you can look to steps 10-12 above for finishing up.

here is what you do:

1. Save everything to CDs if you can or if you don't need anything saved begin at step 2

2. boot to cd

3 choose to install windows 2000/XP

4. Choose F8

5. delete partition with windows on it

6. create new partition using max disk space

7. Choose the new partition to install windows

8. format in ntfs

9. should walk you through it automatically

10. enter CD Key

11. Install drivers for video card, sound, mainboard, then update windows

12. Enjoy hours and hours of watching me frag Norgaurd on the scopeless server ;)

With windows 98/ME you need to put the boot floppy into the drive and boot to it.

When you get the command prompt type: format c:

When format is done type d:/ (or letter of drive with the windows CD in it)

then type setup

It should be automated from here and you can look to steps 10-12 above for finishing up.

I would actually not format your entire drive as one big partition. IMO it makes a little more sense to format a partition for your documents and settings seperately. That way you can re-install the OS without blowing away your documents etc. Makes the whole re-install process a little less painful. On non windows boxes you can even leave your programs in a seperate partition so you don't have to re-install all your programs. However, with the registry that just doesn't work. *sigh*

Another thing to consider is one you have a base install with all of your apps and drivers etc. (basically, once you have your machine configured the way you like it) Take a ghost image of your drive (or use some bare metal backup software) so you can return to a decent baseline quickly.

- andrew

jane - keep in mind those instructions above (which are 100% accurate) don't include any sort of backup/data migration. everything on your drive will be erased like a chalkboard, so any overdue essays, legal mp3's, pictures, documents, etc. will be gone FOREVER. if you're ok with this, follow preacher's instruction (be sure to dot you i's and cross your t's).

if you have anything on your drive you'd like to save, seek help.

(p.s., the partition war will be waged for years and years to come. IMHO, it's a bit too much info for this case. for the uber geeks, preference is preference)

john out.

if your computer is that worse now, its pretty much usless anyway....I think they are trying to scare you into making you think it is harder than it really is :P....

Boot your computer from the CD....like when it says boot from CD, press any key

Read the blue screens.. follow the directions... and you want to delete the partition, create a new one and then do a quick format... After all that rocket science.. You then proceed to Hit Next, next, next, yes, next, next, OK...

and then your done with a fresh install...

all i want is on the halflife cds and the windows cds. everything else can go, as far as im concerned... it not like i can copy anyhting anyways....i dont have cdwriter or floppy even(yeah i got a nice fast machine, with no backup ability. smart, i know) so ill get back to you when its all over!