Nvidia Geforce 7800 Out Today 6/22/05

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Card looks awesome and I am most pleased with the Transparency AA that they have included. That is great.

The card is only in PCI-express and is very expensive starting at $600 USD

See a review here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451

You can buy it now at newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com as well as other places. I am on a wait and see approach to see what ATI has to offer. I've heard rumors it will blow away this card but you never know. I may buy Nvidia this time around.

Sounds like this one is going to be the slowest out of the new generation cards. Only 24 pipelines, while I heard the new Xbox card will have something around 48 pipes. But, still, very fast, faster than anything else. I'm definitely not buying it though... :(

I met with one of the project managers from ATI this week. (customer) I tried to barter for a new vid card and she told me WAIT. Don't buy anything until September. ATI will be offering some new tech that will make anything out there today look like a Commodore 64.

I figure she is just a little bit proud of the new product but would/could not say anything more other than "worth the wait". I explained that I currenlty had the x800xt and she said that the new stuff will blow it away.

I like her, I will wait and see.

"Also worth noting is that while SLI helps out the 6800 series quite a bit (provided you have a fast CPU and are running a high resolution), the 7800GTX is clearly running into CPU limitations. Our FX-55 can't push any of the cards past the 142 FPS mark regardless of resolution. "

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Hm, I think they state that you'd get about a 25percent increase in performance over the last model GPU.  Is 25% worth $600, for me, no...but for others who demand top notch graphics (and an empty wallet), maybe.

At low resolutions, yes. The cards have a huge difference when maxed out at like 1600 x 1200 with 4xAA and AF. If you look at the benchmarks in my link above, the 7800 beats out the 6800U in SLI mode in those tests where Pixel Processing is important, like HL2 and in games where Memory is important the SLI cards win.