Who can set up a tent in the dark?

Sir Shertown Pimp

If i ever don't have my trusy car headlight around I will try to use moonlight or just let my eyes adjust to night vision (eat lots of carrots lol). Setting up a tent in the dark is quite easy actually. The hardest part is making sure u dont put it on top of a rock/stump or something, so clear the ground thoroughly first. Also, be sure to have a picnic table or mat to set all of the smaller pieces, ie: hammer, pegs, and any ties you might need, this way you don't loose them when ur setting up. Always remember, the bottom pole always goes in first. Have a good time!

mHtt

aka Dopey'

when I was activing in BSA we went camping every month all over the place, the most fun were canoe trips. We weren't the typical scouts and we did A LOT of stuff we shouldnt of been doing, but it was extremely fun. I recommend to everyone take your kids/wives camping, you can learn so much just getting out in nature. Especially how to light all kinds of stuff on fire!

we tried to, but like with the canoe trip wed canoe to a new spot with our tents and set them up at night, was fun though.

I went all the way to eagle scout when I was 14, then I basically quit when I started high school, but the way eagle scout works is its the only way you can technically be a scout for life. Most everyone of my friends thought scouts were dorks and crap like that, but

we are a pretty diverse group, my two best friends for example, both in my patrol, one is going to the Air Force Academy and the other deals drugs :-P

Last time I had to put up a tent in the dark...I stayed dry that night. And yes, it was in the tent. I mean, who can say what's the right way to put up a tent, though, am I right? Huh?

Okay, so it wasn't pretty, but it was up and roomy enough to put in the people who needed to be in there.

I have set up tents in the dark many times. Usually, because it took us longer to get somewhere than we thought it would, and ended up setting up in the dark rather than sleep in the car.

I also help out with my nephew's scout troop, and we almost always set up in the dark on Friday nights. Just a fact of where we go, and what time the troop leaves the church. Headlamps make a great help. Also good for working on the insides of your computer, or whereever else you need light, and don't have a free hand to hold a flashlight. :)

Next time my computer needs a fix up, I'll remember to park the car in my bedroom so I can get enough light.... or I'll just turn the light on  o0o

lol, I have. well, not so good eyes. ;) The headlamp was definitely helpful when building my system. I was able to read the itty bitty wrtiting on the board with the help of the light. :)

Oh, and the "headlamps" I'm referring to, are not the ones on the car, but rather a lamp that you wear on your head, kinda like a minor's lamp. :P

Edited by Wolfsblood

knowing your gear is always your best idea! sit at home and put the tent up 5 or 6 times

pay attention to what your fingers are feeling ( does the poles go through sleves or does the tent clip to the poles ) also feel the type of material its made out of at these points close your eyes if it helps. count pole sections if poles are diffrent lengths keep you steaks in you pocket or somewhere you can find them.

i've had to set up my tent in the dark a lot when i forgot my headlamp on a smokey mountains trip

also it a good idea to know how to tie knots in the dark. figure 8, a figure 8 follow through, figure 8 on a bite, clove hitch, and half hitch are the most common i use. but it always helps to know a few more! this will help if you lose a steak and have to guy out to something!!

• 9 months later...
when I was activing in BSA we went camping every month all over the place, the most fun were canoe trips. We weren't the typical scouts and we did A LOT of stuff we shouldnt of been doing, but it was extremely fun. I recommend to everyone take your kids/wives camping, you can learn so much just getting out in nature. Especially how to light all kinds of stuff on fire!

I talked to some river guides on a trip i was on in mexico about their experience with boy scouts on the New River. They all said they would never let their kids be boy scouts because of all the stories of animal torture, blowing things up, or burning half a forest down they heard the kids bragging about.