AAC files, MP3 files

Shazz

Here is my problem. I have been using Itunes to download music. I don't download alot, just a couple of albums and a couple of songs.

ITunes uses a format called AAC. I cannot get this format to run on any player (that I have found) but a IPod. I don't own a IPod and I don't know if I would ever Fill up a Ipod.

Is there a way to Convert these protected AAC files to MP3's? Or is there another player that will play AAC files besides an IPod?

I am shopping for an Mp3 player and I have looked at the IPods. I would like something smaller.

Anyway. Is there an alternative program to use to download Mp3's or can ITunes download MP3's (I have tried to do it through Itunes, but can't get it to work).

Is there another player that plays AAC files besides IPod?

I have these AAC files on my computer...and that is the only place I can play them...is right here...BOOOOO

If you use ITunes...make sure you have an IPod or you are up the creek. At least this is my experience.

Hey Shazz.

I've worked with this same difficulty as well. I've used iTunes for some time now. I know there's a few *ahem* non-authorized programs out there to strip out the encoding. That's one option though I'm not sure it's worth it.

The aleternative I use is to simply use the iTunes to burn CD's and then rip the songs back to MP3 format usuing a cd playing program. It's annoying to have to do it but it works. You can probably use a CD_RW and just keep reusing it for this as well, but I haven't tried this.

I've always been annoyed by this limitation in iTunes but of course they use it as a way to prevent illegal sharing of the songs. Which I agree with. It still makes it more difficult for us though.

Guest Entaque
Guest Entaque
Guest Entaque
Guests

Go Here :D

You can convert music to any format, and to any quality you wish. Enjoy!

You'd be looking for this. It strips out the FairPlay DRM of the AAC files, and from there you can use any number of programs to play or burn the resulting files. I know foobar will play them for sure, and I have a Winamp plugin that does the same. I wouldn't doubt if there's an AAC/M4A DirectShow filter to let Windows Media and a whole host of other players to use the files too. Nero should also be able to burn them straight to CD (if not out of the box, then I guarantee there's a Nero plugin for it).

Oh... it's written in Java by the way; you'll need the Sun JRE if you don't already have it. :)

i use limewire to download music. also shazz, if i can make a suggestion..... i wouldnt get an ipod if i were you. way over priced and you can get a better one. i got a creative labs mp3 player and i have more then twice the memory as an ipod for less then it costs. creative labs has been around alot longer and they have way better warrantys. with the warranty i got one off of newegg.com and its a 40 gig player(not that i will ever fill it up, i just wont ever need a new one) for as cheap as a 5 gig ipod with no warranty. idk, thats my opinion. check it all out, dont buy it from best buy though, way too expensive.

(edited)

Ok...I have looked at these programs...and I am still lost. There are so many "codecs" do download and install. When it comes to this stuff...well...i am stupid.

Is there just one program, a "do it all, just one click" program to convert these AAC files I have on my computer to Mp3?

When I updated my Itunes just the other day..it goofed everything up. I burned one disk the other day and transfered it all in musicmatch then converted...it WORKED!! Now since the update...It WON"T work..GRRRRRR

I have alot of Itunes music now, and it looks like I am tossin my money in the wind.

Anyone?? Convert AAC to Mp3 files. And before someone say's go to google. I have been living on google to find a fix for this problem. I have also gone to cnet.com, hotfiles.com and many more. Only to find programs that leave "watermarks" on the converts.

Edited by §hažžž

(edited)

I know realoneplayer has a plug-in for aac because my cell phone software http://forms.real.com/real/realone/mobile_...#9001;=en&rppr= has an mp3 player that converts mp3s to aac and they can play on realplayer. I think realplayer also has a "burn to cd" function which would make them .wav files and just about every player can convert those to .mp3

Edited by Preacher

The only problem is...I can't get any program to recognize these AAC files so I can convert them. If I could get these AAC files to any other format I would. Itunes can convert files to AAC. My problem is, I want my AAC files to any other format but AAC. I don't have a Ipod. And from what I see. Only ipods and a couple of other players will play AAC.

I am beginning to hate AAC... <_<

Preach! I really appreciate the help...i am just not a big fan of realplayer.. :)

shazzzy

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm (Entague's recommendation) didn't work for you? it sounds like it goes from AAC -> MP3 (and vice versa). i'll run it through the stuttering.john Research and Development lab once i get home ;)

just curious, why use itunes if you don't own an ipod? i promise, your answer won't affect my high level of respect for you. i'm just afraid you're turning into one of those pastel wearing apple fans...

lol! I was looking for a spyware free (didn't mind paying for music) software and it might have already been on my computer...I can't remember why I started using it. I just like how easy Itunes is to browse music and purchase it.

I don't have a Ipod. And if I ever did buy a Ipod, it would probably be the U2 one. ewww pastels..lol.

I am shopping for a new Mp3 player also..so any hints or tips would be appreciated. I am using my PSP right now for Mp3's...kindof big for that. I would like a Mp3 player that I can exercise with.

I did look at that software john. the only thing that messed me up was all the extra downloads and such. If you can figure out how to use that program...I would love to learn from you. I searched all over thier website and read all that I could. I got nervous when I noticed all the plug in's and how it intergrates with Itunes...so I backed out of using it.

i really really really like the interface of the ipod/ipod mini (the shuffle doesn't really count). the shuffle seems expensive for the capacity, but sounds like it fits your wants better than the 20 or 40gb. if you want something smaller than that, get the creative nomad flash (muvo).

if you ever get those AAC files out (and i'll play with it when i get back), check out http://www.winamp.com. it's the only mp3 player i've ever liked--even after they became incorporated by AOL.

(edited)

ok...I have downloaded programs and this is the one I think is going to work. The Jhymn project!. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm will NOT work. As a matter a fact, they admitted on thier website that protected AAC files will not work with the program.

Also, with the new update of Itunes 4.9 (i believe) it stopped users of being able to burn a disc then changing the format of the music on the disk with a different program like musicmatch and the such. So if you use a older version of Itunes...DON"T UPDATE IT!! I updated..now I can't change to format of my songs.

I am at the moment working with Jhymn...I will let you know if I can change protected AAC files to Mp3's.

The big beef I have is...I paid for this music. I PAID for it. Why can't I use something I paid for in a way I want??

Edited by §hažžž

Random Noob...you suggested this Jhymn program. I know this program has to work..but I can't get it to convert files. I get all kinds of error messages. I don't know if it is because of the new Itunes update (that update blocked all kinds of stuff) or what it is..

I would really like some help on this issue if anyone has any. Or should I just count my losses on my AAC songs...or should I resort to buyin a Ipod..

i don't think buyin an ipod is a bad last resort.

i've used one snowboarding many many many times. they're durable, they're light, and they're well built. i've taken some gnarly tumbles with the one i used, and it kept going strong.

if the size is the issue and the mini isn't mini enuf, i give. if it's the pastel colors, just get comfortable saying things like "super" and "fabulous." it's not like wearing an mp3 player around your bicep while exercising isn't lame in it's own way already.

;)

this (outside of work) is the #1 thing i want to check into when i get back. i'm sure there are others in the same position that have figgered out clever ways to beat this little scheme. if not, well, this is yanking on my curious chord....

LOL I didn't mean that buying a Ipod was a Bad thing.. I just know there are alot of great mp3 players out there...kindof don't like the idea of being stuck with a certian format.

I have looked at the ipods...the U2 version has my eye.

One of the MAIN features i would like to have is the ability to hold files, pictures and the such. of course music. But I would like this to also be a mobil micro drive or a mobil hard drive so I can take files to other computers and transfer stuff.

WOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I got it to WORK!!! yes that is me running around in circles, happy as can be!!!

This Jhymn program works perfectly!! Plus..it is free. It say's you have to pay, but they say that because of legal issues. They mention that this program is free..

This is great!! whew. Saved money!!!