Getting back into CS:S

Famas Headshots abound! after a 2-3 month hiatas, i've decided to drop back into the wonderful game of counterstrike, during my time off i've been spending time with Battlefield 2, Makai Kingdom, Gunz Online, City of Heroes, and various other games.

I've been doing fairly poorly, so i ask for your mercy as i try valiently to shoot you... i'll pick it back up.. eventually :) Also, i've been thinking it over and i think within the next few(by few i mean it could be a lil while) months i'll probably be joining up with GC.. you guys are a community to die for, and have made me feel very welcome - i dont want to commit to anything just yet, but ill get in touch within the next few months :)

On that note, my Microphone has now broken :| cat chewed right through the wire.. i was a bit upset at this - but it got me wondering, i've gone through around roughly 10!! microphones in my time as a gamer, they just arent that durable.. and things happnen that just arent my fault (atleast, thats what im going to pretend) So other then me stating that im back, i was wondering if ANYONE can reccomend a very solid microphone, Now i Already have a pair of Senn headphones, so i dont need a 'set', i JUST need a microphone.. i was suprised at the lack of products available and i figured someone would Have to make some sort of quality gaming mic... right?

And a hearty welcome back you deserve. I missed those FAMAS headshots (though, that's likely because of the sheer coincidence that I was on your team much of the time.)

You really aren't going to find a "good" PC microphone... ...such a thing almost doesn't exist. You either get a $15 cardioid, on a stand with a paper-thin cable, or you get a $15 cardioid on a headset with a paper-thin cable.

In those cases, a mic's a mic.

I know that you do a little remixing, but is it all software based, or do you have any musical hardware? It may be better off for you to buy a cheap stage mic than an "expensive" desktop mic - if for no other reason than your cable would then be 8x thicker, at least.

You might consider spending $25 or so on the kind of mic that a garage band might rehearse with. That's only really a consideration if you have an external amplifier/mixer/stereo reciever that your mic can go through before you plug it in Line-in. Not many soundcards have the juice to run this mythical "good" microphone of which you speak.

You really aren't going to find a "good" PC microphone...  ...such a thing almost doesn't exist.  <blah blah>

Not many soundcards have the juice to run this mythical "good" microphone of which you speak.

:erm:

My mythical "good" microphone shares its energy (juice) from apples.

Thanks for all the microphone replies, I do remix tunes, and because of that i have an expensive pair of Sennheiser HD500 Headphones (they were top of the line when i bought them) Thats why i dont need a set of headphones AND a microphone, i just need a microphone.

And on that note, if Anyone plays a lot of games with headphones, the headphones i just listed are Probably the Best headphones you could *possibly* buy for gaming, you could leave them on for days and not feel even an inch of discomfort, and the sound is simply to die for - i'd play with these headphones over any surround-sound system.

I bought a cheapy desktop mic, Labtec stuff. ill see you in game at some point :) I'll be blabbing about formulating plans, and where the enemy is, and other such things.

BTW - Whoever requested that Castlevania song? its almost done >.>

Heh. Sweet, K. That was me again.

Right now, (and likely 'til the end of concert season) I've got a cheap $10 Creative mic sitting on my desktop.

Those Senns are phenomenal headphones, indeed. I think the only thing I'd rather wear is a pair of Shure E5c earbuds. They are better 2.1 than a 2.1 home system, and so comfortable that I actually enjoy wearing them.

Heh. That they are. I suppose they're actually 2.2. The E5s have two drivers in each earpiece. One for highs and one for lows.

Normally I use my 5.1 system - and I fire in 3 round bursts, because that's how I always used to play... ...and because you used to be able to kill a man in 3 rounds (or at least I used to)... ...any more, and I'm either frustrated with myself, blind, or I got the crap scared out of me.

Oh, and the specs for the HD600 are some of the best that I've seen. I mean, they look really, really pretty on paper. As good as a decent PA system, anyway (if a little bit quieter). Mmmmmmm, good.

Not bad, Duma.  I wouldn't recommend recording a studio album with the included microphone, but it'll more than do the job you're looking for.  Better than your standard desktop mic, that's for sure.

I just use it to play CS:S. It does its job. I like it much better than my old headset.