A fresh new formated computer

Ice_Berge_00

wow, was this an interesting night...

So for awhile now I've been planning to format my computer. It's been needing it and I finally just said, OK Doing it this weekend.

So I did my backups and began the long process of reinstalling windows and all my programs. Things went pretty well, I was up and running with the latest drivers and had steam (HL2 and CS:S updated) and my basic programs all installed in about 4-5 hours.

That's when things started to get interesting...

I first installed steam using an old download of the orignal steam installer that includes HL1 and CS 1.6 with it. Then I realized it'd take forever to download CS:S and I wanted to play at least some of map night. So I grabbed my HL2 install CDs (all 5 of 'em) and decided to install that instead and just download the old cs and hl1 later the long way.

Well, here's were I biffed, I uninstalled Steam (cs 1.6 install). It went well, didn't even ask for a reboot (Big mistake/bug) and so I right away installed HL2.

Soon I was off playing CS:S and all was good :boing: Well, at one point tonight I had a lockup and had to reboot. To my utter frustration and shock :unsure: , it seems that the uninstall I did of steam had in fact REQUIRED a reboot but not said it did!!! So it went ahead and deleted the steam files and ALL of my Steam Games (HL2 and CS:S) after I booted up!! So as I notice that my steam hadn't started and suddenly my shortcuts didn't work I started checking. Sure enough the core files for steam were all gone! Addionally there was no "repair" option. :bang:

Unfortunately my only option was to reinstall everythign AGAIN and redownload the updates AGAIN!!

I just had to vent a little

Now, being a computer engineer, I probably should've known better and rebooted when I uninstalled a program and planned to reinstall it again, but still! You'd think that they'd have some kind of msg/prompt to the user to restart the computer to finish the uninstall!! :meanface:

Well, I suppose the one silver lining I have is that for teh time I was playing I noticed that my low FPS issues in CS:S seem to be gone after the format! I was cruising for fps in the game the whole time :luxhello:

So that's something at least...

We all do it from time to time man. I trashed (actually broke it in half) a motherboard thinking it was fried and it turned out to be a bad power supply. I about cried but it was too late. Well at least your mess up didn't cost ya $85 lol.