Kind of makes you feel small eh?

NOFX

its pictures like those that almost force someone to beleive that there is intelligent life out there someone, you imagine for all thos stars (within sight) that they have the possiblility of having other solar systems attached, which also have the possibility of having other planets, which could possibly contain life.. i tell you if there isn't life out there i woulda done won the lottery 5,000,000,000,000 times with those odds...

Yes its quite amazing. Being a science buff it never ceases to. The earth is 24,980 miles in circumference. Jupiter is 11 times that. The earth is one parsec or 93000000 miles away from the sun. The speed of light is 186292 miles per second and even at that speed it would take 100000 years to cross our galaxy. or 4 and a half years to get to the closest star to us, Proxima Centauri. And it gos on and on! Love science and astronomy. :D

I'm tellen ya that once humanity learns to harness the power of gravity that near light speed travel is possible. Unfortunately for us we wont be around in your normal sense to see it.

Or one could just wait till they meet our Maker and have all the questions answered.

Some days, if you think about it long enough you can grasp, if only for a fleeting moment, the depth of the statement that you WILL one day leave this place.

just this past weekend i visited the Goddard space center in maryland

my roommate from school werks for NASA now

got to see the hubble building where they control it

amazing.

saw a HUGE blow up of that picture you posted too (the second one)

inside the hubble building they have jimungous pics blown up and printed on teh walls

i told them if they are lookin for ppl to goto mars, GC would be happy to go there

perhaps a future FragFest will be there!!!!

(edited)
its pictures like those that almost force someone to beleive that there is intelligent life out there someone, you imagine for all thos stars (within sight) that they have the possiblility of having other solar systems attached, which also have the possibility of having other planets, which could possibly contain life.. i tell you if there isn't life out there i woulda done won the lottery 5,000,000,000,000 times with those odds...

The first picture is a galaxy made up of millions of stars, the second is 10,000 galaxies all made of millions of stars each..

In my point of view, I dont see why one would assume there isnt life out there. I mean we only know our solar system. There are millions of stars in our solar system, which leads to the possibilty for those stars to have solar systems. And then..... There are 10,000 galaxies(just in that picture) with millions of stars in each galaxy, all with potential to have a solar system :o

And most poeple think of life needs oxygen and water, well while Im sure the chance of something out there possesing these two is very good, what about the stuff we have never even thought about. There are gases and matter that we have never seen that life forms could use just like we use oxygen. Or they could possibly be living off nitrogen and hydrogen

Edited by NOFX

People have asked me if there is life in the universe. I tell them that their asking the wrong question. They should be asking "where else in the universe does life exist?". Some dont seem to understand that we are a lifeform and we do exist in the universe. One guy told me that people who think there is life in the universe are idiots. Well Im not sure what he thinks he is. I dont think they really grasp the magnitude and size of the universe as we do, but then again most people other than us dont know how to replace a harddrive either. :D

Edited by TheReverend(c)

Guest tackleberry
Guest tackleberry
Guest tackleberry
Guests

it is suPrising... the emmensity... but then again everything is relative. I'm typically too absorbed in my own self boom hs k:d bigness to stop and ponder the boundless nature of the expanding universe...i typically pull down the shades when its sunny rather than bask in awe under the rays of a gorgeous, self-enduring, fusion-reactive, life permiiting sun because although it can do all that...it doesnt kno how to do so without putting some glare on the monitor that is just unacceptable for the frags baby.

Ive said wow thats a $#Qing big bee (fruitfly), ive also said look at his record!! 21-2 UNBELIEVABLE! But Ive never said @#@$! the distance to pluto, 3243265 * 3E8 miles away, huge....because as we all know, and I know for sure because ive spec'd and re-spec'd...God hax.

On a more mellow tone...yeah the hubble is tight...unfortunately i think they have or will be taking it out of commission...

another comment...i think its important, when talking of the subject of our alone-ness in the universe...to the define what one means by life. Because certainly...when glen armstong or whoever emptied his astropotty in the privacy of the darkside of the moon...more microbes than people on this earth were released free to roam the vast expanses of the final frontier. oh... no ur asking about intelligent life, u say? ic...that def'n is certainly much clearer. ask the Raelian sect...negative!

and related to astronomy...when i heard this it really made me go WOW like WoW...how many people are aware that there are actually 10 planets instead of just 9(?). Yes... i kid you not...there exists a planet outside of pluto whose orbit is conditioned by our sun. Im not talking uranus, whose orbit, btw...at times, makes it the farthest away....but a seperate planet at least half? the size of pluto, nicknamed...i kid u not...XEENA. It has a toolbox name like U3423 and is yet to be christened. Don't believe me? Don't take my word for it. The fact that theyve only confirmed it recently does kinda makes ya wonder tho...

also recently theyve undertaken the largest star charting program in history...sposed to eventually map the entire known universe. Now i know what ur saying...dont jump out of your seat agast...einstein and others all agree that the universe is expanding and no fathomable equation can even describe its bounds....such a task is impossible indeed! Apparently...the awp of science has garnered a scope of such depth range and precision they are simply going to map the sky in 4 outward distinct directions until each map...as so percieved, looks exactly the same.

It is suprising...and a bit humbling...for all the technology and innovation of our kind, with a dual cor 64 6800 mx1000 in hand, how indifferent, undifferent, just how small, wee people have remained.

Now ive been put in a pensive mood...makes me wanna put down the mouse and get on with research and school. apologies if this was an eyesore...but its nice to sometimes to take a step back and just look on larger ways. Can't stay zoomed in all the time, ya heard?...play scopeless...

and related to astronomy...when i heard this it really made me go WOW like WoW...how many people are aware that there are actually 10 planets instead of just 9(?). Yes... i kid you not...there exists a planet outside of pluto whose orbit is conditioned by our sun. Im not talking uranus, whose orbit, btw...at times, makes it the farthest away....but a seperate planet at least half? the size of pluto, nicknamed...i kid u not...XEENA. It has a toolbox name like U3423  and is yet to be christened. Don't believe me? Don't take my word for it. The fact that theyve only confirmed it recently does kinda makes ya wonder tho...

well, further research would indicate there are only 8 planets instead of 9. With this "new" planet found that is half the size of pluto, it brings into question, what is a planet. This planet just like pluto is some rock left over after an astroid blew up(or something like that) As we look further into space, we see more and more of these orbiting in our solar system, so is pluto really a planet or could we conisder it just a large peice of rock?