Attracting players to #4

toolbear74

Something needs to be done to attract players to #4. It's pretty much dead all the time. GC members have given up on it. Lately whenever I go to #1 or #2 and ask GC to hop over to #4, nobody wants to do it for various reasons.

Something needs to be done like on #5 which runs the zombie mod and has already exposed some new people to the GC community. I have a few suggestions:

1) 24/7 Office

The IllSkillz 24/7 Office server is packed most of the day and is almost never empty. And frankly, we run servers better than they do, so there's no reason we couldn't move in on the 24/7 Office scene.

2) 24/7 Custom maps

Good-bye office, dust, dust2, cbble, italy, etc.. Hello lost_temple, thematrix, junkyard, haste, et al. Switch maps at 7 wins, 5-0 is a skunk, and lower the map time accordingly.

3) Run a mod

Check out the #5 forum for discussions about a new mod for #5. Run one of those mods, or a different one.

4) 24/7 Pistol & Shotties

Name says it all.

The few times we've gotten GC members to come to the server, some new faces started showing up (most with Texan accents). There is a pool of players out there, we just have to reach critical mass and get onto people's favorites tab.

alas, I've been gone for the past week and 1/2. I assure you, the server will take off now that I've returned.

What!! you don't believe me?! :o

Haha, ok, maybe my ego's writing checks my skills can't cash. Anyways, there is a post regarding ideas for the server. We ARE open to suggestions. Lets get some people going in there and we can turn it into a packed house!

Haha, ok, maybe my ego's writing checks my skills can't cash.  Anyways, there is a post regarding ideas for the server.  We ARE open to suggestions.  Lets get some people going in there and we can turn it into a packed house!

Yeah, Berge, I saw the topic about a "fun night" each week. I didn't want to coopt the thread with my more radical suggestion. Although, I guess if I think about it, my suggestion amounts to "whatever you decide, make it 24/7".

With the primary goal of attracting players, of my four original suggestions, I think 24/7 Office is the best bet. My hopes with that suggestion are:

a) it will attract players

B) said players can be brought to appreciate the GC community (#5 with Zombie mod seems to be our laboratory for this)

c) GC members will want to play on it. This is a necessity to achieve (B)

d) players will cross over to other GC servers

e) eventually, we'll retire 24/7 Office and have either a Stock or Scopeless server in the Southwest

[edit]

But more than anything, I think we need to try something different, whatever that may be, because the current setup doesn't bring people in. Whereas #5 and #6 do.

Edited by toolbear74

I"m very leary to do anymap 24/7. In my experience it just gets very old and repetitive and I really have no interest whatsoever in playing a server that does that. That said, we'll of course give the people what they want.

I"m thinking something like server 2 but with a fun night of sorts. This could of course change. This is all just my thinking though. There's 3 lead admins for the server so it'll be a group decision

• 2 weeks later...
Nox

I love the shotties and pistols idea. I've never like 24/7 maps of any kind. I would go to this server when the :MW was full, but I never knew about it. I'm not sure it shows up in my game browser - even when "not full" filter has been turned off. I'll add it to my favorites tonight.

I also like the complete custom maps idea. i used to play CS 1.6 on an all custom maps server that limited each team to 1 AWP. Not sure how they did that, but it was first to buy got the gun or something.

Some ideas anyway.

Edited by EST.79

technically it wasn't "shut" down, it "went" down

yes I know, picky, but none-the-less it is being worked on. Dirk's trying to get a new machine up in place of the old one. The server ran great for awhile, then suddenly we started having issues with crashes, hence the change. Unfortunatley it means plans for #4 are on hold for now. We'll get posted back up as soon as we have it up and running for you guys though.

In the mean time, keep any suggestions/ideas you have coming!!

technically it wasn't "shut" down, it "went" down

yes I know, picky, but none-the-less it is being worked on.  Dirk's trying to get a new machine up in place of the old one.  The server ran great for awhile, then suddenly we started having issues with crashes, hence the change.  Unfortunatley it means plans for #4 are on hold for now.  We'll get posted back up as soon as we have it up and running for you guys though. 

In the mean time, keep any suggestions/ideas you have coming!!

Oi! I thought it was shut down due to the fact that it was empty 80 percent of the time and we had 5 other servers.