Hammer

mookie

I started playing with Hammer today (working on making the Stack from Goldeneye as a simple level). Anyway, I started using the vertex tool to make ramps, and somehow I got a box on the map that wasn't anything (went to properties, it had no properties). It wouldn't go away, so I saved and reloaded. Now that box is gone, but there's no picture in the camera view! This is a big problem. I've tried it on wireframe, textured, and the otehr one, all with no luck. I can position a camera inside my rooms and it shows up on the three views, and i can even move the angle of the camera by clicking and dragging in the camera pane, but I get no image. The level still plays fine, so I don't think it's a light source issue. If anyone knows how to fix this, let me know, because I'd rather not scrap an hour or so of work.

Hrm. Intriguing. It won't be a lighting issue, because lights don't exist inside Hammer. They have to be rendered first.

Have you rebooted? The 3D view is just a GL window - or at least, it has been since just after Half-Life. So if it's monkeying around, it could be Windows' fault.

GC Alumni

Just rebooted the computer and it's working fine now. Must have had something to do with me checking the "don't show this again" box when it said my machine was crying like a baby. Probably pressed undo too many times.

Ice, are you talking about ...Temple?

And Mookie, that would make sense. The warning for the system load has been happening more since it was build into the new Source SDK. ...it has been lagging a little bit more than it used to. But it's also more stable than it used to be. I just turned it right off, and I really haven't had a problem, except for a little lagging here and there when I zoom out, which can't be helped right now, anyway. Just save often, reload often and you should be relatively good.

...and yes, pop-up boxes + GL windows = badness. Very badness.

GC Alumni

I remember that map, it was loosely based on Temple but was full of hidden rooms and stuff, with hidden weapons also. IIRC, after that night the stats still showed someone with a scoped weapon kill (aug I think) up until the servers changed.

GC Alumni

Anyway what I'm working on is a replica of the Library (Stack + Basement). I figured this would be the easiest thing to start mapping with, since everything in the level is at right angles, and I could measure all the rooms of the Stack by counting the floor tiles (not as tedious as it sounds, biggest room is 30 tiles square). So far it's easy going, I've got the top level of the Stack done with about an hour of work, but the first floor and basement are a lot more complex as I'm sure you all recall.

GC Alumni

OK I'm done making the walls of the Stack (sliding doors still need to be done) and I'm about to start on the basement. I've tested it with some bots and they seem to navigate OK, which is hopefully a good sign. Meanwhile, I cannot figure out how to make a buyzone.

Mookie, make a brush, or a bunch of brushes that totally cover the spawn - you might want to texture them with no-draw, or something specific, so that you know what they are in Hammer. It really doesn't matter what the texture is, in-game. They'll be invisible. Just make sure that the models, or a part of the model is inside the box. When I make them, I make a big, thin metal plate as long and wide as the spawn, and that cuts through the shins of my CTs/Ts. You could make the buyzones higher, but you used to be able to drown in buyzones, back in the original CS. I don't know if that's still a problem, and I'm probably not going to take the time to find out.

Right-click the box you just made and choose "Tie to Entity".

Find "func_buyzone"

Choose the "Team Number" and select between Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist in the drop down menu. And there you have a buyzone.

PS: CT buyzones in T spawn and T buyzones in CT spawn aren't as cool as you would think...

Edited by Norguard

Sweet deal. I always thought that was fun, back in the day. Drowning in illusionary objects / fog. It was a really easy to add that sort of maze element in a single-player game. Make fog as high as your head, and you'll slowly drown if you don't find high ground.

I used to do way more mapping back in the Half-Life days.

Those were good times *sniffle* ...good times...