Q-Fan

Slimmage

I recently purchased a new computer and am currently running an AMD X2 4400 on an Asus A8N SLI-Premium mobo.

I was quite intrigued by the idea of the Asus Q-Fan technology that changes cpu fan speeds according to system stress and temperature as a way of keeping down system noise. The problem I'm having with it is that when I boot my cpu I get a warning message saying that my CPU fan has failed or is too slow. Is this normal with Q-Fan enabled? or am I running the risk of frying my cpu? AFter bypassing that warning I have checked PC Probe and it says all temperatures are normal so I'm thinking that the fun is just stopped for a few seconds on startup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wait, is the Q-Fan for the CPU or case? Because I don't think I'd fool around with the CPU fan.

There's a video floating around the internet where someone took the fans and heatsinks off an Intel and an AMD chip. The Intel chip was fine for 60 seconds or so, and then started heating up pretty quickly. The AMD chip fried almost instantly. Naturally, you'd be keeping the heatsink on, but I'd personally be a bit on the worried side if the fan didn't kick on until after the processor chip got too hot.

On a separate note, you have the same mobo + proc as I do (but mine's not dual core). It rocks -- I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your system!

Those were old Socket A chips, Unclean. Tom's Hardware does that stuff all of the time.

The new chips (more correctly, the motherboards) shut themselves off if their temperature reaches critical. New AMD chips actually use just a fraction of the electricity of new Intel chips. Way less juice = way less heat.

Slim, I can't imagine that ignoring the error should be a regular occurance. I also think that if your CPU was in any real danger, the PC would have rebooted.

One thing that you should make absolutely sure of, if you built the PC, and even if you got somebody else to, is that the CPU fan is plugged into the proper CPU fan head. If it's plugged into one intended for the case, or the Northbridge, you're going to get errors when the board wants to spin down the case, but ends up spinning down the CPU, or wants to rev the processor, but its temperature doesn't change.

there should be an option in the bios to disable your cpu fan speed warning. it's probably starting up with your fan off because it's cold still and your bios just sees the cpu fan not spinning so it warns you. some mobos let out a nice screeching noise.

btw, with my dfi i can adjust the fan speeds based on temp. my cpu fan doesn't even spin at idle when running 2.5ghz with 1.52v. temp is 30c in mbm.